strong fan noise

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
today i upgraded my mobo,cpu and ram. and i have a strong fan noise. using gigabyte's system information viewer, I see that i have one fan going auto on 2050+ is that normal?

Solution
OK, that should enable us to help. To be sure I understand, your system has two fans in total. One is the fan supplied with and mounted on the Scythe CPU cooler system, and it is plugged into the mobo CPU_FAN header, I presume. The other is a fan supplied with your case. You say it is the "top case fan", although the Thermaltake website suggests its one fan is mounted on the back. Does not matter. You also say that the fan that shows high speed on your screen readouts is the CPU_OPT fan, so I will assume that the case fan is plugged into that mobo header.

Now, usually a case ventilation fan would be plugged into a mobo SYS_FAN header, but your mobo has enough flexibility that we can make the required adjustments without changing where...

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
If it's that fast, it may be the CPU fan. With the side panel off, are you able to identify which one is making all the noise? Are you able to change any settings using Gigabyte's software (EasyTune)? How do the temperatures look?

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

the cpu is 37C. the noise is from the top case fan.
when i try to change anything on easytune the app crashes.
in System Information Viewer, smart fan 5 advanced the fan name is cpu opt.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

ET does have a tendency to crash. They really need to update that program.

If the motherboard can't control it, then you may want to hook that fan up to a manual controller (a cheap PCI fan controller costs less than $10), or even replace it with a lower speed fan. The temperatures don't seem to be a problem, so it cant hurt!

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

I have a fan controller, but it doesn't seem to do something.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There could be a mis-match of fan type, mobo header settings and connection points. For more complete help, post back this info.

1. Exactly what case?
2. Exactly - maker and model number - what mobo?
3. What is your CPU cooler system, and where is it plugged in?
4. How many fans are being used for case ventilation.
5. Exactly - maker and model numbers - what case ventilation fans do you have, and where is each plugged in? If you have only the fans supplied pre-installed in the case, you may not be able to get them out to find model numbers, but that's OK. We can probably figure that part out from the case specs.

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

I don't know anything about connection types and all that.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, that should enable us to help. To be sure I understand, your system has two fans in total. One is the fan supplied with and mounted on the Scythe CPU cooler system, and it is plugged into the mobo CPU_FAN header, I presume. The other is a fan supplied with your case. You say it is the "top case fan", although the Thermaltake website suggests its one fan is mounted on the back. Does not matter. You also say that the fan that shows high speed on your screen readouts is the CPU_OPT fan, so I will assume that the case fan is plugged into that mobo header.

Now, usually a case ventilation fan would be plugged into a mobo SYS_FAN header, but your mobo has enough flexibility that we can make the required adjustments without changing where you plug in your fan. Just to help you, start with your mobo manual on p. 25. You will need to get into BIOS Setup to change a couple of settings. As background, this might help. Your case fan is of the 3-pin design, and the only way to control its speed is if the mobo header it is plugged into uses Voltage Control Mode, aka DC Mode. But by default your mobo is set to use PWM mode instead. When it does things that way, a 3-pin fan can only run full speed all the time. I'll tell you how to change that.

To get into BIOS Setup to start, the manual says to push the "Del" key while it is first starting up. I find just tapping it does not work - the system often is so busy it does not notice that. Instead, push the front Power button and them immediately push and HOLD DOWN the "Del" key until the screen shows you the opening screen of BIOS Setup (p. 26). With the "MIT" heading at top selected, scroll down to the "Smart Fan 5 Settings" line and choose that. Go to manual p. 31 under Smart Fan 5 Settings. This is where you can select any of several fan headers and configure each one separately. Note under "Monitor" you select which fan - choose the CPU_OPT header, since that is where your case fan is connected. You need to set three things. Under "Fan Speed Control" set to "Normal". Under "Fan Control Use Temperature" set to use the "Motherboard" temperature sensor. Under "Fan / Pump Control Mode" set to use "DC Mode". Now escape out of this screen back to the main MIT screen (p. 26) and choose on the top the "Save and Exit" screen - see p. 42. Select the first line, "Save and Exit Setup", and hit Enter. The system will save your changes and reboot using them. That should put your top fan under automatic control based on a temperature sensor on the mobo (to sense the case internal temperature) and using the correct control method so the fan speed CAN run slower when the system is not under heavy load.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The easy answer first: if your system is running, then your CPU cooler is doing the most important part of its job. With no CPU cooling, the chip would overheat very quickly and the entire system would shut down and refuse to start up again until it cooled off.

