Question Stuck on MB Splash screen during boot for 30 secs to sometimes 2 full minutes!

Symbolite

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Just built a brand new PC for my father. Was starting up quick and fine when I got it initially set up but at some point along the way of installing drivers and programs he would be using something caused the PC to take a very long time to get past the MB splash screen. I did some investigative work (about 4 hours) and discovered that when the USB cable from the printer was disconnected the problem didn't exist. Note: Everything else about the computer seems great, nothing wrong. It's just that it takes obnoxiously long to start when the printer USB is plugged in. I've tried it in different USB ports as well. No change.

So I figured out what was causing the problem, I just don't understand why it's causing the problem and how might I get around to fixing this problem without just simply unplugging the printer when not in use lol. Is the problem with the printer? Or is there another issue? Any ideas?

The printer is a Brother MFC-J625DW.

The build is:
ASRock Z390 Pro4 Intel LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6 GHz
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD 4-bit QLC V-NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super Ventus XS Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Video Card
PowerSpec 650 Watt
Windows Home 64-bit

Symbolite

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Happens from cold start. Have not experienced it happening from a restart. And actually currently it's not happening every time. In the last 5 boot ups its done it twice... the other 3 times it was basically an instant start up (5-10 seconds) which confuses me even more about the problem.

This started happening when I had the usb printer cable plugged into the computer before I installed the drivers. My dad later installed the drivers himself, claimed the CD wouldn't work and it directed him to the website where he got the drivers. After this the problem continued. I can double check and make sure he installed the correct and latest drivers.

A solution I've been thinking of that doesn't exactly fix the problem but goes around it is to connect the computer to the printer wirelessly. Printer is wireless capable and is on the same network the wired computer is connected to. So that may be a solution but doesn't fix the problem, so realistically I'd like that to be last resort.

Can you update the printer's driver from Device Manager? If you can, Windows might find a driver that fixes your issue. You may also be able to rollback the driver to the previous one in Device Manager.

Another thing you might try is cycle the printer power (turn it off, wait for a few seconds, turn it on again, wait a few seconds) before doing a cold start to the PC. I know this isn't a solution but I think it's a viable workaround.

Symbolite

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Sorry been a couple of days.

No updates were available in device manager, said I had the latest.

Also not super familiar with everything in device manager but should a printer be showing up under "Disk Drives"? On my own personal computer usb cabled into a different printer mine definitely does not show up there lol.

it also shows up in..
"Imaging devices" its also a scanner so I guess that makes sense
"Ports (COM & LPT)" not sure what this is
"print queues" makes sense
"printers" makes sense

Edit: Just realized the printer has a usb slot and a sd card slot (currently nothing in them) and that's probably why its showing up as a disk drive in device manager if I had to guess and thus that's probably normal and not my problem.

Last edited:

Symbolite

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Additional update:

I've been fiddling around trying different things to fix it and still it doesn't happen everytime but I noticed whenever the mb splash screen does freeze it cuts all the wifi in my house to all wifi devices using it until it finishes booting? I'm so confused... My other wired in computer is fine during this time. This problem gets weirder and weirder lol.