Question "Stutter" with high FPS

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Hi fellow users!

Let's start with a little premise, I have started to play the infamous game Tarkov a couple of weeks ago and, since the beginning, noticed its poor graphic optimization.
Only a couple of days ago I said to myself <<edited>> it, let's try to make this thing work a little better" and I started to mess around with all possible settings, following many guides in the hope to find the one that works for me. Because yes, it's well known in the community that there isn't really a "best" setup, something that works for user A may not for user B even if their setup is basically the same.

Now, let's come to my "problem". If I had to describe it with my words I would say that "everything around me is dragging itself when I turn the camera". If my system was uber stressed and I had huge FPS drops I would understand that the current state of the game is very poorly optimized and move on but this is not the case.
I made a video that should make the problem obvious (around 1:00+ you should see it clearly):

Youtube drops the quality but you should still notice it: very high FPS with no drops, but when I turn the camera, especially with near objects, everything is "not ok". But only then! If I aim or run forward everything is fine.
The context of said video is:
  • No other apps opened in the background
  • System partition formatted a couple of days ago, basically nothing is installed except drivers and HW apps such as Afterburner
  • NVidia control panel set to default values
  • SO is Windows 11 but the problem was there even with 10
  • The game process is set to the highest priority with Process Lasso, doesn't really matter tho
  • Gsync compatibility is active and working
  • VSync is off
  • Windows "game mode" is on but makes no difference
  • In-game options showed at the beginning of the video
About my system:
  • NVidia 2060, 6GB Vram iirc
  • 16GB Ram DDR4, XMP1 or 2 makes no difference
  • Intel i5 9600K
  • With or without a little overclock to both CPU and GPU makes no difference
  • The monitor is the HP x24ih, factory setup except response time which is set to "fastest" but changing it has no effect. Freesync is enabled
  • The system and any other game is working fine
I can say that I have basically tried any possible combination of in-game and Nvidia settings and I can't fix this. I remember that during one of my tries I was able to remove the effect but the price was the presence of HUGE tearing, the one you got on old games when Vsync was off).

To complete the post here is a second video where I'm using the "recommended" Nvidia CP setup from a content creator:

The setup is the following:

2.png

At the end of the day, I don't feel like I'll be able to solve this thing but, just for the sake of my mind, I'll like to know what is the technicality behind it and that is why I'm posting on this generic forum (Tarkov's one was no use). Any opinion or question about something that I may have forgotten to mention is welcomed

PS: I used one of the most "problematic" map but the effect is there even in smaller ones where the FPS never goes down 140

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there,

Can you set up MSI OSD to show frame time (in graph form). When you turn it on, it should be steady line, with very little fluctuation. If on the other hand you little spikes where the frame time bounces up a little, but regularly, then this is possibly the culprit. These spikes cause the stuttering. If you try drop a res, does it make any effect?

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Hey there,

Can you set up MSI OSD to show frame time (in graph form). When you turn it on, it should be steady line, with very little fluctuation. If on the other hand you little spikes where the frame time bounces up a little, but regularly, then this is possibly the culprit. These spikes cause the stuttering. If you try drop a res, does it make any effect?
Here:

Regarding the second question: no, changing res makes no difference with and without adding resampling.

hmmm, that is kinda peculiar. You'd almost expect the panning glitches to correspond with the frametime spikes. But it doesn't. Looks pretty consistent.

Have you tested your ram? Any errors? If not just, check to be sure.

It might be worth checking for a bios update. Rule that out too.

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
hmmm, that is kinda peculiar. You'd almost expect the panning glitches to correspond with the frametime spikes. But it doesn't. Looks pretty consistent.

Have you tested your ram? Any errors? If not just, check to be sure.

It might be worth checking for a bios update. Rule that out too.
BIOS is updated, I'll check the ram but as I said the system is working fine, same for other games. Don't sweat it too much, Tarkov is known for having garbage optimization, at this point I was just curious about the possible culprit but have very little hope to fix it

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Then given this only effects 1 game, it's likely to do with the game engine itself. At this point I can only suggest to keep trying to trick around with settings. Some game engines are just poorly coded.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
No problem

For future references, I'll add that I tried to both use an HDMI cable with my current monitor and my old monitor, problem still there

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Ah, this is kind of embarrassing. I got at the bottom of it and the culprit is the mouse.

It's been a couple of months since I got my new MX M3 and never had a problem with it while coding. I said I didn't have problems with other games because I was using a controller.. Bluetooth connection, now I have to look into it

TRENDING THREADS