Students Reporting Problems With $29 Windows 7

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]jobz000[/nom]Are you sure it's worth wasting another minute of your time on such scum?[/citation]
I have a lot of time at work, since fixing PC's isn't all that difficult.

G

[citation][nom]fausto[/nom]Digital River is who is handling this from microsoft. they change extra for dvd copy, i ordered the backup disc.[/citation]
Digital River is Handling the win741.com website.

This offer that I posted is straight through microsoft store number. Completely different

AgentJTP9

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Worked fine for me. Downloaded overnight, did a clean install on to another partition, posting this comment from this new partition right now :) I got an email from Digital River regarding if this was a full version or upgrade, they stated that it was a full install, that it was only called Upgrade in the sense of upgrading from Vista to 7. Now the only dreadful part of all this is to reinstall all my files and games :(.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]What? Just released and already problems? Yummy boy, don't antagonize the poor wintarded m$ fankiddies with such disinformation. Such glitches happen just to the rotten fruit (for example the devastating guest account file deletion show stopper, so hotly debated here), not $even... At least the latest apple ad was utterly untrue, microsuxx didn't repeat any of the previous problems with vi$hta windblow$... or?[/citation]

stupid typical Apple/Linux fans! nothing real to say, just talk rubbish! "this is good and this is bad and i hate this and i hate that and you suck cause you dont like what i like etc........." !!!!

how old are you angry fanboy?!

in the REAL world, this "microsuxx" (!) you are talking about have OVER 93% of the OS market! so, at least for the time being, you can guess who really sucks here!! for sure, it's not Microsoft!

i will get a FREE win7 professional x64 on Monday(like thousands of IT students in my university), i got free windows xp professional, free windows vista business, free visual studio 2008 professional before, just because im an IT student. so i dont know that M$ you are talking about, and im sure, you yourself dont know what you are talking about!

poor silly angry boy! "$" suits Apple better! (just compare a customized sony vaio SR series with a 13" macbook pro! you can even reach 1000$ difference for the same specs!)

end !!!

G

I got this from this yesterday. Looks like we just got Windows 7 for free guys :)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking advantage of the Windows 7 Student Offer!
We appreciate you as a customer and want you to enjoy Windows 7.
We understand you may have experienced an issue with your
download immediately following the launch of Windows 7. Because
of this, we will be refunding the entire amount of your order.
You will see the refund on your credit card statement within 30
days. The software is yours to keep, along with the Backup DVD
and/or the Extended Download Service you may have opted to
purchase.

We are truly sorry for the delay in receiving your Windows 7
download; please let us know if you have additional questions
regarding the download.

To access your download, please log in to your order at the
Windows 7 Offer Online Store

You can login using the link you received in the email when you
originally registered, or through the means below:

Go to:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/DisplayHelpPage

In the "Quick Order Lookup" section, you can log in to your
order using either your order number and password, or your email
address and the last 5 digits of the credit card used to place
the order.

If you made a pre-order, your order number and password are
available on the email you received announcing the availability
of the download.

Enjoy Windows 7! We hope that Windows 7 simplifies the way you
use your PC-and the way your PC connects with the world.

Sincerely,
Customer Support Team - Windows 7 Online Store

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
It's common for an average user to find difficulties while installing an upgrade it's not an common task, regardless the fact that may be not even half of the users had read the instructions to do the installation.
On the other hand, it's not completely out of place that you need a 64bit OS running to do the 64 upgrade. It's just how must be done. Windows 7 has the most ridiculous(easy) installation I ever seen, it's even easier than Linux.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I currently use the latest release candidate (x64)(Not on that comp at the moment), and I am eligible for this. I have a few questions before I purchase it though:

1)Do I need to do a clean install?

2) If not, is this a cheaper alternative to just purchasing an activation code and making my RC a full version?

3) Finally, do I receive an activation code with this disc? If so, can I just use this for the RC to turn it into the full version?

Sorry if these questions seem like I'm a n00b, I just haven't been able to find any answers. Thanks.

-Dave

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I installed with no problems, using Windows 7 RC1 (64-bit) as a starting point. Gizmodo has a guide on how to make a bootable DVD with the files, but I didn't need that.

What is odd is I did not enter my key during installation, because it was in my email and I didn't have easy access to it. It isn't giving me any indication I need to activate, though.

G

Anyone having problems, please first download your upgrade files and then make a bootable install DVD with this simple guide and using ImgBurn.
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194
The only problems I was had during the download was when I unpacked the files and finished it would say it can't write the files to the disk, but I found it didn't matter, just follow the guide above and make a bootable install disk with this guide.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
pshh.. students and their virus ridden computers, bad networks and crc erros, of course the downloads are corrupted, this is clearly fault of all the avobe and not beeing the image iso the one corrupted, since its a few lot of student shaving the prob, but not EVERYONE

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]youwouldthink[/nom]can't they do a clean install with this[/citation]
If you request a clean install version, they'll give it to you.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]story is very vague. not much specifics.[/citation]

because the author is more concerned with bashing windows than providing any actual news....not only are the stories severely lacking in facts, but the tone is so degrading towards microsoft that you wonder how this clown got a job....

you can guess by the article titles which ones are written by him

cavsfan

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]because the author is more concerned with bashing windows than providing any actual news....not only are the stories severely lacking in facts, but the tone is so degrading towards microsoft that you wonder how this clown got a job....you can guess by the article titles which ones are written by him[/citation]

Totally agree, when I saw the article and started reading, I was hoping it would explain an issue area or maybe some facts, but instead stupid sarcasm is used to try and bash windows.

Nice job Marcus, yet again you show you can't write a mature article.

G

no problems with my upgrade from XP using the $29 student offer.

Narg

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Agreed to above, this article is obviously a bash article, no help at all. What's happend to Tom's? You used to get informative and helpful articles, not gossip here. Sad.

Romaniac

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Funny the way people criticize....it can always be applied back to them.

I suggest you re-read the article, while leaving your 'already set mind' behind.

In the real world....

The issue is this (as I understand it): MS specifically indicated that you CANNOT upgrade from a 32bit system to a 63bit system - meaning, you cannot use a Windows 7 64bit Upgrade version on a Vista 32bit machine! You must go from 32 to 32 or from 64 to 64. If you do wish to switch, a CLEAN/FULL install is necessary; not an upgrade.

So why were people with 32bit system downloading the Windows 7 64bit UPGRADE version?
Most likely, because they KNEW that an upgrade version can be 'fooled' into making it a CLEAN/FULL version. Or maybe they missed the memo that the switch from 32bit to 64bit cannot be done via an upgrade version.
Maybe in some cases, people assumed for an .iso and downloaded the files on a machine they did NOT intend on upgrading, but I have a feeling the other instances were a lot more common.

So when 32 bit users tried to unpack the 64 bit files, they were greeted with an error. User error? Appears to be so, at least in most cases.

The unpacking of 64 bit files onto a 32 bit machine may not have been tested, because people were 'supposed' to download the respective bit version on the computer that would be upgraded.

I think it's very nice of Digital River and MS to offer refunds for this offer, even though they listed that no refunds will be available for the student offer.

I hope THG can take notice of this....as much as I may or may not dislike MS, I had to point this out. For the most part, it seems to be user error to me.

There are PLENTY of things to fault MS for (paying beta testers for VISTA :p) but this case is most likely not one of them. If we're going to fault someone, let's at least do so when it is deserved.

Thank You!

cavsfan

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I wish part of the above statement would have been included in the article, as it actually addresses what the issue may be.

What you said here:

"Funny the way people criticize....it can always be applied back to them.

I suggest you re-read the article, while leaving your 'already set mind' behind."

Doesn't really apply, as at no point in my statement did I poke fun or sarcastically call out Marcus. Yet he openly does this in his article several times as well as almost all of his other write ups.

So before you stick up for him, why not look at what he's written and tell me when his "already set mind" is neutral towards what he writes about.

Thanks!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
To those who thinks 29$ OS for students is a marketing BS, let me say you these 2 facts:

1- Students are a segment of consumers with less money to spend. College and univesity cost a lot of money.

2- Students are a segment of computer users that have the best knowledge to pirate software, including Windows.

Profit made from a user that install Linux or that pirate Windows: 0$. Profit made from a user who decides to skip the hassle of pirating and buy Windows 7 off this special offer: 29$.

29$ is not much, but it's better than nothing, especially considering the development is done at this stage.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Maybe MS is hinting that you should be running an x64 OS by now. Frankly I'd have only released a 64-bit edition of 7 if I were Microsoft and completely done away with 32-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.