[SOLVED] Stuck in American Trends POST. USB Keyboard doesn't connect. Can't access BIOS or Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2020
TL-DR (too long didn't read) summary here in the bullet points:
  • PC is stuck at POST with a "NO Keyboard Detected" message.
  • I can't get into the BIOS or Windows. USB Keyboard doesn't work on any USB port, though other devices do connect / light up on USB ports.
  • I have no PS/2 ports, and there are no PCI-E cards for sale with a PS/2 connection.
  • All HDDs boot up with files in tact including C drive HDD when I connect to my older PC.
  • Tested various things (as in bullet list in the detailed info below. Nothing works.
  • Not sure on what to do to get into BIOS or in Windows.
  • For more detailed information, you can skim or read below the line.
===========================
Hello all,

I've searched online everywhere, but my problem is a bit odd and unique vs what I've seen online that was similar, so I'll explain as best as I can. Here goes:

As of Sunday, Jan 26th, my PC encountered a BSOD and I had to turn it off. When I turned it back on, it loaded up the Asus screen (with the Press F2 or DEL option). Then loaded up to a Marvell screen showing two of my 4 internal drives connected to it (as it has always done), then the Asus screen once more, and then into the American Megatrends POST screen where it shows my other two hard drives connected, my DVD drives, and the full amount of RAM as well. It also proceeded to say "NO Keyboard Detected. Press F1 to Resume".

At this point, I realized that after the BSOD, my USB keyboard was no longer detected upon turning on the PC as it had always been before, so I couldn't press F1 or anything.

I proceeded to turn the PC off, wait a moment, and turned it back on, but to no avail. The lights on NUM Lock didn't flicker on or blink or anything. It was completely off, and not responsive. I have another USB Keyboard and tried it in all ports and it didn't work either. I tested my USB keyboards on my son's laptop and they work fine.

In fact, it seems that all of the USB ports on my PC (back and front) ARE responsive to just about anything I plug into them in terms of showing connectivity. I plugged my USB mouse into all ports and the light turns on instantly within my mouse upon plugging it in.

When I plug in my Samsung mobile phone into any port via its USB cable, it beeps and shows that it's starting to charge and shows prompts on the phone as well.

Even plugging my external HDD into the ports shows that the light comes on, and i can feel the disk spinning within the external HDD as well. My USB flash drive as well shows lights come on within it on any port I plug it into.

It seems that all of my USB ports (front and back) connect with everything EXCEPT the USB keyboard.

I'm guessing it must be that a configuration within either BIOS or Windows must have somehow switched to DISABLE keyboard perhaps?

Here's a brief summary of things I've tried, in no particular order unless stated, all to no avail whatsoever:
  1. Removing and reseating RAM sticks in same locations, as well as different locations from what they originally were.
  2. Removing and using only ONE RAM stick in each of the 8 ports that I have (on 4 of those slots which are black in color instead of blue, the RAM needs to be paired so if I put only one stick in, it beeps, no matter which stick I put into the slot as it is paired and needs the other stick with it).
  3. Unplugged the computer from the power cord, held down on the power button for 30 seconds and turned the PC back on
  4. Unplugging DVD drives from motherboard
  5. Unplugging one internal HDD at a time from motherboard, as well as two at a time, and other various combinations
  6. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs
  7. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs except one and testing one on each of the SATA ports
  8. Using different HDD cables from the originals to connect them in case the cables were not working. However, each time, the ATA/ATAPI list or the Marvell list, still showed each drive I had.
  9. Unplugging all fans from motherboard
  10. Unplugging Front USB connections so that the front USB ports were not connected or receiving power (tested with my mouse which didn't light up after unplugging to confirm I unplugged it properly).
  11. Unplugging Sound Card in PCIE port from motherboard
  12. Unplugging GPU in PCIE port from motherboard (while I can't see anything on my screen at this time, I hear the same beep from my PC at the same time it would prompt the NO Keyboard Detected error. My motherboard has no onboard graphics card slot.
  13. Unplugging and replugging power supply port from motherboard
  14. Removing CMOS Battery and waiting a few minutes and then reseating the battery (did this with power off and unplugged)
  15. Resetting CMOS via the Clear CMOS button on my motherboard (did this with power off and unplugged)
  16. Removing and Replacing the CMOS Battery in my motherboard after a few minutes or so (did this with power off and unplugged)
  17. Downloading the latest BIOS file from Asus using my son's laptop and putting it onto a USB Flash Drive and plugging it into the USB port (nothing happened upon powering on the PC)
  18. Downloaded a lower BIOS file from Asus and attempted the same as above. Nothing happened
  19. Inserted my Asus DVD into the DVD drive to see if the computer would pick up the proper files and boot up to repair. Nothing happened (though I could hear the DVD spinning as normal)
  20. Inserted my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD (it's the OS I have on my PC) to see if it would boot up that way. No luck at all either... DVD spinning as normal but nothing happening on my PC
  21. Connected an old hard drive on my older PC that has Windows Vista on it (told you it's an OLD hard drive lol). It shows the drive on the list of ATA / ATAPI items but doesn't boot up or anything either.
  22. Made sure all devices, etc., were firmly plugged back into the mobo. No luck.
After trying everything above, I'm still stuck on the same American Megatrends screen with the "NO Keyboard Detected." prompt.

