[SOLVED] Stuck in boot loop and cant get to windows after "chkdsk" started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hi, my younger siblings pc recently turned into a loop machine and we cant it past the bios logo screen.

i7 3770k
1060 3GB
500w EVGA
250gb ssd
500gb hdd
Tosuny LGA 1155 Intel B75 Motherboard

So what happened was we were trying to move his windows 10 from the hdd to the ssd. I used the macrium reflect free software to do it, it was working fine
but around the midpoint it popped and error and failed. So I looked online for a solution and found that you can try to use the chkdsk command after the pc
restarts to check for errors. But it was taking a while, I read online that you could safely turn off the pc during the process so I did that and my sibling got to use his
pc for the rest of the day normally.

The next day the chkdsk process popped up as soon as he turned on the pc, so I shut off the pc again but this time when i booted it back up the American Megatrends logo
showed up and a line that said to click esc to enter bios. That screen quickly goes away after 2 seconds and the pc seems to boot up again or at least goes black for another 3 seconds
and then proceeds to show the American Megatrends screen again. Then goes black again. The only option I seem to have is either to go into bios or just leave it looping.

I've tried using different hdds that had windows installed to see if it would boot up with those but It only gave me a windows screen saying " RECOVERY Your Pc needs to be repaired"

If anyone can help out we'd appreciate it very much. I'm not the most knowledgeable at this sort of stuff.
Even if we have to do some sort of factory reset from bios I'm okay with that I just don't know how.:giggle:

Solution
found that you can try to use the chkdsk command after the pc
restarts to check for errors. But it was taking a while, I read online that you could safely turn off the pc during the process so I did that
wrong. never turn it off.

do a fresh os install on the new ssd

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hi, thanks for your reply. Ive tried using other hdds that i know have windows 10 on them and ive tried installing it on a 64gb and then plugging that into the
pc but nothing shows up when I boot up the pc, only the American megatrends logo then it goes black with only a small white line flashing on the top left. Like a text line (it doesn't change after that).

I have changed the boot order properly and I've also tried resetting the motherboard by disconnecting the battery and the little jumper but when i connected the jumper
to the other pins the pc doesnt turn on.

If you know what to do please let me know. The motherboard is only about a week or two old.

A windows 10 install from another computer will not work most of the time.
And if it does windows will do a repair install on that disk before booting.
As stated above you will need to do a fresh install of windows 10 on the SSD .
Make sure no other drives or SSDs are installed while doing this.
Otherwise the boot manager will get installed on the second or third drive.

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hi, I've removed any other drives, downloaded the windows 10 media creation tool to a usb from this site... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
But when I plug the usb drive with only 1 other hdd that is completely new and empty it just either sends me to bios or it sends me to a blank black screen with a flashing small line on the
top left. Like a text line that flashes when youre typing.

Is there something I'm missing or do I need to do something on the motherboard like a reset? I've made sure it is the main priority for booting. The usb drive is 64gb and the download is about 27gb
for windows 10. Any tips would help. Thanks

Fumarokuu

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Hi, guys. Got it working now and we're very happy. Little brother can play fortnite now.
So it was being stubborn before, I checked the format and it was FAT 32 but I went ahead and clicked format to FAT 32 anyways which erased the entire usb drive and
then I reinstalled the windows 10 installation tool back on overnight. In the morning I made sure the ssd was completely cleared as well and when I plugged the usb drive
the windows set up came up! The ssd had to be wiped and I believe I had to format the ssd as well because it previously had stuff in it. Without formatting it it wouldn't let me install
windows 10 on it.

From then on everything worked normally. Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.