[SOLVED] Stutter issues on most games and some programs running slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 3, 2021
Hey

So basically, a couple of weeks ago I was gaming and having a great time until my PC was crashed on the spot by the game I was playing (LEGO Harry Potter yrs1-4) which resulted in my performance being off slightly in most games. I ended up resetting my system to try and fix the issue but then things just got worse. All of a sudden apps like Discord, Steam and Microsoft Edge (i don't use it but it was never this bad) are running very choppy and most games have significant stutter issues that weren't present before and now I'm not able to game without stopping every 5 mins to fix the gameplay in games like Chernobylite, Crusader Kings 3, Escape from Tarkov, Black Ops 2 and even Stardew Valley.

Things I have tried:

Manually set DRAM voltage
XMP on
Wipe all GPU drivers with DDU
Reinstall older Geforce drivers
Reinstall windows
Completely wiped my SSD partitions and reinstalled windows
Bought extra SSD just for windows
Installed monitor specific drivers
Installed mobo drivers
Change setting via nvidia inspector
Tried G-sync, v-sync (and nvidia reflex on tarkov)

Nothing is working and I'm really hoping my build isn't faulty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Specs:
Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG24VQ @ 144hz
MOBO: MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC 6GB
RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x 8gb) at 3200mhz
SSD for Windows: KINGSTON SA400S7120G (120gb)
SSD for Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: EVGA 600W

Solution
You should download and install LatencyMon which will show you what exactly is causing stutter on the software / driver side of things. If there is no high MS stutters from the software then I assume the GPU has a problem. It seems from your prior posts that the GPU is stuck at a low core clock which is also indicative of a GPU problem.
Sep 3, 2021
So what jumps out at me is this EA background/ desktop app. It is using the internet while you are playing along with using a bit of resources. Try disabling closing that completely so it is not running in the background while playing. See if this changes anything.
It's basically what EA is planning to replace Origin with. I only have it installed to use instead because I wanted to see if the performance with it was better, which unfortunately it isn't. Having it on or off makes no difference :(

Oct 1, 2021
Hey

So basically, a couple of weeks ago I was gaming and having a great time until my PC was crashed on the spot by the game I was playing (LEGO Harry Potter yrs1-4) which resulted in my performance being off slightly in most games. I ended up resetting my system to try and fix the issue but then things just got worse. All of a sudden apps like Discord, Steam and Microsoft Edge (i don't use it but it was never this bad) are running very choppy and most games have significant stutter issues that weren't present before and now I'm not able to game without stopping every 5 mins to fix the gameplay in games like Chernobylite, Crusader Kings 3, Escape from Tarkov, Black Ops 2 and even Stardew Valley.

Things I have tried:

Manually set DRAM voltage
XMP on
Wipe all GPU drivers with DDU
Reinstall older Geforce drivers
Reinstall windows
Completely wiped my SSD partitions and reinstalled windows
Bought extra SSD just for windows
Installed monitor specific drivers
Installed mobo drivers
Change setting via nvidia inspector
Tried G-sync, v-sync (and nvidia reflex on tarkov)

Nothing is working and I'm really hoping my build isn't faulty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Specs:
Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG24VQ @ 144hz
MOBO: MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC 6GB
RAM: Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x 8gb) at 3200mhz
SSD for Windows: KINGSTON SA400S7120G (120gb)
SSD for Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: EVGA 600W

Check for the viruses

My PC crashed because of the game I was playing. I'm assuming due to the age of the engine something conflicted and caused my system to shutdown and restart immediately. Power settings set to high performance. Running 16gb of DDR4 ram at 3200mhz (1.350v or auto both run the same)
Your PC will not crash because of an old program running. If your PC crashed without a BSOD and immediately restarted or otherwise that is not a good sign for the GPU....

You should download and install LatencyMon which will show you what exactly is causing stutter on the software / driver side of things. If there is no high MS stutters from the software then I assume the GPU has a problem. It seems from your prior posts that the GPU is stuck at a low core clock which is also indicative of a GPU problem.

Solution