Stuck at Getting Windows ready after performing Windows Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
So, this morning, I ran Windows Update, went to school and when I came back home a few minutes ago, I found it stuck at Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer... I can't find a way to boot into Safe Mode. I tried running System Restore and Startup Repair from a Windows Flash Drive, but both fail and give an error. I tried unplugging my PC, but I couldn't get Boot Options screen. Is there any way to bypass Windows Update or to enter Safe Mode? Thanks!

Solution

I never have windows auto updates on....thats the devil...they always install during the worse time you could possibly want them to even if you have them set to 3am... I always put never update and just check myself every sunday. Everyone is different though. Good luck man and i hope the best for you.

RobertE

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
If you upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10 and the machine just sits there at zero percent there is a simple cure that you will see immediately. While the update window is on the desktop go to the 'Control Panel', then 'Administrative Tools' then to 'Services'. Now go down to 'Windows update' and set it to "Disabled". Immediately the installation will continue. If you had set Windows 7 updates to 'Disabled' before you started the installation you would have save lots of hours.

Michelle_52

Commendable
May 21, 2016

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I see this is resolved but thought I would chime in. If you are having issues with Windows Updates pushing themselves out sporadically you may want to grab a snapshot tool like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx so if you get a bad update you can restore to a previous point.