jacobgrantphd

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Hello all, I recently did a few upgrades on my system, and all was good. However, out of nowhere, I got a 0xc000000e error while automatically attempting to boot from my 500 gb m.2, and I was forced to boot from my back-up SSD. I check device manager and make sure it is still being detected, and sure enough it was there, with the most up-to-date drivers and all, but moving into disk management showed 'disk 3' as "unknown" and "not initialized". Windows is unable to detect the amount of free/total space on the drive, and it is unable to be initialized, with the error "The parameter is incorrect". A similar story is found using the command prompt and 'list disk' with disk 3 showing up as 0 and 0 for total and free space. I am also unable to run 'clean all' or 'repair'. When installing windows to this drive it is possible that some of the boot partitions were bugged, but that wouldn't cause such a catastrophic failure, right?

----specs----

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: 2x16 GB Trident royal
Storage: PNY cs3030 m.2 , Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM , 1 tb ssd, 120 gb ssd
Video Card: ZOTAC 3070
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified

jacobgrantphd

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
Have you ever being able to boot and run sucessfully from your pny drive ?

Have you tried to reseat it ?
yes, I booted from it for 2-3 weeks, then it started requiring my 120 gb drive to boot and it would swap over to the pny to run windows. I just reseated it and tried both slots on my x470 but I believe the second slot competes with some of the sata inputs. In the bios it doesn't recognize either even if windows can tell /something/ is there.

jacobgrantphd

Honorable
Aug 14, 2015
How does the system respond if you disconnect all storage devices exept the PNY? Does the bios detect it then? If yes - try to install windows first, and then you can re-connecct the other storage devices.
it seems to recognize /something/. when booting into the BIOS, it still doesn't detect it, but windows' boot from USB shows a "drive 0" with 0 gb free and 0 used, and is unable to do anything from there..