Suddenly horrible tearing, stuttering and lagging

Jan 20, 2019
Hello

A month now I've been getting horrible screen tearing, stuttering and lag, sometimes even with vsync on. I haven't changed any hardware or settings but still this happens in Rainbow Six Siege, Far Cry 5, Battlefield V, GTA V and everything else I play. Before I have played without vsync, fps cap or any such thing on most of these games and it's been 100% playable. What could be the cause? Any ideas? Is this a problem with the gpu which I've had for less than a year, and should I return it?

My specs (no overclocking):
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k 3.5GHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 (2 sticks)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 EXTREME4
PSU: be quiet! system power 8 500W
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 412S
SSD: Sasmung 850 EVO 500GB and one 250GB

Thanks in advance,
svenskost6

Solution
May well be some "perfect storm" of events, actions, apps, etc..

You can reduce the possibilities by disabling known programs from startup - especially if not used or rarely used. And google for any programs that you do not recognize. All sorts of things (aka crapware) can sneak in....

Just keep track of what you do stop/disable in case you need to reverse the change.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor utility tools to observe your what your system is doing.

First while not gaming. Then leave the tool open and slide to one side. Game as usual.

Watch to see where there is some bottleneck or some other problem showing up.

Jan 20, 2019

I think that could be it as it under this month a few rare times has been normal, so it must be a program or something that doesn't always run. Right now is one of them moments though so I can't see what is causing it :??:

Ralston18

Titan
May well be some "perfect storm" of events, actions, apps, etc..

You can reduce the possibilities by disabling known programs from startup - especially if not used or rarely used. And google for any programs that you do not recognize. All sorts of things (aka crapware) can sneak in....

Just keep track of what you do stop/disable in case you need to reverse the change.

Solution