Sudden PC crash (mainly while gaming)

Oct 21, 2018
I don't really know where to start from...
I'm here because the crashes are really frustrating me.

My PC was bought in 2011. A very basic desktop sold by Walmart.
But this year I've upgraded a few things.
Bought a new GPU, couple of new RAMs, a new PSU, new HDDs and a new SSD.
Took me a while to study and search about those things because I didn't want to mess up and waste money. But apparently I messed up anyways.
The purpose was to play on the computer I already had, instead of buying a new Console.

Ever since those upgrades have been installed (and it was all at once) my computer crashes. It used to crash even when I was doing something on Office and the only thing open was Word and a Browser.

The crash consists in: the screen goes some random color (usually the color Windows is using) and the sound gets messed up. Becomes irresponsive. I don't know if it's still working behind that screen or what... I shut it down holding the computer cabinet power button until it shuts off. Then I turn it on again and it starts as if nothing ever happened.

The OS is always updated, clean, I mean... I think it's related to hardware. I use "chkdsk /f", I defragment my drives, I use DiskCleanup, I keep my drivers updated from official sources...

Lately it has only crashed while I was playing Battlefield 4. That's the only game I play. I put the Video/ Graphics settings to low and it takes a little longer to crash. Maybe an hour. If I play on Medium or if I dare to play on High it takes about 20 minutes.

If someone is reading this, is there anyway I can help you to help me?

I don't see a button for me to upload an image, so I am going to paste links to them.
https://imgur.com/a/EjCkzLm

Oct 21, 2018
@jay.wooster Okay!!
I don´t know much about it... I took pics of it to post here. Can you tell me if it is good enough for my use?

*Fun fact: my pc crashed while I was posting this. I was playing BF4 and I saw your reply notification on my phone. Minimized the game and opened Firefox. Big mistake.

pics: https://imgur.com/a/EjCkzLm

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Its 500 Watts which should be enough. Do you keep your PC in a dust storm ? :) There is ALOT of dust by the looks of that picture (unless its somehow distorted), the first thing i would do is clean out the PC with an air duster. Typically freezes and crashes are as a result of thermals getting too high or power problems and dust like that is likely responsible for crazy high thermals. To test this you can download a program called "HWInfo64" (its free) and let it run in the background while you play a couple of minutes of BF4, ALT+TAB out before it freezes if you can and check the Max temps on the CPU and GPU and let me know what they come back as please ? I need to know temps and how long you were playing for.

Oct 21, 2018
Okay!

Here is the story behind it: I ended up losing my cabinet doors. I let my PC running open like that when I bought the GPU. When it was closed it reached 60°C and I freaked out. Bought a cooler just for the GPU and kept it open. Then I realized the temperature it got was normal and that the GPU has a smart fan.
So I removed the extra cooler (that made it dirty much quicker). But I don't have the doors anymore. lol

But I have an air compressor at home. When it gets dirty I clean it. It is not super clean right now but too soon to clean it. Took some better pics of it. https://imgur.com/a/EjCkzLm Check it out ;)

It also crashes when its super clean. Last time I cleaned (about 2 months ago, I think) I even took it to a store so that they could put new thermal paste.

Fun fact: when I let my computer on for hours among hours downloading/ seeding torrents, there's no crash and no high temperatures.
Downloading the software you mentioned right now!
Okay! I will do that.
But just so you know, I tried something similar a couple weeks ago. It was a program people use to overclock (I guess... Can't remember the name) but I used it so I could monitor CPU/GPU/RAM usage/ temperature while gaming. What I found out is that all 4 of my cores were 100% almost all the time. My RAM and GPU were not being used that much. I will switch to my SSD (where I can launch BF4) and do as you said.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Do you know how to manually update drivers for your graphics card ? If so, can you please uninstall your current driver and install this driver from this link, its few versions ago but was the last stable build IMO:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Sorry, Brain fade.... First go to search in the start bar and find "Device Manager" and find your Graphics Card, open properties and uninstall the existing driver. Then visit this page and download the second file on the list dated 23/5/18 and install, this will roll back your drivers to a previous version.

Oct 21, 2018
Sorry but I am not following... My GPU is an AMD RX560. Are you sure I should install the driver you linked?
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/1380...
This one ^?