Question Sudden stuttering + half or less frames in games after PC shut itself down

May 24, 2019
Hello guys, ive found similar Posts, but none that matches my case very well so far.

My 5 year old PC just shut itself down while ingame. I wasnt able to reboot it afterwards, just nothing happened.
I didnt really clean it often, so i went to open up the case and clean it as well as possible with the limited tools i had.
Also i reconnected the GPU and the RAM sticks and plugged it back in. The PC booted up again, without any warnings showing up in the windows logs as far as i can tell.

Everything seemed to be normal, but when i got back to gaming i noticed that my frames went from stable (locked to) 120 frames on medium settings (Game was Fortnite, please dont hate me ) down to 80ish frames on MUCH lower settings, like downscaled resolution, shadows off etc.
With drops to like 20 frames very often. No matter if there is action in the game. So not only the frames got pretty much halfed across the board, but also it stutters so hard that it is no longer fun to play.
I tried the system with each of my two RAM sticks ingame and in desktop applications and it seemed like both are working fine. I used crystaldisk to check my HDD, which did indicate that its gone bad over the years, so i swapped that out for another SSD (Windows was on a 128gb SSD) and reainstalled windows.

I had done this before like once a year just to get make sure the pc gets rid of data trash and to make it fresh again.
The instalation seems to be working, but the issue didnt solve with the new ssd. The HDD is not connected to the pc anymore, so it cant be that.
Sadly i need to admit that i didnt change the thermal paste over those 5 years, but i dont have another CPU to check if it got damaged by overheating (since the crash appeared ingame after quite a while of gaming).
Also when i opened up the case and cleaned it, when i first booted the system up i noticed a spark flying away from the mainboard and also some smell. Like the smell hardware in a old Computer. Cant really locate the origin of that spark, but it may be that.

Dont know this much about pcs, so please help me if possible.

May be worth telling you that prior to the crash or the lags that appeared, i did not install anything, every update was set off, so iam pretty sure everything was set like every other day before the system crashed/started stuttering.
Now after reinstalling windows there might be some drivers that are different, but iam somehow doubting that this is the problem.

Specs:

Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 4x3.30 GHZ so 1150

8 GB 2x 4096MB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 Ram 1600 DIMM

AsRock Fatality h87 Performance Mainboard

120 SDamsung 840 Evo SSD for Windows (didnt renew that one)

Geforce GTX 780 WindForce 3xOC GPU

and a fairly new Bequiet Powersupply, since the original one broke. But it cant really be that.

My knowledge is very limited, but i hope that somebody here can help me out.

Thanks in advance.