Question Sudden extremely low performance when running softwares

Mar 12, 2024
This is on an MSI Katana 15 B12V laptop with a 12th gen i7, 4070, 32gb ram @ 4800 Mhz, bought just 3 months ago
Problem started yesterday, any software that I have is running extremely slow (discord, spotify, games, unity)
War thunder runs at an amazing 1 frame with models taking 7 minutes to load

Looking at task manager at the time, with spotify and Tarkov running, CPU usage was below 10% and GPU usage at 1 to even 0%
all of these softwares were running extremely slow performance wise (slow mouse movement, slow loading times
Resource monitor stated that CPU's max frequency was at 100%, but usage was still in the single digits

I have tried to:
- Checking Device Manager, which at the time stated all my processors had the hazard symbol, with error code 32, followed microsoft's advice to uninstall the drivers through Device Manager
- Reinstall CPU and GPU drivers
- Modify in Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm\Start and set value from 3 -> 4
- Updated to latest version of Windows 11
- Reinstalled Windows 11 through Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC
- sfc /scannow on Command Prompt
- In the Nvidia Control Panel, set preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor

What else could I possibly do now?

Mar 12, 2024
malware scan the system?
check cpu temp?
how full is the ssd?

Windows Defender says "IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available" trying to fix it at the moment

Afterburner says that it is running @ 210 MHz, memory @ 405MHz jumps to 8000MHz occasionally, Voltage at 0mV, temperature at 48c

I have 2 M.2s, C drive (OS) @ 463 free out of 931GB, D drive @ 170 free out of 1.86TB

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
It sounds like the games are trying to run off of the iGPU on the CPU?
I've had that happen when my gaming laptop decided it was unplugged when it wasn't.

Restart windows
Unplug the AC adapter at the AC socket and plug it back in after it discharges (wait 1~5mins)
Set power plan to a different setting

If that doesn't fix it, try...
Run HWiNFO64 with sensors only
Run a memory test, like prime95 with memory intensive selected.
If you have a power meter, check to see how much power it is drawing.
If not, check hwinfo for various power usage and CPU/GPU load statistics
If it's not giving memory errors, try running a GPU benchmark.
Check to see if it's running on the dGPU, rather than iGPU.

Mar 12, 2024
This is giving me hardware fault vibes. At 3 months old, I’d RMA it.
Man heres the big issue, I got this laptop when I was in Hong Kong (for context im in the UK for my university) so I'm not quite sure whether it covers where I am now, though I can get the details soon and see if thats possible

TRENDING THREADS