Strange metal projection in my PC case got bent

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
I opened up my PC case today and a while later found I had difficulty in putting the cover on afterwards. I then discovered a little metal projection on the edge of the case where the cover meets it that looked bent back on itself. The thing is, I've seen this projection before: it looks like a semicircular disc with a hole in the middle, and it is on the edge of the case.

The thing is, since it was apparently damaged, I had no choice but to bend it out of the way so I could close the cover on the case, but I am wondering what it does, what its purpose is? If I can find a close-up picture of it, I will post it.

it is likely meant as a place to chain the case to table/somesuch on public computers, at same time preventing anyone from opening the case.
Not that I have seen them much lately but... I think that is it's purpose.

That is just a guess though since.. as was said, no pictures.

Foebane72

Honorable
Jun 8, 2016
This is the closest I've seen to my case, but this is not my exact case:

backpanel.jpg

Underneath the case fan grille on the right, where the bunch of wires poke out, there's a little projection of metal that looks like what I'm describing, but it's hard to tell because it's almost end-on.

That's what I mean, and that's what somehow got bent when I tried to put the cover on. However, I didn't notice it until it was bent back on itself.

well, best "close enough" image I found was this:
http://www.noblelocks.com/padlock/PADCO.html
which is pretty much same, it locks case side panel to case and/or to table with a chain. And yes, it seems flimsy enough to break.

The theory most likely is same as with any lock, it's only for "honest" people. Someone who has prepared to get it, WILL get it but the goal is likely to make it cause effort/time/noise/stuff which makes stealing the case kind of "not worth it"

I would think that said loop hole is sturdy enough that yes, you can bend it but once chain/lock is attached, it reduces bending radius by a LOT which makes breaking it off by bending it back and forth impossible. twisting it? I doubt that would work well either, not that I have tried myself but I think the metal is soft enough to just twist, not break off.