[SOLVED] Sudden low Gpu usage while gaming (Lag spikes

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
Hi, recently i upgraded my cpu from a fx 4300 to fx 8350.
When i launched some games ( Gta V/ Far cry New dawn) i noticed my game started getting lag spikes about every 20 second for 5-8 seconds long. So i monitored my cpu and gpu usage and i noticed that every time i had a lag spike my gpu usage went down to 30%. i have read a lot of forums from people with similar problems and i have tried multiple solutions like:

Checking if all the cpu/gpu power cables where connected properly.

If my gpu was overheating, it did get a little hot sometimes so i upped the fan speed in msi afterburner (didn't fix the problem).

Gpu drivers are up to date.

Checked for malware a few days ago <-- probably should check again.

Lowered game settings, no improvement.

My specs are:
Cpu: Amd fx 8350.

Gpu: gtx 970 4gb Twin frozr

Psu: 750 watt

Ram: 8Gb DDR3

Hdd drives

Mb: Asrock 970 pro3

Tower cooler master hyper cpu cooler.

The gpu and cpu are not overclocked.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Well the problems wasn't solved after all but for anyone else with this problem: i replaced the gpu thermal compound and turned a fan aroud so i blows at the vrms and that fixed it for me.

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
Motherboard is a 4+1 phase board.
VRMs setup with a power thirsty CPU like the 8350 not ideal.
VRM throttling certainly a possibility.

A dedicated VRM fan might help, as long If you can get a lot of airflow through the case .

Should i mount a fan on the top of the case above the mb? And if yes should it blow towards the mb?

Hot air rises, so pushing hot air back down often counterproductive.
Your complete cooling fans setup wasn't specified. The more airflow the better.

Bundle cables and secure out of the way of course to reduce turbulence and help airflow paths.

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
Hot air rises, so pushing hot air back down often counterproductive.
Your complete cooling fans setup wasn't specified. The more airflow the better.

Bundle cables and secure out of the way of course to reduce turbulence and help airflow paths.

I installed more fans pushing the air out of the top of the case but it barely helped, maybe i could try resetting my entire pc and reinstall windows.

A fan directly on the VRM's would help, but you are still limited to 4+1. on the power phases.

A clean install wouldnt hurt, but shouldn't you have done that already with new hardware?

For airflow testing, you could always take the side of the case off and use a large box-fan to get an enormous amount of airflow. Dusty though.

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
A fan directly on the VRM's would help, but you are still limited to 4+1. on the power phases.

A clean install wouldnt hurt, but shouldn't you have done that already with new hardware?

For airflow testing, you could always take the side of the case off and use a large box-fan to get an enormous amount of airflow. Dusty though.

I have just finished a reset and reinstalled windows. I am now installing some games to check for improvement and ill try using a box fan to see if that helps.

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
I started up fc new dawn again and i don't get the 5-8 second lag spikes anymore but i do keep getting these little freezes while playing, i haven't checked yet if the gpu usage is dropping though i also have a fan blowing at the vrms now.

moddedlel

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
Well the problems wasn't solved after all but for anyone else with this problem: i replaced the gpu thermal compound and turned a fan aroud so i blows at the vrms and that fixed it for me.

Solution