Of course, since I reset CMOS and removed the battery, it now also says "Please enter setup to recover bios setting" along with the "NO Keyboard Detected and Press F1 to Run Setup".

After all of my tests above, the light never came on for any of my two USB Keyboards at all, no matter what port I put them into. Yet for any other device, everything still connects.

I cannot access BIOS UEFI, I can't access BIOS by pressing F1, I cannot access Windows at all, I am simply stuck.

My mobo doesn't have any legacy PS/2 ports so I can't test an older PS/2 type keyboard onto it.

And I looked and looked online for a PCI-Express / PCIE card with legacy ports that I could plug into my motherboard with hopes, but they only seem to make PCI cards which my mobo will not fit into it at all.

I managed to plug all of my 4 internal HDD's into my older PC (including the HDD with Windows installed on it) and they all connected and I could access files, etc. All of the drives work and are not corrupt and give me no problem accessing files (thank goodness!). Not sure at this point if it's a MOBO issue, or a Windows issue.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Here's some things I've NOT yet tried:
  1. purchased a new HDD to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto it and then putting it into my PC
  2. plugging a PS/2 keyboard onto it (again, as mentioned above, not able to find a compatible card that I can use, and I've seen people try the USB adapter version to no avail)
  3. I have not removed the Intel I7 processor from the motherboard as I was afraid of what could happen if I attempted doing this.
Here are the specs, as best as I can list them, to my PC:
  • Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 Processor 3.4ghz
  • MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 gpu
  • 3 internal WD 2.0TB HDDs and 1 internal WD 750GB internal HDD
  • TeamGroup Vulcan 8GB DDR3 2133 RAM sticks (8 sticks for a total of 64GB of RAM).
  • SoundBlaster soundcard
  • Basic USB Keyboard (no gaming pc, I use my PC more for music production, audio work, video vs game playing. Only game I really played on my PC in the past was Minecraft because my son loves it).
  • Thermaltake TR2 700watt PSU
  • Standard USB (non-gaming) keyboard
At this point, I'm stuck. Can't get into BIOS or Windows and I'm not sure what else to do. Thank you all in advance. Hope to hear from you all soon. I appreciate any insight on this issue.

Last edited:
Solution
GOT IT WORKING AGAIN as I type this out from my repaired PC lol!

Thank you all for the posts, especially Spaceghaze and DSzymborski, I appreciate the constant checking in!

Turns out that when I originally attempted to Flash my BIOS the first time, and loaded up the file onto a USB Flash Drive and pressed the FLASH button in the back, it didn't take... because I forgot to RENAME the file!

While checking something else out today, I noticed a screenshot of the flashing guidelines and noticed that renaming the file was required, so I attempted it again today.

