Question Stutters while gaming + getting lower fps on newer card than old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 4, 2020
I had a problem about a week ago and ended up replacing my 1060 3gb with a 1660 ASUS DUAL OC TUF and it isn't working as i thought it would, i suspect it may bottlenecking my gpu, i read that the ryzen 5 1600 reduces fps on average when using a 1660 by -20%
I have my 1600 ocd to 3.75 from 3.4 turbo and its working fine, but im getting worse peformance in most games that my old 1060 3gb, and in one game in particular i get less fps than my mate with a 980 and a 2.6ghz processor running on all the same settings, and whenever i turn i drop 40 fps down to 15 (got 55-80 on 1060) and it makes my favorite game unplayable, i also tried without overclocked and leaving it at 3.4 ghz, still nothing. The only other reason i can think of is my ram G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4 is too slow for the gpu, i read somewhere that you would experience insane stutters pairing a 1660 with 2200mhz ram and mines pretty close to that so i was wondering if anyone could help.
TUF GTX 1660 OC EDITION 6GB
Ryzen 5 1600 OC'D @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4
cooler master v550 psu
thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
it says my pc is peforming well under expectation and most are decent but the gpu says its way under average, sent the benchmark link above the image if u didnt see

Thanks i did miss it. The gpu is in the first slot isn't it?

Userbench isn't completely accurate, i like to use it to see what the cpu is doing in terms of turbo. Might want to run 3D mark firestrike basic edition on Steam (free) and compare scores for graphics with same cpu with similar clocks.

also when putting it on balanced it sleeps my pc after 30min and locks after 10min? dont really want that happening

In the additional features list where processor state options are can turn those settings off.

Jan 4, 2020
Thanks i did miss it. The gpu is in the first slot isn't it?

Userbench isn't completely accurate, i like to use it to see what the cpu is doing in terms of turbo. Might want to run 3D mark firestrike basic edition on Steam (free) and compare scores for graphics with same cpu with similar clocks.

In the additional features list where processor state options are can turn those settings off.
My cpu is automatically on turbo, base 3.2ghz turbo 3.4ghz cleared cmos before repair and it auto went to 3.4ghz, i overclock it on just a certain game usually to 3.75 cause its a 16 year old game and is 32bit and i have like 300 gb of addons and it generally doesn't run well as it has lots of data being used while running it, but at 3.4ghz ill run a test with firestrike

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cheers. Try balanced too, see how it goes. Could be just the game. Firestrike will tell i suppose.

Try disable full screen optimisation too, this is in the compatibility tab for the game's exe. Might mess with the way you use your volume controls but something to try.

Jan 4, 2020
eih1nVA.png
OHSmg15.jpg

https://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf
if you scroll down to page 4 the layout is there, not too sure if its in the first slot

Jan 4, 2020
Cheers. Try balanced too, see how it goes. Could be just the game. Firestrike will tell i suppose.

Try disable full screen optimisation too, this is in the compatibility tab for the game's exe. Might mess with the way you use your volume controls but something to try.
I mean ill try balanced but every single optimization video for rust and in general specifically states to keep it off as running in windowed/border has horrible input lag

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu is in the correct slot.

I mean ill try balanced but every single optimization video for rust and in general specifically states to keep it off as running in windowed/border has horrible input lag

Not quite understood that. To keep balanced off or fullscreen optimisation off? Balance plan just utilises the cpu differently, was hoping to see improvements.

Full screen optimisations is a blend between full and borderless window. There's a check box in compatibility to turn this off.

Jan 4, 2020
The gpu is in the correct slot.

Not quite understood that. To keep balanced off or fullscreen optimisation off? Balance plan just utilises the cpu differently, was hoping to see improvements.

Full screen optimisations is a blend between full and borderless window. There's a check box in compatibility to turn this off.
Fullscreen, but most say power plan on pref max perf, but im trying balanced with the 10%

GPU 45-60 CPU 40-55 fan at the back of the case above gpu and then the cpu has a fan ontop of it and then dual gpu fans
What are you using to monitor temps? I find it hard to believe such low temps with a single case fan. High temps will cause thermal throttling and reduce performance and cause stuttering. What are your temps while actively running a game? Not in the menu and not at the desktop.

