Question Stuck in BIOS UEFI recovery without keybord , do I need PS2 keyboard ?

Aug 16, 2021
Hello,

AFter having trouble with recognition at the same time of my W10 USB memory stick (done with MCT) and the sata HDD and SDS (and dvd) in that new computer - ASROCK B560 PRO4 and Intel ALG1200, I tried to revert bios to default, but now none USB keyboard is availabe at startup
Tested the PS/2 port with a simple PS2 USB adapter with no succes (2 different USB keyboard tested)
Tested all USB ports

The bios is waiting for F2 or DEL toi pursue the recovery of UEFI.

Is there a workaround or may I find a PS2 keyboard ?

I was wondering, if I unplug all HDD and SDS and DVD, (and even the Intel processor) will I be able to flash bios using an USBstick ? (I doubt of it as there is no flash button, I have an initial screen with F6 choice to "instant flash" but without keyboard it is not useful at all.

I could eventually buy a bios chipset and solder it, but I doubt it is as simple as that ;)
I will try to borrow, or find an old "original" ps2 keyboard (I would be happy to find an old IBM mechanical one btw !)
Thank you in advance. I am just trying to make a more modern PC, I always used recup precedent generation ones and they where OK for what I do.

I suppose no trick with a short in the PS2 connector ? (I did see PS2 emulators , but way too expensive, and I dont even know if the PS2 port will activate)

Sorry I am lenghty

Mod Edit:

BTW I watch that site for a very long time now, one of the best in my opinion
(In French we call that " passer la brosse a reluire" - make it shine with the shining brush ;) ) But it is true , in the end .

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"PS/2 port with a simple PS2 USB adapter".

Are you certain that the adapter works?

Make and model of USB keyboard?

I do not recommend trying to solder in some other "BIOS chipset". Only as a very last resort and if you are willing to destroy the motherboard as a "learning experience"....

Aug 16, 2021
Thank you for the answer. I just cannot test those adaptors (cheap ones sold by 5) as I have no unit with PS2 type connector

Is it supposed to work for an USB keyboard ( one logitech K120, the other "Trust", 24096, strange it is make in China ;))

May be I can find a PS2 mouse, and try to stay on the first screen of POST (with different choices) and click on F2 (assuming the mouse will activate. ) I try to borrow a PS2 keyboard at the moment. I doubt flashing the bios (if possible) can be done without risks as the process is halted waiting for an input now. I may have an old PS2 USB adapter, that I can check if I find it.

I was saying that I can desolder and solder back a Bios chipset, I did that for TV repairs, but I understand this may be more delicate. Possibly I could reprogram the BIOS if out of the computer, but I never did that ;) I do not wish to turn a simple problem in an unrecovereable one ;) Thanks again

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021
I thought also of a possibility, use an existing keyboard, and solder connectors to be inserted in the PS2 plug . I guess a laptop keyboard will not do, but an old PC keyboard ? connection scheme may be available somewhere, and may be the interface have enough similitudes (?)

I also want to check my adaptors with wired mices , the plug is labeled keyboard and mouse , on the motherboard layout, but could the adaptator be only for a mouse ?

Those adaptors have only 4 connectors on the USB side, (so USB2) the layout seem to be identical for mouse and keyboard ( 1-5 -data - clock ; 3-4 ground and VCC 5V) I did read that 2V should be a maximum and that it may be advantageous to add a 10k resistor on both data & clock lines , may be the 3V I read are really too high ...)

Seem to be quite simple : https://www.instructables.com/USB-to-PS2-convertor/
Here a complete catalog of pineouts : https://pinouts.ru/

IN the end I suppose the keyboard port does not initialise, it is alimented +-5 v and even 3 V and 0.09 on the 2 middle usb contacts (or PS2 plug) , so I see no reason why the keyboard should not light up. Last test is mounting a wired mouse on the PS2 port and see if I can use it

Regards

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021
May be i felt in a loophole, first asking for BIOS default, then clearing CMOS may be before the process was finished (asking a keyboard entry to pursue ...? I doubt I did such thing before a fresch startup, not my mentality to make 2 changes at the same time)

In any case Asrock told me I should not have those USB/PS2 problems after CLRCMOS, that the board may have a defect and that I should send it back.

Any model for ALG1200 with better BIOS flash possibilities (2Bios chips, a Bios button for flashing...)
is Z590M a good choice (LGA1200 , always) it have 2 BIOS

Regards

Last edited: