Question Stutters while gaming + getting lower fps on newer card than old

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 4, 2020
I had a problem about a week ago and ended up replacing my 1060 3gb with a 1660 ASUS DUAL OC TUF and it isn't working as i thought it would, i suspect it may bottlenecking my gpu, i read that the ryzen 5 1600 reduces fps on average when using a 1660 by -20%
I have my 1600 ocd to 3.75 from 3.4 turbo and its working fine, but im getting worse peformance in most games that my old 1060 3gb, and in one game in particular i get less fps than my mate with a 980 and a 2.6ghz processor running on all the same settings, and whenever i turn i drop 40 fps down to 15 (got 55-80 on 1060) and it makes my favorite game unplayable, i also tried without overclocked and leaving it at 3.4 ghz, still nothing. The only other reason i can think of is my ram G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4 is too slow for the gpu, i read somewhere that you would experience insane stutters pairing a 1660 with 2200mhz ram and mines pretty close to that so i was wondering if anyone could help.
TUF GTX 1660 OC EDITION 6GB
Ryzen 5 1600 OC'D @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL15 DDR4
cooler master v550 psu
thermaltake n27 versa snow edition mid tower case

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
Userbench is saying your gpu isn't performing as it should. Somehow i do believe it and Firestrike results and it's detailed analysis of your system specs and frequencies would give an indication if true.

Might need to take the PC back to the store to get it checked and make sure not something else is going on.

I'm off ill check back tomorrow morning. Night.
Alright, thanks for all your help.

Jan 4, 2020
Userbench is saying your gpu isn't performing as it should. Somehow i do believe it and Firestrike results and it's detailed analysis of your system specs and frequencies would give an indication if true.

Might need to take the PC back to the store to get it checked and make sure not something else is going on.

I'm off ill check back tomorrow morning. Night.
I also made a short 40 second video comparing today with the 1660 vs a month ago with the 1060, the first clip of daylight is 1660 and the one thats taken at night is the 1060
View: https://youtu.be/mHnZFcQhNsI
FPS Is recorded in the bottom left
Did the firestrike DX11 Benchmark

uIvBnQt.png

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
Big difference between day and night huh.

Comparing 3D mark, it's not far off from a guy with an overclocked 1600 and some memory overclock on the 1660

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21149555

Do other games run fine? Improvements?

Try the same Nvidia driver you had for the 1060?
nah, in rust there isnt much of a difference between day and night, the night clip is 1060 and day is 1660. I seemed to have somehow fixed it by disabling SMT in my bios, and tried disabling 2/6 of the cores but it was 100% load on the cpu and i reverted it back, im getting temps while playing in the 78-83 range on my gpu which isn't good though. I have most settings high to use alot of cpu, as rust is cpu intensive, and ive already put a few things up on r/playrust but they all just recommend new parts and <Mod Edit>,
-nolog -high -maxMem=16384 -malloc=system -cpuCount=6 -exThreads=6 -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -gc.buffer 4096 -hitnotify.notification_level
is the launch code i use for rust, and i dont stutter anymore, but the fps is like 55-70 which is ridiculous as my friend has a 980 and hits constant 70-90
i just went into bios and enabled xmp and it says memory boost 32.00 but in task manager it says its at 3200mhz but im not sure if thats just the base clock or live speed. I'm not too sure which drivers i was on for 1060 but i will have the download saved somewhere in my downloads, is it worth trying? my mate also suggests my cpu may possibly be faulty but im not sure. Ive only tried 1 other game so far and it was stuttering a little bit more than usual. It is a very cpu intensive game (16 yrs old n only 32bit)

qcJIlBF.png

B2s6OLd.png

6zHh0tQ.png

This is my usage while playing rust

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Temps are ok. Would be better if you had intake fans.

Looks like ram is running at 3200. Check with Cpuz memory tab, it should say 1600.

Try a different Nvidia driver, GeForce/drivers has a list of older drivers.

If there are chipset driver updates available for your board try that too.

TRENDING THREADS