I downloaded the latest BIOS file today again, extracted it, renamed it to P9X79PRO.CAB and then put that file on my PC. I then put the flash drive in the back USB port where...
Hello all,

I have been pulling my hair out with this frustrating issue and not sure what else to do. I've searched online everywhere, but my problem is a bit odd and unique vs what I've seen online that was similar, so I'll explain it as best as I can with hopes that someone has experienced the same and has resolved the issue. Here goes:

A few days ago (Sun. Jan 26th), I was using my PC and cleaning out some files from a folder. At random (first time it's ever happened with this computer in the 6+ years of having it), it wound up with a blue screen of death and locked up, and I had to manually turn off my computer.

When I turned it back on, it started to load up the Asus screen (with the Press F2 or DEL option). Then loaded up to a Marvell screen showing two of my 4 internal drives connected to it (as it has always done), then the Asus screen once more, and then into the American Megatrends POST screen where it shows my other two hard drives connected, my DVD drives, and the full amount of RAM as well. It also proceeded to say "NO Keyboard Detected. Press F1 to Resume".

At this point, I noticed that I was unable to press F1 at all, as it seemed that after the BSOD occurred, my USB keyboard was no longer detected upon turning on the PC as it had always been before. I then proceeded to turn the PC off, wait a moment, and turned it back on, but again, to the same cycle of screens as mentioned above, and with no USB keyboard connection. The lights on NUM Lock didn't flicker on or blink or anything. It was completely off, and not responsive.

I've seen other people online have similar issues occur, though with other stories I've seen, it seemed that no USB ports worked for them, or, that it was as simple as removing their CMOS Battery and either putting it back in or replacing it with a new one and they were up and running again. However, with me, that is unfortunately not the case at all.

What makes my situation unique as well, is that with all of the USB ports on my PC (back and front), the ports ARE responsive to just about anything I plug into them in terms of showing connectivity. I plugged my USB mouse into all ports and (of course, while I can't use the mouse on POST screen) the light turns on instantly within my mouse upon plugging it in. When I plug in my Samsung mobile phone into any port via its USB cable, it beeps and shows that it's starting to charge and shows prompts on the phone as well. Even plugging my external HDD into the ports shows that the light comes on, and i can feel the disk spinning within the external HDD as well. My USB flash drive as well shows lights come on within it on any port I plug it into. With other people's posts on other forums, etc., they had commented on having no response from any of their USB ports with either keyboard, or mouse. Mine however seems to connect with everything EXCEPT the USB keyboard.

It appears that the issue only lies with my USB Keyboard not connecting at all, no lights coming on, no response to any button I press, and I'm completely stumped. To make matters worse, I have another USB keyboard and tried it as well, but it doesn't work either. It is the same kind of keyboard, a generic USB keyboard that has worked for me for years. However, neither of them turn on at all. And when I plug these keyboards into my son's laptop, they immediately connect and I can use them, so I know that the keyboards work.

At this point, I'm guessing it must be that a configuration within either BIOS or Windows must have somehow switched to DISABLE keyboard perhaps? Not quite sure, but odd that it is the only thing in USB that is not responding or lighting up or showing connection. I've never encountered anything like this in the 20+ years of using computers for my music production needs, graphics needs, etc., and it has me completely lost on how to resolve it.

