Stupid question about PCI

G

Hi hardware wizards,

I know that this is a very simple and stupid question to some of you. I am wondering why I can not plug a PCI SBC (single board computer) in the PCI slot of another motherboard. Yeah, I know there a conflict, but why? Who cause the conflict? Is it an inherent design in the PCI to be only controlled by one CPU, or is the chip set used on motherboards which can not support additional CPUs in the same PCI bus?

I was looking for some kind of PCI slave processor board, but it seems to exist only for Compact PCI, not for the normal PCI. Can someone explain me why?

Thanks I appreciate your answers.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Evergreen Technologies makes such a product but a 700mhz Celeron is the highest level of performance. (At least I think its the highest). The PCI card comes with it own memory but I don't know if that memory can be upgraded.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey, those are pretty neat. I wonder what they'd do if ya slapped them into a faster computer...

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...But, why would you want to do that?
Don't know. For the nearly $500 (latest pricewatch pricing) that one would pay for the Accelera700 with 256mb of RAM, one could buy a motherboard, case, Athlon 1.4, and 512 megs of RAM with maybe enough money left over for a fair video card.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/28/01 04:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but then figure in PS new case (cuz you'd be upgrading to ATX from AT most likely) and you'd still be coming pretty close with a lot more performance and better chance to upgrade.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week