[SOLVED] Stuttering when loading into games?

gioguarino12

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
Hi! I've been having an issue with my pc for quite a while now, and it's an issue with game loading. No matter what game I play, the game never finishes loading at the loading screen. Fortnite for instance, I have a normal loading screen. Then, once I'm on the island with other players, I get a heavy stutter until all the textures load in. After that, I get another heavy stutter when I launch off of the bus as it loads the island. I could even get a stutter when firing a gun for the first time or breaking a wall. It isn't just limited to Fortnite, but it's my best example. I have an RTX 2080ti, Ryzen 5 3600x, and 32gb of ram clocked at 3000mhz. Is it an issue with my hard drive? It also happens on my SSD, but not quite as bad. It happens in a multitude of games, but please tell me if I should be testing with any game in particular; especially one small enough so I could easily move it between drives. Anyway, thank you!

Solution
Oops sorry.

Userbench looks fine.

Try test with two sticks of ram (same cas latency), just to rule out anything funny going on there. Noticed Userbench is saying modules of CL 15 & 16. If you try, use slots 2nd and 4th for two sticks.

Another idea might be to install the latest Chipset driver from Amd's website for your motherboard.

Maybe check Xbox DVR recording isn't enabled. If using any 3rd party AV or diagnostic programs, disable those. Possibly uncheck startup items in Task manager and try narrow anything that might be affecting performance via a background running app.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your drive setup exactly between Windows and games? I mean if using a HDD, what's it's RPM speed and where is Windows installed to?

If Windows is on the SSD, you haven't relocated pagefile by any chance? If HDD RPM speed is 5400, that's not going to perform very well.

gioguarino12

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
What's your drive setup exactly between Windows and games? I mean if using a HDD, what's it's RPM speed and where is Windows installed to?

If Windows is on the SSD, you haven't relocated pagefile by any chance? If HDD RPM speed is 5400, that's not going to perform very well.
My main windows installation is on my 1tb pcie ssd. Most of my games are on my D drive, which has 7200 rpm and a 256mb cache. Also, I don't think I relocated my page file. How do I check?

Edit: seems like it's set to auto:
Screenshot_20201107-023954.jpg

Also, here are some extra HDD specs from userbenchmark:
Screenshot_20201107-024400.jpg

Last edited:

gioguarino12

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
Hmm all that is fine and pf hasn't been touched. Was Windows a fresh reinstall on current hardware? Not a transfer from another system?

Can you run Userbench and link to results page please
Kind of. It was a fresh install, but my C: drive corrupted and I had to reinstall windows. Regardless, here's my benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35040266. My C drive is the Pcie SSD 1TB and the D drive is the Seagate Barracuda 2TB. The other 2 drives are a smaller extra ssd and my external drive.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oops sorry.

Userbench looks fine.

Try test with two sticks of ram (same cas latency), just to rule out anything funny going on there. Noticed Userbench is saying modules of CL 15 & 16. If you try, use slots 2nd and 4th for two sticks.

Another idea might be to install the latest Chipset driver from Amd's website for your motherboard.

Maybe check Xbox DVR recording isn't enabled. If using any 3rd party AV or diagnostic programs, disable those. Possibly uncheck startup items in Task manager and try narrow anything that might be affecting performance via a background running app.

Last edited:
Solution

gioguarino12

Reputable
Mar 24, 2018
Oops sorry.

Userbench looks fine.

I ran a bunch of tests. Yup, it was chipset drivers. Now I can load RDR2 off of my slow external drive and it runs just fine. Thanks!

EDIT: Also just an update on the ram, the reason why it reported so odd is because of another issue I was having I already fixed. I tried swapping some of the ram around to fix it, but the issue I had here was happening even before I filled all 4 ram slots.