Here's a brief summary of things I've tried, in no particular order unless stated, all to no avail whatsoever:
  1. Removing and reseating RAM sticks in same locations, as well as different locations from what they originally were.
  2. Removing and using only ONE RAM stick in each of the 8 ports that I have (on 4 of those slots which are black in color instead of blue, the RAM needs to be paired so if I put only one stick in, it beeps, no matter which stick I put into the slot as it is paired and needs the other stick with it).
  3. Unplugged the computer from the power cord, held down on the power button for 30 seconds and turned the PC back on
  4. Unplugging DVD drives from motherboard
  5. Unplugging one internal HDD at a time from motherboard, as well as two at a time, and other various combinations
  6. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs
  7. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs except one and testing one on each of the SATA ports
  8. Using different HDD cables from the originals to connect them in case the cables were not working. However, each time, the ATA/ATAPI list or the Marvell list, still showed each drive I had.
  9. Unplugging all fans from motherboard
  10. Unplugging Front USB connections so that the front USB ports were not connected or receiving power (tested with my mouse which didn't light up after unplugging to confirm I unplugged it properly).
  11. Unplugging Sound Card in PCIE port from motherboard
  12. Unplugging GPU in PCIE port from motherboard (while I can't see anything on my screen at this time, I hear the same beep from my PC at the same time it would prompt the NO Keyboard Detected error. My motherboard has no onboard graphics card slot.
  13. Unplugging and replugging power supply port from motherboard
  14. Removing CMOS Battery and waiting a few minutes and then reseating the battery (did this with power off and unplugged)
  15. Resetting CMOS via the Clear CMOS button on my motherboard (did this with power off and unplugged)
  16. Removing and Replacing the CMOS Battery in my motherboard after a few minutes or so (did this with power off and unplugged)
  17. Downloading the latest BIOS file from Asus using my son's laptop and putting it onto a USB Flash Drive and plugging it into the USB port (nothing happened upon powering on the PC)
  18. Downloaded a lower BIOS file from Asus and attempted the same as above. Nothing happened
  19. Inserted my Asus DVD into the DVD drive to see if the computer would pick up the proper files and boot up to repair. Nothing happened (though I could hear the DVD spinning as normal)
  20. Inserted my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD (it's the OS I have on my PC) to see if it would boot up that way. No luck at all either... DVD spinning as normal but nothing happening on my PC
  21. Connected an old hard drive on my older PC that has Windows Vista on it (told you it's an OLD hard drive lol). It shows the drive on the list of ATA / ATAPI items but doesn't boot up or anything either.
  22. Grabbed a sledgehammer and rammed the top of the computer, the sides, and the bottom (no, not really but in my head I did this Lol)
I may have missed one or two other things I tried above but that's everything I can remember having tried so far, all of which do nothing but bring me back to the same American Megatrends screen with the "NO Keyboard Detected." prompt. Of course, since I reset CMOS and removed the battery, it now also says "Please enter setup to recover bios setting" along with the NO Keyboard Detected and Press F1 to Run Setup. After all of my tests above, the light never came on for any of my two USB Keyboards at all, no matter what port I put them into. Are you as stumped as I am by reading all of this so far?

I cannot access BIOS UEFI, I can't access BIOS by pressing F1, I cannot access Windows at all, I am simply stuck. I even attempted to check my phone for a makeshift app (doubted it but still searched) that maybe would act as a hardwired keyboard and allow me to press F1, but no luck at all.

Furthermore, since my motherboard is an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, it doesn't have any legacy PS/2 ports so I can't test an older PS/2 type keyboard onto it. And I looked and looked online for a PCI-Express / PCIE card with legacy ports that I could plug into my motherboard with hopes, but they only seem to make PCI cards which my mobo will not fit into it at all.

The saving grace, is that when I took each of my 4 internal HDDs from my computer, and plugged each one at a time into my older computer, they all connected, booted up on my older computer to allow me to explore them, and all files are still in tact and on the drives, so the drives aren't fried and actually still access every file that's on them. However, with some of the comments I've seen from others who said they found out that they had a fried HDD and when replaced, their issue was resolved, I fear that won't resolve mine either since the drives are all working and connecting properly when attached to my older computer.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Here's some things I've NOT yet tried:
  1. purchased a new HDD to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto it and then putting it into my PC
  2. plugging a PS/2 keyboard onto it (again, as mentioned above, not able to find a compatible card that I can use, and I've seen people try the USB adapter version to no avail)
  3. I have not removed the Intel I7 processor from the motherboard as I was afraid of what could happen if I attempted doing this.
Here are the specs, as best as I can list them, to my PC:
  • Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard
  • MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 gpu
  • 3 internal WD 2.0TB HDDs and 1 internal WD 750GB internal HDD
  • TeamGroup Vulcan 8GB DDR3 2133 RAM sticks (8 sticks for a total of 64GB of RAM, though on POST screen, it shows DDR3 1333 instead of 2133). I've had these RAM sticks plugged into my PC for the few years I've had it with no problems at all
  • SoundBlaster soundcard
  • Basic USB Keyboard (no gaming pc, I use my PC more for music production, audio work, video vs game playing. Only game I really played on my PC in the past was Minecraft because my son loves it).
Sorry for the LONG post, but wanted to make sure I explained as much in detail as I could as I've seen other posts where little was mentioned about what was tested, what worked or failed, specs, etc. Hoping that this thread helps, and that someone can perhaps guide me in the right direction... though I'm guessing I may just need a new PC at this point from what it seems like.