Jan 4, 2020
What are you using to monitor temps? I find it hard to believe such low temps with a single case fan. High temps will cause thermal throttling and reduce performance and cause stuttering. What are your temps while actively running a game.
I just find it hard to believe i get a new gpu that has double the vram + 400 core clock of my old gpu and get half the fps with stutters every 2 seconds down to 25 fps, used to get 70-95 now 25-48 while my mate runs a 2.8 ghz cpu and 16gb ram with a GTX 980 4gb and gets 75-95 stable ;/ i dont see a reason why im getting stutters and worse fps on a better card

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I just find it hard to believe i get a new gpu that has double the vram + 400 core clock of my old gpu and get half the fps with stutters every 2 seconds down to 25 fps, used to get 70-95 now 25-48 while my mate runs a 2.8 ghz cpu and 16gb ram with a GTX 980 4gb and gets 75-95 stable ;/ i dont see a reason why im getting stutters and worse fps on a better card

Yeah. We're working through it. Eventually this will come down to trying the 1660 in your friends pc and 980 in yours.

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah uh well unfortunately my mate moved to the gold coast last year so i can no longer do that lol, ill run firestrike now. Im also using CPUQuick
Wont be able to do the benchmark as you need to pay 42$ for 3D Mark first and dont wanna dish that much out on a benchmarking software, any other benchmark you want me to do?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah uh well unfortunately my mate moved to the gold coast last year so i can no longer do that lol, ill run firestrike now. Im also using CPUQuick

I'm not familiar with CPUQuick but am aware of unparking cores. Shouldn't need to be doing that. Have you always had that running or just trying it now?

How did Windows balance go?

I'm starting to wonder if the gpu may be faulty. Reinstalling Windows might be on the cards if the gpu isn't faulty, if the PC store tests it and comes back fine.

Wont be able to do the benchmark as you need to pay 42$ for 3D Mark first and dont wanna dish that much out on a benchmarking software, any other benchmark you want me to do?

Yeah na, don't spend money. Steam has it for free, i just had a look, it's called 3DMark Fire Strike benchmarks.

Jan 4, 2020
I'm not familiar with CPUQuick but am aware of unparking cores. Shouldn't need to be doing that. Have you always had that running or just trying it now?

How did Windows balance go?

I'm starting to wonder if the gpu may be faulty. Reinstalling Windows might be on the cards if the gpu isn't faulty, if the PC store tests it and comes back fine.

Yeah na, don't spend money. Steam has it for free, i just had a look, it's called 3DMark Fire Strike benchmarks.
Windows balance didnt really make a difference, just downloaded cpuquick and instantly went 45>55 fps without as much stuttering but still drops to 35 etc which wouldn't happen with the 1060 and its not so much small stutters now except for big maneuvers while rotating the camera ingame, but just alot of fps drops for a few seconds which isn't very fun to play on, Do you think the gpu could be faulty? it still functions and works pretty good on some other games only getting about 5-10 fps less but thats mainly on cpu intensive games, my dads been buying from these guys for 20 years and hasn't had any problems before, also with the 3dmark fire strike you cant press download, it wil ldirect you to download the base 3DMark application which is 42$

Jan 4, 2020
Oh you're right. Sorry, pretty sure they used to give it out for free.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark They say it's for free but if need base for it to work, (tricksters) stuff that.

Techspot has it.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5775-3dmark.html

Windows would be on C. C is by default.

Bios shouldn't be the issue but you never know.
ill download if it needed but just gone over to nbn so only got 40 download instead of 100 and will take 30mins, any other alternatives, if not ill just use 3dmark but trying to get this fixed before late

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Userbench is saying your gpu isn't performing as it should. Somehow i do believe it and Firestrike results and it's detailed analysis of your system specs and frequencies would give an indication if true.

Might need to take the PC back to the store to get it checked and make sure not something else is going on.

I'm off ill check back tomorrow morning. Night.