[SOLVED] Substantially decrease your Windows 10 boot time speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Go to Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power buttons do, Change plan settings that are currently unavailable and enable Turn on fast startup (recommended) if it is disabled.

It dropped my boot time from 55 seconds to 25 on my M.2 NVMe SSD.

Solution
And fast startup can make troubleshooting a pain later on.

25 seconds on your NVMe drive? That's not great.
My SATA III SSD system boots up in about 30 seconds, without fast startup on.

Lastly, 'boot time' is the least metric to worry about. 20 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec....no big deal, unless you're looking for bragging rights.
Still haven't figured it out... The RAM has been configured in the BIOS to 3000 MHz.

Question... I do have a number of devices connected to the SATA ports...

This is how it appears in Disk Management:
Disk 0: WD 6TB drive
Disk 1: Samsung QVO 2 TB SATA SSD
Disk 2: WD 6 TB drive
Disk 3: WD 6 TB drive
Disk 4: Toshiba 5 TB drive
Disk 5: Samsung one TB NVMe SSD
Disk 6: LG Blu-Ray drive

Disk 0, 2 & 3 (the three WD Drives) are spanned as one 18TB Drive
Disk 5 is the boot C: Drive

The Samsung NVMe boot drive was installed by itself first and for some reason, it always shows up as the last drive in disk management as I kept adding drives to the system. Another odd bit. The Samsung appears in disk management as 530 MB Healthy (OEM Partition), 100 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) and as Drive C: 930GB NTFS (healthy, boot and page file)

Would the drive order or the number of drives have an affect on boot times?
You will want your boot drive at the top. Try that.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I finally decided to try and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my system... Right now, it takes 75 seconds to boot from power on to reach the log-in screen... This is with a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD. I created a system image on a secondary drive and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch.

After installation, Windows 10 still takes 60+ seconds to boot. My wife's laptop takes 20 seconds to boot from power on to log-in. My grandson's computer takes 25 seconds to boot. Both of them have Fast Boot disabled.

I am at a loss here. Anyway, I tried to restore my system image and got a corrupted image file response so right now i am stuck reinstalling everything from scratch. The only thing I can think of is that I have a large number of SATA devices in my system. I have a LG optical drive, three WD 6TB HDD, a Samsung QVO 2TB SSD and a Toshiba 5TB HDD. Does having all these SATA devices slow down the boot process?

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Finally figured it out... The problem is caused by the additional SATA devices. If you go to Device Manager, Disk Drives and select the properties of the drive and disable "Enable write caching on this device" mode for each mechanical drive, the boot times is shortened considerably. The PC boot time has now dropped to 35 seconds. This is with fast boot disabled.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Disabling Write Cache mode on the SSDs did not make any difference on the boot times. So I only disabled it on the mechanical hard drives...

After some testing. it appears disabling the write cache takes a huge performance hit when writing to the hard drive. The write times are doubled with the cache disabled...

So i will have to endure the slow boot times in order not to affect the write times on the hard drives...

Last edited: