[SOLVED] Strange POST issue

Jan 30, 2019
Good afternoon, I am facing a strange issue with a custom PC build. It's a client of the company. Let me give you a quick breakdown. One time the graphics card mysteriously failed. I replaced it, and it never had an issue again. Yesterday, the client came needing it to work for a three screen set-up. I swapped the graphics card out for a new one capable of doing so. Right there, the computer refused to display anything at all. Also, it powers up; but it does not want to turn off using the power button. It turns off using the power supply button. I tried going back to the old graphics card, and the issue still persists. I also reset the CMOS. It does have a red light marked CPU and an orange light which I assume is the HD? It's the Crosshair IV motherboard. I am panicking on this because since the computer was brought in for just an upgrade and working fine, we would be liable for this. I can't seem to imagine that anything serious happened since it was working properly.

Solution
Sorry, when I read you post I thought it indicated that, although booting was very difficult, you could get it to boot sometimes but with no display on the monitor. Not so.

I looked up your mobo's manual available here

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_IV_FORMULA/HelpDesk_Manual/

See p. 2-3 to 2-5 for the locations and names of several indicator LED's on the board. See p. 2-2 for the colour codes of four of them. NOTE that each LED can be set in BIOS to display one set of codes out of a possible 2 or 3, and I would assume for now that each is set currently to display the default first set. Note particularly on p 2-5, item 7, that there is a set of four POST state LED's at the front edge beside the main power connector...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since you changed to a new video card, did you try anything to load drivers for it? You have not said so. I presume you have connected all power supply cables required by the new graphics card.

Try this. As you boot, hold down the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode. This mode installs only a few essential device drivers, and that means it will not try to use the old graphics card's drivers. Instead it will load only a simple driver for basic video options. In that case you MAY need to make a connection from the graphics card's output ports to a monitor using some simple method like VGA or DVI. If that gets you a screen display, go into Control Panel ... System ... Hardware ... Device Manager. Find the listing for the old video card's device driver and Remove (Delete) it, and remove that old device. If it had other features like some audio devices built into the old video card, delete them and their drivers also.

With those items cleared out, now look for a CD of drivers etc. that came with the new video card. Assuming that card is in place now, run that CD to use its Install tools to install all the device drivers for this new card. When that's done, back out, remove the CD from the optical drive, and reboot normally. If this all works, Windows' collection of device drivers will have been updated and you can use the new card. You may have to make a few configuration settings and change the cable connection between card and monitor to get it to work with ONE monitor first. Then you can proceed to using three.

Jan 30, 2019
I am not sure if you read the entire post, but the system does not boot. The fans and lights are on though. I tried the GPU in a different computer, and it works. I googled it and saw several people with this isssue, but no solution. Once it powers on, it won't turn off unless you use the PSU switch. The cpu red light and orange hd lights are also on.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, when I read you post I thought it indicated that, although booting was very difficult, you could get it to boot sometimes but with no display on the monitor. Not so.

I looked up your mobo's manual available here

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_IV_FORMULA/HelpDesk_Manual/

See p. 2-3 to 2-5 for the locations and names of several indicator LED's on the board. See p. 2-2 for the colour codes of four of them. NOTE that each LED can be set in BIOS to display one set of codes out of a possible 2 or 3, and I would assume for now that each is set currently to display the default first set. Note particularly on p 2-5, item 7, that there is a set of four POST state LED's at the front edge beside the main power connector socket, and these light up in sequence as the POST proceeds, halting at a fixed on state if there is a major problem at that stage. So, with that info, post back here which lights do what as the system tries to start. That will give more info to decipher.

Solution