Study Names MacBook Pro 'Best Performing Windows Laptop'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christop

Distinguished
Most of us run Decrapifier on new laptops or whatever or just a fresh install to get rid of the bloat. The mac book pro is a nice machine but you pay a premium for that.

lilfob

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Throughout your whole analysis, it never occurred to you that you're comparing a clean vs custom installed windows? That itself already voids the studies. It only proves that clean installed performs better than manufacturers' installed windows.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
They have good design. That's why I would consider getting a MBP if I had tons of money. With laptops it's best to just buy one that's really good than one for upgrade-ability. They're really not that much different, but a good screen and a great look. Not very fair to judge a crap loaded OS vs a clean OS, but maybe these PC manufacturers will get the point. Anyone that cares enough about a clean OS will figure out how to make it a clean OS. But for the sheep that don't know how to figure out anything, Apple does make it pretty easy for them if you're willing to pay the premium.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
to be honest, if windows had one set of hardware to base it's software on, it would be even more stable. let's see mac os brigde hundreds, dare i say thousands of different hardware combinations, then run the test again!

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
It's not just the clean install. One click installs ALL your Windows drivers at the same time. After that updating is a breeze, never any hardware conflicts because hey, all Macs have the same hardware.
And I get a new Mac every year for about $100-250 max because used Macs sell for 3 to 5 times more than used PC's. So yeah initial cost may break your balls but if you're like me and see 4 year old Macs on eBay still selling for over a thousand then put 2 and 2 together and get a new computer every year for peanuts.

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Well all I see here is bashing of macbooks ;) I don't own a MacBook Pro, but I'm a proud owner of 13" late-2008 Macbook that has been updated only with new bigger and faster HDD and had Ram expanded from 2 to 4GB.
To the guy that gets from WOW 10 fps I can only say "Update your drivers" and you'll get more, cuz I get ~30fps (not while raiding though). I can even play Diablo III, Dragon Age Origins and some other not so new games (GeForce 9400M wasn't built for games). Coolers can be manually accelerated to max so temps don't go past 75C.
And as far as Windows performance goes, it's great I have good boot time (which can be improved further with SSD), I have good performance on day-to-day tasks and no problems with errors. And what's best is big trackpad compared to normal notebooks that works great (although on MACOSX it works even better).
And as far as Drivers go, I'm yet to have a problem. So I think that all who complain have a problem not with their MBP's or MB's, but with connection between Macbook and chair :)

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Kind of absurd the way that so many macho types are spouting off about doing "fresh installs" on every laptop that happens to cross their field of vision. Personally, I only own about three or so modern Windows licenses. If I were buying a new laptop today, I might try to salvage the install rather than buying yet another license -- keep in mind, most OEMs haven't distributed proper OS discs for well over a decade. The only option they give you, unless you're willing to buy yet another Windows license, is to restore the machine to its original settings (which, alas, include all the awful crapware).
Regardless of whether or not the comparison in this case is perfectly fair, I'm perfectly happy to see vendors who choose to install crapware get some bad press.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"And I get a new Mac every year for about $100-250 max because used Macs sell for 3 to 5 times more than used PC's. "
I guess there are so many dumb people out there who think a Mac is something valuable, that they are willing to pay more for are used Mac; so they usually sell for more even if used. The problem is that Macs are associated with technological retardation and I dont like being seen with them....

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Who does performance benchmarks on crapware filled installs anyway? For a proper benchmark, you've gotta install clean on all of them.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

Well, if you ever got out of the house you'd realize that the only people that are petty enough to associate intelligence with what computer they're using are people that never leave the house.........

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I actually kept some of the stuff that came with my ASUS Laptop. Just the controls for changing the volume/brightness using Fn keys. None of the heavier stuff.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
They did get to a reasonable conclusion, but I would like to see a test with all clean installations too. Just to compare what deference it makes with and without the crapware :)

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

This is done all the time, it's called Hackintosh, and it's a cluttered, unstable, bloody mess.

Which is why even if you have two clean installs, the Mac still comes out ahead in stability because it doesn't have all the hardware configurations to deal with.

If you want to Attack Apple go after performance and speed, they're still behind Windows for audio and gaming. But you have to remember that stability is their thing, because they know their customers aren't capable of dealing with problems

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Am I missing something? Don't Macs come with Mac OS? Oh wait,clean install of windows...bet ya the competitors were all entry level models [pentiums or celerons] and the Mac was maxed out,because I don't see the full spec XPS13 loosing.Case in point,the E series aren't even Core i5's.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Soluto was looking for the best performing Windows laptop and performed "frustration analytics" on popular makes of PCs to find the answer. The computers were then scored based on a combination of crashes, hangs, BSoDs, and boot and background processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.