Apr 29, 2023
Hi All,

really need some help - i have basically changed every component on my pc and rebuilt so many times. but i am still getting this microstuttering in almost every single game. 116 fps then it drops and microstutters.

i cannot for the life of me fix it.

rtx4090
13900kf
maximus hero z790
corsair ddr5 6000
980 pro ssd

would really appreciate some help please

thanks all!

Apr 29, 2023
Did you format the hard drive/ssd and do a fresh windows install?
Thanks for replying!

The monitor is LG OLED c2 TV. Yes both drives were formatted before install and put a fresh copy on. It’s the latest bios version for that motherboard but had the issue on all the other motherboard as well.

I am using the first and second a lot for my SSD’s so it would be sharing with the GPU on the first a lot I assume. It’s a 4090 though so shocked this would cause an issue?…

The PSU is ASUS rog strix 1000W I tried a 1200PSU and same issue so returned it.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2023
That is a nice setup. What monitor are you using? What bios version is on board? What M2 slot are you using on the motherboard? If you are using the first slot try using the second slot. What psu are you using? Win 10 or 11?
Thanks for replying!

The monitor is LG OLED c2 TV. Yes both drives were formatted before install and put a fresh copy on. It’s the latest bios version for that motherboard but had the issue on all the other motherboard as well.

I am using the first and second a lot for my SSD’s so it would be sharing with the GPU on the first a lot I assume. It’s a 4090 though so shocked this would cause an issue?…

The PSU is ASUS rog strix 1000W I tried a 1200PSU and same issue so returned it.

Cheers

"Yes both drives were formatted before install and put a fresh copy on."
Windows 10 or 11?
Was this an install from USB? Using windows Media creation tool or a backup drive image?.
When installing windows it is important to have only one drive connected.
After windows install connect your other drives.

Apr 29, 2023
"Yes both drives were formatted before install and put a fresh copy on."
Windows 10 or 11?
Was this an install from USB? Using windows Media creation tool or a backup drive image?.
When installing windows it is important to have only one drive connected.
After windows install connect your other drives.
It was a usb one yes and only one drive in when it’s installed then I connected. It’s also windows 11 but tried 10 same issue!

Apr 29, 2023
Hey there,

What is the common denominator here? Have you swapped out GPU's or is the 4090 the same in each rebuild.

If it's under warranty, maybe RMA it.

Is ram running XMP? Have you tested it outside of Windows with Memtest86+?

After the bios update, did you clear CMOS? If not this could be a fix.
I have had a few 4090’s now and it’s exactly the same. The ram is XMP1 DDR5 6000.
I did clear the CMOS yea.

I have rebuilt the Pc from scratch with new parts so I am assuming it’s just the games? How often should a game have a microstutter?

Last edited:
Stuttering is usually because of the temporary lack of a critical resource.
Commonly cpu.
What is your cooling setup?
Possibly you have occasional events of thermal throttling.
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max individual core temperatures.
If you see 100c. in red it means you temporarily throttled.

Try setting your max cpu utilization down from 100% to 99% in windows power management.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Apr 29, 2023
Stuttering is usually because of the temporary lack of a critical resource.
Commonly cpu.
What is your cooling setup?
Possibly you have occasional events of thermal throttling.
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max individual core temperatures.
If you see 100c. in red it means you temporarily throttled.

Try setting your max cpu utilization down from 100% to 99% in windows power management.
I am using a 360rad AIO. During gaming I have never seen any thermal throttling and for example not all the games stutter as much as eachother but they all do now and again.

I have the impression I should have 0 stutter in games but not sure how accurate this is. They are not like huge stutters but it’s like a quick mirostutter but I am very sensitive to it now. I would say I get a stutter every mi

It appears you are running everything at max settings etc.....

The first one I could not see.

The second was noticeable.
Can be caused by running high frame rates and the video card sends frame 47 for this second and then sends number 50 because it just finished it and dumps all the other 2 in the output buffer. Fast moving object appear to move much faster and you perceive this as lag or microstutter.
At times this can be more frame variance depending on frame rate and monitor refresh rate.
lowering pre-rendered frames can help this.

Three is common with high draw distance settings.
Your jump revealed much more of the far off landscape/map.
If those assets, trees,grass shrubs/buildings/ water elements etc...... are not present in video card memory it must come from system memory. If it is not in system memory it must come from hard drive/SSD/NVME to system memory.then from system memory to video memory, then to your monitor.

Apr 29, 2023
It appears you are running everything at max settings etc.....

The first one I could not see.

The second was noticeable.
Can be caused by running high frame rates and the video card sends frame 47 for this second and then sends number 50 because it just finished it and dumps all the other 2 in the output buffer. Fast moving object appear to move much faster and you perceive this as lag or microstutter.
At times this can be more frame variance depending on frame rate and monitor refresh rate.
lowering pre-rendered frames can help this.

Three is common with high draw distance settings.
Your jump revealed much more of the far off landscape/map.
If those assets, trees,grass shrubs/buildings/ water elements etc...... are not present in video card memory it must come from system memory. If it is not in system memory it must come from hard drive/SSD/NVME to system memory.then from system memory to video memory, then to your monitor.
Thanks for the reply.

So what do you think? There is no issues with the rig then? Am I running things on to high settings?
Is there anything I can do to stop any of those stutters. I didn’t think AC odyssey would stutter with a 4090 it’s an old game.

When you say lowering ore rendered frames what do you mean? How do I do this? As there is no option for pre rendered frames in NCP other than Low latency mode which is now on ultra.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2023
There seems to be an issue with your cpu, I saw it go from 2% usage to 0. Could you post a pic or two of your advanced bios settings to include the cpu settings? Also if you are familiar with Gpuz HWMonitor could you post a pic of the cpu usage during gaming? (All threads)

Please see the links below.

Please note I had same issue with 13700 and 12700.

Thanks

Please see the links below.

Please note I had same issue with 13700 and 12700.

Thanks
Nothing looks out of step. Have you run cinebench to see where you are at with performance?

Apr 29, 2023
Nothing looks out of step. Have you run cinebench to see where you are at with performance?
Ye I have and it got a very high score. Nothing seemed wrong with that. I Jsut tried on a 240hz 1440p as well and same issue even at high frames. I’m starting to think it’s just the games now to be honest. I have rebuilt it with new parts 3 times and have changed every component on it. Nothing will fix it 🤣 the only common denominator is the games here but it just don’t know how often a game should stutter on a 4090 and 13900. I expected it to be never but maybe I’m wrong.

Cheers

nors3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2021
Hi All,

really need some help - i have basically changed every component on my pc and rebuilt so many times. but i am still getting this microstuttering in almost every single game. 116 fps then it drops and microstutters.

i cannot for the life of me fix it.

rtx4090
13900kf
maximus hero z790
corsair ddr5 6000
980 pro ssd

would really appreciate some help please

thanks all!

Hey man did you end up fixing your issue? I am having similar issues and I have the exact same build.