[SOLVED] Stuck logging into Win10 Safe Mode via msconfig due to incorrect pw

Sep 3, 2019
I need help... I am beyond frustrated and am probably just missing a simple answer because of it.

Ok so a PC I'm working on has been having some issues (it BSODs at 3p and 10p daily for "no reason", and it now if you run Win Update that program just crashing itself immediately and doesn't run and now Nvidia Experience started giving an error). So I thought I'd start with the Nvidia Experience issue. Wanted to do a fresh install so I tried to boot into Safe Mode to fully remove all Nvidia software. Welp, Win10 disabled F8 and all other ways to get into Safe Mode and then I was like, "oh yeah you can tell Msconfig to do it" so I clicked the box under "Boot" for Safe boot and rebooted. Yay safe mode login. It wants a password. I tried the Windows Live pw. "incorrect pw". I log into windows live to check it on another PC and it works. I try a bunch of times. I try the PIN, I try every damn password I can think of that was every used. Nada.

Only now I can't get anywhere because idiot me told it to boot to Safe mode via MSconfig.

Even if I do a shift+restart and stuff and get to the menu and tell it to go into safemode it still wants the password. If I tell it to look for a restore point, it wants a password.

Is there ANYTHING I can do aside from wiping the entire harddrive?!

I am so frustrated. All this because Microsoft 1) can't sync it when you update a password and 2) keeps disabling <Mod Edit> for no reason (F8 for safe mode menu). I dunno... it's just frustrating.

I could use a bit of advice.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would do a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

I don't understand what you mean by, "Microsoft 1) can't sync it when you update a password," because they absolutely do if you are using a Microsoft Account linked Win10 User Account. There is no way to do it for a local account, as there's no cloud storage linked to same to do syncing.

Although I liked the function key method of booting into safe mode...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would do a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

I don't understand what you mean by, "Microsoft 1) can't sync it when you update a password," because they absolutely do if you are using a Microsoft Account linked Win10 User Account. There is no way to do it for a local account, as there's no cloud storage linked to same to do syncing.

Although I liked the function key method of booting into safe mode, that's been gone since Win8 on many machines, and is as much a function of the advent of UEFI instead of old-school BIOS. The easiest way I've found to boot into safe/recovery mode is the "triple power cycle" method, which I always remember for some reason. You start powering up the machine then do a power button hold down before it even gets to booting Windows. After doing this two times on the third power cycling Windows will automatically boot into the recovery menu, which includes safe mode.

Solution
Sep 3, 2019
@britechguy

What I mean is so when we installed Win10 on that PC it had X as a password in 2016 or whatever. Then, in 2017 or whenever it was, the password was changed to Y. It's been working as Y no problem. I can go to the website and it'll work now. But this Safe Mode login ONLY wants password X. It never updated to Y. In my searching, it seems like the same thing has happened to a bunch of people. Their fix was to not boot into safe mode, boot into windows normally, force a change to the password on the machine, then go into safemode.

I, because of my IDIOTIC choice to use MSConfig to boot into safemode, can't do this because nothing will bypass the password screen.

___

Now, if I do a Win install, won't I lose all my settings and documents and stuff? It has been ages since I've tried that. I never need to do that and I only do a fresh install when I do a... fresh install/format/clean setup.

I'm very concerned about doing anything that will possibly lose data. You know? Or is your suggested method just reinstalling the windows files themselves and ignoring all of my data/settings?

I just never had any success doing that in the past and its been a decade since I've tried, hence my apprehension.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
A completely clean install wipes everything. Thus, you need to back up all your user data from all accounts first. Also have gathered all software installers for the programs you need.

Based on what you've offered I would only recommend doing a completely clean install at this juncture.

Sep 3, 2019
A completely clean install wipes everything. Thus, you need to back up all your user data from all accounts first. Also have gathered all software installers for the programs you need.

Based on what you've offered I would only recommend doing a completely clean install at this juncture.

Ok so yeah I’m going to have to pass on that advice. One checkbox in msconfig forcing me to log into safemode cannot be irredeemable... I have no way to back up all that data because I can’t get to my desktop to backup that data

Maybe someone else has an idea that’ll let me get passed this issue. I appreciate the attempt but telling me to wipe it just isn’t going to work. There has to be a bypass

only way (legal one) to reset msconfig settings is to get pass login screen, usualy safe mode will do
i suppose u didnt make password recovery thumb drive when u installed windows,
so if u cant get past safe mode for any reason, then clean install is your only option

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Amen @USAFRet!!

I am the last person who goes directly to completely clean reinstall if I think that there is a less aggressive method to get back to a functioning system. The number of things wrong with the existing Windows 10 instance as described makes it a house of cards just waiting to collapse.

When that's the case, starting with a clean slate and solid foundation is the only advisable way to proceed.

Sep 3, 2019
Ok...

Yes, the plan is to do a complete format. That's great. I have to order a drive to back things up to.

BUT now, I can't access the data to back it up. I don't want to format before backing up. Can't back up til the new drive is delivered. Thought I'd do one little thing. Didn't realize it was going to lock me out like this.

Those other issues have ZERO to do with the current problem. Being judgemental because I didn't just instantly wipe a drive isn't very helpful or compassionate. * man, I came asking for some help. I need to get back into windows so I can back up the data so I CAN format the drive.

I guess expecting anything beyond superiority and condescendence from the internet, even from a "help us please forum" is too much these days.

Fine you win. I am shamed. I'm a * horrible person because I couldn't instantly backup and wipe a drive as you would have done.

USAFRet

Titan
No one is saying you should jump immediately into a full wipe and reinstall.
But all we out here see is a system that apparently has significant issues, that have been there for quite a while.
Not just in the last 10 minutes.

Any any investigation/troubleshooting/fixing a system should start with a backup of any critical data.
Very first step.

(actually, the backup concept starts long before a system starts to act up, but thats for a different conversation)

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You need to watch your language and your attitude!

I realize you're frustrated, but you're receiving the only advice any professional would give.

You will also need to borrow another machine if you want to get your data off what is now your system drive, as it will have to be connected as an external (or secondary internal, if you're using a desktop system) drive on a functioning system to extract that data. That's just the way it is. And it's not as though you have no role whatsoever in creating the fix you're in. Own that.

This will be my last offering on this topic, as I do not need this kind of abuse. No one does.

Sep 3, 2019
No one is saying you should jump immediately into a full wipe and reinstall.
But all we out here see is a system that apparently has significant issues, that have been there for quite a while.
Not just in the last 10 minutes.

Any any investigation/troubleshooting/fixing a system should start with a backup of any critical data.
Very first step.

(actually, the backup concept starts long before a system starts to act up, but thats for a different conversation)

And I get that. I really do. But it really has nothing to do with the entire situation which was, "oops I got stuck in a safe mode loop, is there any way to turn off the msconfig toggle without a format" and then I got taken to task and essentially told I was an idiot. It doesn't feel great. Its one of those "oh crap I need to take care of this but it seems ok so I can put it off for a short time til I can get a few things in order". Yes, I need to do it correctly I agree, but those issues and the issue I am having have nothing to do with one another. The problem is I clicked something I shouldn't have out of frustration and ignorance. Even if those errors didn't exist I'd be in the same boat.

So it just feels like kicking a guy when he's down.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Yes, I need to do it correctly I agree, but those issues and the issue I am having have nothing to do with one another. The problem is I clicked something I shouldn't have out of frustration and ignorance

What has happened here is anything but kicking someone when they're down.

And these things do have a lot to do with one another. A lot.

You have learned a hard lesson that many of us have learned in the same way at some time in the past. And for that, I'm truly sorry, as it feels awful.

But you've gotta do what you've gotta do now to dig out.

Let's back up a bit, if we can. Ibarberj, have you tried the "triple power cycle" method yet? Once you get that screen up, you should be able to boot into Windows normally.

There is a Windows Update troubleshooter accessible from the control panel. In you have the mini dump files, upload them somewhere and place link(s) here. I or someone who responds faster can take a look and see what the problem might be.