Now, a better answer is whether it is doing the BEST job, not just "adequate". For this you need a tool to observe CPU temperature, and some knowledge of what is "normal" for your CPU.

In BIOS Setup where fan settings are configured there should be a display of the CPU temperature. This will tell you the current temperature, but it's hard to get that reading when you are doing real work. Instead, check the CD that came with your mobo for a monitoring utility able to show you temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, etc. It's a little application that runs under Windows, so you can set it running and watch things on your screen as you do real work. That gets you real-time temperature readings.

Now, what it "normal" for a CPU's internal temperature varies a lot from one type to another. Try searching the internet for information of "normal" and "maximum" temperatures for your particular CPU chip. Then you can compare to what you are getting. As long as you're within those ranges, your cooling system is doing exactly what it should.

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

I'm using Hwmonitor, and i see only the fan of the case and the gpu running. my i7 7700K is at 36C idle

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

68C playing GTA V.

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

what's a cpu chip? maybe z270?
in every task i do on the pc, the cpu cooler suddenly bursts on full then returns to normal.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
"CPU chip" is the main processor chip in your system. It is the one being cooled by your CPU cooler.

In Windows 10, click on the little window icon at lower left, then choose Control Panel .... Administrative Tools .... System Information. Part way down there is a heading for "Processor". That is what I'm asking.

MAYBE your last line is due to this: every time you start up the machine from being shut down or in a sleep state, the first thing it does for the fans is to turn them all on at full speed. This makes SURE that they start up. After a few seconds as the system runs through its POST process, it gets fresh readings of the actual measured temperatures it is trying to control, and reduces the fan speeds because everything is still cool and does not need much fan air blowing. Once you are running, this does not normally happen each time you start using a new application, but it DOES happen at start-ups of the system.

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

I7 7700K.
my pc is never in sleep mode.
I noticed that when i open an app, the temps goes up for few seconds, and so the fan speed increases. is there any way i can configurate the fan to know that the changing temps are just for a second?

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

That may explain the higher temperature. The Core i7-7700K has been getting a lot of complaints on heat due to poor quality thermal paste between the CPU die and heat spreader. There have been various articles on de-lidding the CPU and replacing the thermal paste. Using top-end metallic paste, there was an over 20C improvement! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kaby-lake-de-lidding-overclocking-test,4970.html

The heat spikes won't kill it according to Intel, but they really should improve it since this is considered to be a high-end CPU.

The fan control apps are made to respond in a moment's notice as a safety measure to prevent sudden overheating. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to add any sort of delay. :(

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Looking up details for that chip, I found some useful info.

1. Many people have seen what you have with this chip - when starting a new app, often its internal temperature spikes up briefly, then drops again. This is why your mobo CPU_FAN system speeds up its fan, then slows it down again. You should not try to change that, but it is NOT a reason to worry.

2. The maximum temperature for this chip normally is just over 70C.

3. This chip has a bunch of internal temperature limiting systems. If its internal temperature rises beyond its set limits, it reduces its speed and voltage settings to keep itself from overheating. Thus you are NOT likely to see it go over its limiting temperature because it will limit itself if necessary, and that does not require your CPU cooling fan to do anything more. MAYBE (speculation on my part) this is why there are brief temperature spikes at times.

4. I saw one technical review in which they used a special software tool to defeat the self-limiting feature to see what would happen, and were able to get this chip running at much higher temperatures for periods of half an hour of more with no damage evident. Thus the self-limiting temperature systems are protecting the chip well below any temperature that might be risky. Again, no worries!

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017

I can think of plenty of excellent coolers, but they can get expensive when you want everything quiet. What's your budget?

Crypto123

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

around maybe 80$.
I don't know if it matters but my case is thermaltake dokker midi, my psu CX600.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
For air coolers, the Cryorig H7 is a popular choice for your CPU, and on the high end, Noctua's NH-D15S would be a great cooler. You can also get a decent water cooler from someone like Corsair for under $80.

I personally like air coolers, because then you never have to worry about a water pump, and with the right setup, you can get near silence with air cooling. My home PC is all air cooled, and under light use with the fans turned down, the PC it totally inaudible (and this is in a house that gets quiet enough at night to hear your own heartbeat).