As I mentioned before, I'm almost guessing based on the problem that somehow, an internal setting must have been tripped to a Disabled status somewhere that's not allowing me to connect my USB Keyboard now. Just seems weird that it's ONLY my keyboard that doesn't light up, yet everything else in any USB port does light up.

Thank you all in advance. Hope to hear from you all soon. I appreciate any insight on this issue.
First, your post is so long that I am sure you won't get any replies.

Now, can you try a PS/2 keyboard?

Yeah that's way too long. People in this forum that want to help you just want a simple explanation of your problem and what you have as specs.

It's so long that Zizo007 did not see you can't plug a PS/2 keyboard in your board since it doesn't have that port on it.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
The guy does some proper troubleshooting and documents it well and it's to long to read? Come on guys, its not even that long. Took me about 2 min to read..

What exact model of CPU do you have?

Nothing would happen if you remove the CPU, but you will need to repaste it when you put it back again.

Also what is the PSU make and model?

Jan 29, 2020
Hey Spaceghaze, thank you for the comments and reply, I appreciate it.

Forgot to list the specs of the Power supply unit. It is a Thermaltake TR2 700watt psu. And yes, the two keyboards are identical keyboards. I'd have to buy another keyboard to test a 3rd different model out to see if they work.

As far as I know, the CPU on this one is an Intel Core i7 Processor at 3.40ghz (not sure if there's more detail to it than that)

I had considered buying the USB adapter to test a PS/2 keyboard into it, since it seems the USB ports receive connection from everything else except the two keyboards that I am able to test here at home. Aside from that, I'm not quite sure what else to test.

I had even hoped that by loading up the Asus DVD, or my Windows 7 DVD, or a USB stick with the BIOS .cap file on it, that it would automatically bypass the POST screen and start booting up to BIOS or something that would repair the files, but no luck.

To Mandark, not sure how to slipstream files into Windows installer to get them onto the PC. I can access my PC's C-Drive if I plug in the internal HDD onto my older PC which shows me all of the files I have on that drive, but short of that, I can't get past any screens on my PC other being stuck on the American Megatrends POST screen.

Jan 29, 2020
TLDR and I doubt anyone will say the same.

Check the USB cable connection on the motherboard

Hey Saga, I have already checked all connections on the motherboard, unplugged and replugged everything I could back into it. It doesn't appear to be any loose connections, and in examining the mobo, I don't see anything burnt on the mobo at all whatsoever. Furthermore, the USB connections on my PC all register connection (whether a light comes on, or signal, etc), on my USB mouse, cellphone, USB external HDD, and USB flash drive when I plug those devices in to any of the USB ports. It is oddly only the 2 keyboards that I have and tested, that don't light up at all no matter where I plug them into. At least if NO usb ports worked, I could try to assume that it was something USB related altogether. Not sure with this weird issue I'm having though.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Hey Spaceghaze, thank you for the comments and reply, I appreciate it.

Forgot to list the specs of the Power supply unit. It is a Thermaltake TR2 700watt psu. And yes, the two keyboards are identical keyboards. I'd have to buy another keyboard to test a 3rd different model out to see if they work.

As far as I know, the CPU on this one is an Intel Core i7 Processor at 3.40ghz (not sure if there's more detail to it than that)

I had considered buying the USB adapter to test a PS/2 keyboard into it, since it seems the USB ports receive connection from everything else except the two keyboards that I am able to test here at home. Aside from that, I'm not quite sure what else to test.

I had even hoped that by loading up the Asus DVD, or my Windows 7 DVD, or a USB stick with the BIOS .cap file on it, that it would automatically bypass the POST screen and start booting up to BIOS or something that would repair the files, but no luck.

To Mandark, not sure how to slipstream files into Windows installer to get them onto the PC. I can access my PC's C-Drive if I plug in the internal HDD onto my older PC which shows me all of the files I have on that drive, but short of that, I can't get past any screens on my PC other being stuck on the American Megatrends POST screen.

While you are out shopping for another keyboard, get a new PSU at the same time, that model is totally crap and for all we know it might be the root if it all.

