Question Sudden crash and no response from PC

Aug 24, 2023
Intel Core i5 11400F @ 2.60 GHz (
RAM: 4x8GB, 3600 MHz (Running at 2400 MHz) (Kingston Fury HyperX RAM)
MoBo: TUF Gaming B560M Aorus Plus Wifi
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC 8GB

Hello. I am experiencing a pretty annoying issue that I can’t seem to find the root of. It goes like this:
- I boot up my PC, everything works smooth and normal.
- I launch Forza Horizon 5, play it for 10-15 minutes and boom… power to PC gets completely cut off. No BSOD, nothing. Nothing happens when I press the power-on button. The only way to get it on again is for me to open the case, detach the ATX power cable to the MoBo, let it sit for a minute and put it back in.
Then the QLed for the DRAM shows yellow, PC shuts off again and boots back up and puts me on a screen saying something about that I have to press F1 to enter BIOS.

I do all this, exit bios and then PC restarts 2 times and the yelloe QLED disappears and it works fine again. I then assumed that my RAM might have been faulty so I ran some individual tests on each module (mem86) with 1 error on one module on Test #5. Every other module showed 0 errors and when I went back to test the first module in Test #5 again, it showed also 0 errors.

I tried moving an USB device to another slot upfront instead, didnt work.
I did a clean OS install and didnt work either.

Now I’m left with the possibility of my GPU going bad? I could really use som guidance right now since I also just got it back from RMA with replaced CPU and MoBo.

Let me know if I forgot to mention anything or if you need some logs - I’m not sure if there are any crash logs since it just disconnected the power basically.

EDIT: Just discovered that I can actually get it back on by pressing the power button to the PSU and letting it sit for 2-5 minutes. Still the same process afterwards; takes 10-20 seconds longer to boot up, puts me on the “F1” screen and so on. :/

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

And do look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Any given entry can be clicked for more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Aug 24, 2023
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

And do look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the crashes.

Any given entry can be clicked for more details. The details may or may not be helpful.
It’s a Gigabyte GP-P850GM Rev.2. I bought the PC built in 2021. PC has been used for gaming - wouldn’t call it hardcore or anything. I’ve made sure to clean it from dust every few months.

I can’t really see any events that should be leading up to the crash since the previous events before every crash are different. I am just getting a “[Kernel-Power (ID 41)] Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

I noticed that when it reboots into BIOS after a crash the dram frequency has been set to 2133MHz instead of 2400MHz which it is running at default. When I exit and boot back into BIOS it’s at 2400MHz - I don’t know if it means anything?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU is a potential culprit.

However, the starting point is to ensure that the current RAM and RAM configuration are supported.

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...9912_TUF_GAMING_B560M-PLUS_WIFI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Physically numbered Pages vi and 1-9 (Section 1.4) provide information regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations. Double check BIOS as well

Also go to the Asus website for any updated information.

= = = =

Any known reasons for the default value of 2400 MHz?

Change the default to 2133 MHz without immediately changing anything else.

Determine if the crashing stops.

Also FYI:

https://www.minitool.com/news/dram-frequency.html

Look for similar links for more explanation and details.