Question Stutters and lag from nvlddmkm.sys, ntoskrnl.sys and dxgkrnl.sys

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Hi all,

Been dealing with this issue since I got my 3070 in may last year.

I’ll have random occasional stutters when opening things on desktop and insane stutters in some particular games. Battlefield V and Borderlands are heavily effected with stuttering every time something new loads in. Other games are stuttering too but some run smooth as butter.

Ryzen 5600x
Gigabyte OC Gaming 3070
Gigabyte x570 Auros Elite Wifi
Windows 10 21H1
G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 (Running DOCP 3600mhz 18-20-20-20)
MX500 512GB SSD
Samsung Evo 870 1TB
EVGA 700 GD 700W 80+ Gold Power supply

I have recently upgraded the motherboard and my latency has dropped significantly when just sitting on desktop (it’s 25-50us vs my original 500us) but still spikes to 500-1000 every 10 seconds or so. I’ve had a look in windows performance analyser and the DPC/ISRs are coming from the .sys drivers in the title.

I have replaced ram twice, cpu, tried another nvidia gpu (known to be good), new motherboard, reinstalled multiple versions of windows and it’s still there.

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
It's that PSU. You need to get that thing replaced ASAP.

A 3070 requires a strong, steady source of power and it's being properly delivered by the PSU you have. You need something like a Seasonic Prime or Corsair AXi/HXi.
Even when it’s using little to no resources on desktop? I do get some crazy coil whine too so that could be related to psu?

I can run red dead redemption 2 and division 2 on max graphics smooth and constant frame rates and it won’t stutter at all.

g-unit1111

Titan
Even when it’s using little to no resources on desktop? I do get some crazy coil whine too so that could be related to psu?

I can run red dead redemption 2 and division 2 on max graphics smooth and constant frame rates and it won’t stutter at all.

That's kind of tricky because on idle the GPU isn't really used. It's when you use the GPU to its' max extent that is when you start experiencing problems.

Coil whine is kind of hard to place too, that's usually related to the fans and it's generally hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
That's kind of tricky because on idle the GPU isn't really used. It's when you use the GPU to its' max extent that is when you start experiencing problems.

Coil whine is kind of hard to place too, that's usually related to the fans and it's generally hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.
So I should hold off on buying a psu?

g-unit1111

Titan
So I should hold off on buying a psu?

I'd say yes until you can pinpoint exactly where the coil whine is coming from. That could be attributed to your PSU, but then again there's a lot of other factors that the coil whine could be attributed to.

Usually 90% of the time coil whine is attributed to the PSU, but in very rare occasions it could be attributed to the GPU or to your case fans.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021
I got a new motherboard and setup better stable timings for my ram. Stutter is still present but been heavily reduced
Hi, could you share your ram settings? I have the exact same motherboard, cpu, and ram. I've been experiencing similar issues, except my games will crash with "nvlddmkm" in the event viewer logs.

NzSkux

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
It’s <Mod Edit> annoying isn’t it.. On my ASUS board I could overclock this ram way better, I don’t think my new settings will really work for you. You’d have to learn to do it yourself :)

Last edited by a moderator: