Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2019
Hi All,

I was hoping for some advise..

I have been in IT for the past 6 -7 years and throughout all my experience I have been with a single company, who at times send me to work on mini projects to help another technical leads, ie deploying images mainly and then setting the equipment up on desks. I feel like I have been at the same level through out all my time with this company.

They have labelled me as second line support but comparing this with other companies I do not even do half of the second line support outlined in other job roles so sometimes I get stuck on what to do if I applied else where, would I apply for level 1 again? For example, second line should be able to administer LAN accounts but my current company do not allow me to create accounts, so I am stuck on gaining more experience.

Then I thought I should study for my MCSA, however..I am completely stumped with some of the terms and techniques used to administer server 2016 . I do not even qualify for the pre requisites before taking the exam.

How do I begin studying for the above?

My current cert is MCP Win 7 deployment.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks again.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you thought about install an eval version of Winserver 2016 on a rig of your own to use as a study guide/tool?

Have you talked to your boss(es) at work to explain your intent and to discuss the benefit to the company of your increased capability?

Reactions: Loftybread
Oct 4, 2019
Have you thought about install an eval version of Winserver 2016 on a rig of your own to use as a study guide/tool?

Have you talked to your boss(es) at work to explain your intent and to discuss the benefit to the company of your increased capability?

I have been playing around with installing server 2016 on a PC at work but its just gone as far as that before a certain manager comes up asking questions.. he is basically paranoid about me working on a clients server in case something will screw up. I have had my fair share of conversations with him but no luck.

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
I don't want to downgrade your expertise because I do not really know how much knowledge you have for IT, but I've always been told that beginners should start by doing CompTIA. Such as the A+ cert. But personally I never did the certification, just did some studying using Cybrary (great website and a lot are free).
If you feel that is not what you are looking for, maybe something easier from Microsoft? Like try basic IT support and move up to the server level.
But like what COLeek said, installing Winserver on a PC is one of the best ways to learn and study IMO
-Colin

USAFRet

Titan
I have been playing around with installing server 2016 on a PC at work but its just gone as far as that before a certain manager comes up asking questions.. he is basically paranoid about me working on a clients server in case something will screw up. I have had my fair share of conversations with him but no luck.
Your system at home, VirtualBox or Hyper-V, and Server 2016 in a VM.
You can even download a trial (180 days) of server 2016, already configured as a VM.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016

Insider program for Server 2019

Oct 4, 2019
Thank you all for your responses! will definitely look in to the above.

The staff have jut been notified that we are being TUPE'd across to a new business...another headache to deal with!

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.