[SOLVED] Stuck with bad(?) PSU due to pandemic

Jul 22, 2020
Hi, first time builder here and first time posting in this forum :)

(tl,dr at the end of the post)

So sometime in March i finally decided to go to buy all my pc parts and build it, the thing is i had a tight budget at the time and when i went to buy the PSU i noticed i hadn't enough for the one i had planned so i picked a Corsair VS650 650w (grey label), i've read a johnyguru review about this one and it was seemingly good, also i heard good things about Corsair and that a friend of mine had a similar PSU model working on his PC so i thought why not?

Turned out after doing some more research later that day that 85% of the reviews on other forums about this PSU were all bad (bad quality, low entry Corsair PSU series), and i couldn't go back to the shop the next days due to some problems at the time and then boom, quarantine came

I don't know if i was lucky whatsoever but after 4 months since then my PC is still running fine with this PSU, of course i haven't overclocked cpu and i'm a casual gamer but i'm still worried about how much "bad" everyone seems to call it (i want to note that i sometimes use Adobe Premiere Pro and rendering videos put a bit of load on the PC, i also play GTA V in high graphics and runs fine).

Now i DO plan to change it for another one but i can't really afford a new PSU at the moment, will i be good with this Corsair VS650 in the meantime or am i screwed up?

My specs:
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600
-MOBO Asus B450M-A Prime
-Nvidia GeForce Asus GTX 1650 Super TUF Gaming 4GB OC DDR6
-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2666mhz (x2)
-HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM
-SSD Crucial BX 500 240GB

Thanks in advance, i'd highly appreciate any opinions about this!

TL,DR: I'm stuck with Corsair VS650 650W (grey label) PSU for my mid range gaming PC due to pandemic lockdown, can't afford another PSU at the moment but i'll eventually change it, will i be good with this PSU in the meantime or am i screwed up? Thanks.

Solution

So sometime in March i finally decided to go to buy all my pc parts and build it, the thing is i had a tight budget at the time and when i went to buy the PSU i noticed i hadn't enough for the one i had planned so i picked a Corsair VS650 650w (grey label), i've read a johnyguru review about this one and it was seemingly good, also i heard good things about Corsair and that a friend of mine had a similar PSU model working on his PC so i thought why not?

Turned out after doing some more research later that day that 85% of the reviews on other forums about this PSU were all bad (bad quality, low entry Corsair PSU series), and i...

Turned out after doing some more research later that day that 85% of the reviews on other forums about this PSU were all bad (bad quality, low entry Corsair PSU series), and i couldn't go back to the shop the next days due to some problems at the time and then boom, quarantine came

I don't know if i was lucky whatsoever but after 4 months since then my PC is still running fine with this PSU, of course i haven't overclocked cpu and i'm a casual gamer but i'm still worried about how much "bad" everyone seems to call it (i want to note that i sometimes use Adobe Premiere Pro and rendering videos put a bit of load on the PC, i also play GTA V in high graphics and runs fine).

Now i DO plan to change it for another one but i can't really afford a new PSU at the moment, will i be good with this Corsair VS650 in the meantime or am i screwed up?

My specs:
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600
-MOBO Asus B450M-A Prime
-Nvidia GeForce Asus GTX 1650 Super TUF Gaming 4GB OC DDR6
-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2666mhz (x2)
-HDD Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM
-SSD Crucial BX 500 240GB

Thanks in advance, i'd highly appreciate any opinions about this!

TL,DR: I'm stuck with Corsair VS650 650W (grey label) PSU for my mid range gaming PC due to pandemic lockdown, can't afford another PSU at the moment but i'll eventually change it, will i be good with this PSU in the meantime or am i screwed up? Thanks.
While it is the bottom of the line for Corsair models, it's not that bad. There're far, far worse models around. Your system as configured is using half or less of the PSU's capacity so it's not working hard at all. You should be fine for now. It has built-in protections if it has problems and likely would just shutdown the system if something was wrong. I wouldn't worry, just enjoy your computer and upgrade when things get sorted out with our crazy world.

Solution