If it does not help with a new keyboard and PSU - Best bet would be to also acquire a new motherboard.

Forget booting something from USB or anything else, it wont let you past post because it is not detecting a keyboard. So it wont even try to boot from anything.

Edit; Actually i think you can save the money and skip getting a new keyboard. Get rid of that PSU asap first.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
While you are out shopping for another keyboard, get a new PSU at the same time, that model is totally crap and for all we know it might be the root if it all.

If it does not help with a new keyboard and PSU - Best bet would be to also acquire a new motherboard.

Forget booting something from USB or anything else, it wont let you past post because it is not detecting a keyboard. So it wont even try to boot from anything.

Edit; Actually i think you can save the money and skip getting a new keyboard. Get rid of that PSU asap first.

Hey Spaceghaze,

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I bought a new USB keyboard to test that option, but as I was afraid of, it didn't work at all. No matter what port I plugged it into, the same result of no light coming on, no connection to the keyboard at all was the result.

I checked for a PSU but wasn't able to find one where I had stopped so far. I'll have to check a Best Buy location near me, though I'm thinking I'll have to wind up ordering one from Amazon to test that theory out instead.

Any PSUs that you recommend that you feel are better than a Thermaltake that aren't too costly? This one I have is a 700watt, and guessing I may need more than that? I've had this PSU for a few years now so if Thermaltake is crap as you stated, thankfully it lasted this long LOL (pending that the PSU is the issue after all).

Another question regarding the PSU... is it still possible that the PSU is the problem if everything else connects EXCEPT the USB keyboard? Could a faulty PSU cause this kind of issue? Or do you think that there may be another underlying issue? I've wondered if it's a bad mobo but still think that if I could somehow manage to get F1 pressed in some way or form, that it may just allow me to boot into BIOS perhaps and see if there's a setting that is set on DISABLED regarding the keyboard that I could possibly Enable?

I was trying to also check online to see if there's a way to figure out if Windows is an issue, though guessing it may not be since I'm not even getting past POST at all.

Thanks for any other information you provide. I appreciate it! Hoping I can figure this out before buying a new motherboard or worse, a new PC altogether. Thanks again!

Jan 29, 2020
Don't laugh at this one but do you have a touch screen? Either way, does the Windows onscreen keyboard work?

Sorry Saga, this is a desktop PC without touch screen monitor... I would have tested that though if it was a touch screen lol. I WISH I had that capability, though not sure if the POST screen would recognize a touch screen F1 press in this situation or not.

I haven't yet been able to test the PSU route that Spaceghaze mentioned yet... still wondering if that will help or not given what I mentioned to him above on my last reply, but haven't been able to search for a PSU yet.

DSzymborski

Titan
I think you need to try the USB PS2 adapter. You could also try a USB PCIE adapter and see if the keyboard will work through one of those. This problem is both odd and oddly specific.

The reason you're getting PSU advice is because the PSU you have is poor quality; the only Thermaltakes worth buying are the Toughpowers. The problem isn't the wattage but the quality and the recommendation makes sense because no matter how this resolves, you do really want a new PSU.

Jan 29, 2020
I think you need to try the USB PS2 adapter. You could also try a USB PCIE adapter and see if the keyboard will work through one of those. This problem is both odd and oddly specific.

The reason you're getting PSU advice is because the PSU you have is poor quality; the only Thermaltakes worth buying are the Toughpowers. The problem isn't the wattage but the quality and the recommendation makes sense because no matter how this resolves, you do really want a new PSU.

Hey DSzymborski, thank you for the reply. I've been searching up and down online for a PCI-E adapter that I could plug into my motherboard with the PS/2 ports in the back, but so far, all I've found has been PCI adapters which oddly, my older PC that I'm using now to type this uses, but not my newer PC. I actually debated on buying a USB ps/2 adapter to see if it works, given my USB ports work, but I'm not sure if it'll relay that the ps/2 plugged into a USB adapter is a keyboard and still not access my ps/2 keyboard, so I'm still preferring a PCI-E card version vs the adapter you plug into a USB port.

That's still my main focus though is trying a ps/2 keyboard, to see if it works and lets me into BIOS so that I can see if there's a setting that tripped and went into disabling my USB keyboard. It just seems so odd to me that all the USB ports work fine with everything else except any USB keyboards that I plug in, including a new one I bought just to test it out. I wish these motherboards had at least one ps/2 port that worked with either mouse or keyboard in the event that something like this occurs. I think newer mobos I've seen are doing it now... not lucky in my case lol!

Any brands of PSUs that you recommend that are really good? I've only ever used Thermaltake in the past, but not sure of one that is recommended with better quality. And given the situation, do you think that it's possible that a PSU unit that's acting up would cause only USB keyboards to not work properly? Thanks in advance.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's hard to say if the PSU will resolve this particular issue, simply because it's such an incredibly odd one, odd enough that it's not one I've encountered in the 30+ years I've been working on PCs. Generally, the better PSUs are EVGA B2/P2/T2/G2/GS/G3, SeaSonic Focus/Plus, Corsair TX/HX/AX/RMx/RM, Antec HCG, Bifenix Whisper and PSUs like that. Tier lists are far from perfect, but the recommendations at the top of them tend to be adequate.

Yeah, no PCI slots and I don't know if a PCIE-PS2 adapter exists as I haven't come across one. That's why USB. Something odd's going on, so I think you have to try it instead of worrying whether it would work or not. Your options are limited, so the choice is to either try the options or don't. I'd try a PCIE-USB port first, honestly.

Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for the heads up DSz, I appreciate it. I will check into those PSUs as well though first I'll be going with the PS/2 option to see if I can get it up and running again.

I wasn't sure if something like this would work for example: PS/2 Keyboard to USB converter

I also saw this item, though seems the only one so far, and the review isn't good and seems the seller is no longer online: PCI-Express ps/2 adapter

Not sure of any other options that are out there that I can plug into this Asus P9x79 PRO mobo though I'm still searching around.

You're right, my options are very limited, though the fact that the USB ports work except with the keyboard give me hope that there has to be something to get a solid F1 pressed to get into BIOS.

When you say to try a PCIE-USB port, do you mean something like this item here coupled with the USB converter I mentioned above?

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Hey Spaceghaze,

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I bought a new USB keyboard to test that option, but as I was afraid of, it didn't work at all. No matter what port I plugged it into, the same result of no light coming on, no connection to the keyboard at all was the result.

I checked for a PSU but wasn't able to find one where I had stopped so far. I'll have to check a Best Buy location near me, though I'm thinking I'll have to wind up ordering one from Amazon to test that theory out instead.

Any PSUs that you recommend that you feel are better than a Thermaltake that aren't too costly? This one I have is a 700watt, and guessing I may need more than that? I've had this PSU for a few years now so if Thermaltake is crap as you stated, thankfully it lasted this long LOL (pending that the PSU is the issue after all).

Another question regarding the PSU... is it still possible that the PSU is the problem if everything else connects EXCEPT the USB keyboard? Could a faulty PSU cause this kind of issue? Or do you think that there may be another underlying issue? I've wondered if it's a bad mobo but still think that if I could somehow manage to get F1 pressed in some way or form, that it may just allow me to boot into BIOS perhaps and see if there's a setting that is set on DISABLED regarding the keyboard that I could possibly Enable?

I was trying to also check online to see if there's a way to figure out if Windows is an issue, though guessing it may not be since I'm not even getting past POST at all.

Thanks for any other information you provide. I appreciate it! Hoping I can figure this out before buying a new motherboard or worse, a new PC altogether. Thanks again!

I have seen some weird problems on systems using that exact PSU, that's why i recommended changing it first. Now i don't think that it will solve the problem, but i have i thought that it might have done something to the motherboard so it wont communicate with USB devices. At this point we can only see that USB devices that you plug-in is getting power, since they light up, but that does not show as that it is actual data communication between the motherboard and the devices, hence no USB keyboard detected. Then again it is weird that only the keyboards don't get any lights at all.

I don't think that something is disabled in BIOS, since this motherboard does not have any PS/2 ports, keyboard trough USB should be enabled by default and you did reset the CMOS.

You wont need any higher wattage PSU for that system that you all ready have, you can make do with a 600w also. Even a good 550w, but go for a 600 for good measure. DSzymborski had some good recommendations regarding models.

Regarding trying a PCI-E expantion card. I guess it is worth a try, but then again that implies that it should work out of the box, during post.

Jan 29, 2020
I have seen some weird problems on systems using that exact PSU, that's why i recommended changing it first. Now i don't think that it will solve the problem, but i have i thought that it might have done something to the motherboard so it wont communicate with USB devices. At this point we can only see that USB devices that you plug-in is getting power, since they light up, but that does not show as that it is actual data communication between the motherboard and the devices, hence no USB keyboard detected. Then again it is weird that only the keyboards don't get any lights at all.

I don't think that something is disabled in BIOS, since this motherboard does not have any PS/2 ports, keyboard trough USB should be enabled by default and you did reset the CMOS.

You wont need any higher wattage PSU for that system that you all ready have, you can make do with a 600w also. Even a good 550w, but go for a 600 for good measure. DSzymborski had some good recommendations regarding models.

Regarding trying a PCI-E expantion card. I guess it is worth a try, but then again that implies that it should work out of the box, during post.

Thanks for the reply Spaceghaze, I appreciate it.

Well, on a whim, since it was inexpensive and I'm at my wits end on how to fix (if even possible at this point) dilemma, I ordered the PS/2 to USB Keyboard Converter.

I tried it on my older PC first to make sure that it connects, and sure enough, both ps/2 keyboards that I have at home connected upon plugging it in. So I attempted to try it on my newer PC.

No luck at all. When plugging it in, I actually saw the keyboard lights flicker only when plugging it in, but no more after that. They came on briefly each time I'd plug it in, but still no connection and no response whatsoever, so that didn't work at all.

I even attempted to use the PSU of my older computer on my newer computer to see if maybe it was a power issue (though it too is a Thermaltake 600watt). The computer came up when testing that, but still, no luck as it goes to the POST screen and still the same "NO Keyboard detected" issue comes up.

At this point I'm not even sure what else to do. The only two options I'd have at this point is either to hope to find a PCI-E adapter card to plug directly onto my motherboard with hopes that it would pick up a ps/2 connection (though doubtful at this point), or to just buy either a new motherboard or new PC altogether and call it a loss.

I just don't get what's causing it to hang up at the POST screen and how to get the keyboard working again to go into BIOS and to hopefully boot up at that point.

Not sure if this would be a Windows related issue, though I'm guessing not. Not sure what else to do.

Wasn't sure if trying to take out the CPU itself and reseating it would help... guessing not either.

Any other suggestions or information is appreciated. I'm guessing my luck is running (if not completely) out. Thanks in advance!

Jan 29, 2020
Question: have you tried a wireless keyboard? Not that I like them but maybe you can at least boot.

Hey mickrc3, I've not yet tried a wireless keyboard at all, though wasn't sure with wireless keyboards, if you would need to install drivers first for the bluetooth connection before actually being able to try it. If that is the case, which I'm thinking, then I wouldn't be able to try it as I'm not able to get into anything but the POST screen where it wants me to press F1 to Run Setup, but otherwise, cannot get into Windows or anything at all. I wish I could... some people have had issues with BIOS but were at least able to get into Windows. I can't get into anything other than this annoying American Megatrends post screen lol

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the heads up DSz, I appreciate it. I will check into those PSUs as well though first I'll be going with the PS/2 option to see if I can get it up and running again.

I wasn't sure if something like this would work for example: PS/2 Keyboard to USB converter

I also saw this item, though seems the only one so far, and the review isn't good and seems the seller is no longer online: PCI-Express ps/2 adapter

Not sure of any other options that are out there that I can plug into this Asus P9x79 PRO mobo though I'm still searching around.

You're right, my options are very limited, though the fact that the USB ports work except with the keyboard give me hope that there has to be something to get a solid F1 pressed to get into BIOS.

When you say to try a PCIE-USB port, do you mean something like this item here coupled with the USB converter I mentioned above?

Yes. It gets your existing USB controllers completely out of the mix.

I'm ready to launch your motherboard into the sun, so I can imagine how you're feeling about this whole mess right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.