Question Suddenly my PC became slow

Jan 21, 2022
I came from long holiday and after switching my PC on, i noticed that it became very slow. Downloading games takes a lot of time as well, same goes for opening programs and web browser. I tried to check all drivers but after updating them it did not help. I then changed windows 10 to windows 11, that did not help as well. My last try was to Reset this PC, this resulted in 8 hour reset, which shouldn't take so much time. This did not fix anything, PC did become a bit faster but issue has not been fixed completely as PC is still slow. I have checked performance and all hardware seem to be healthy, all temperatures are 30-45 degrees. The problems seems to affect CPU as it can peek to high percentage and disk activity % can go high despite me not doing anything on PC. I have suspicions that issue is in intel optane memory and that something is wrong with my Disk C. Or something could be wrong with power supply and it does not give enough power.
Anyone has any good ideas what could be wrong with my PC because i am lost.
PC:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Ram: 16gb
Windows 11
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce rtx 2080ti 11GB
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO:ATX LGA1151 SATA 6GBs
2 same storage drive: 2tb seagate barracuda sata-III, 6gbs/s
intel optane memory 64gb intel m10
Power supply: corsair 650w TXm series

I have checked performance and all hardware seem to be healthy
how?
you will need to include in detail what you have done to troubleshoot hardware performance.

for all software and downloads to be running slower than usual would usually point to disk read/write issues.

use hardware monitoring software to check CPU core clock speeds, memory speed, etc.

also run CHKDSK for disk issues
and run a few rounds of MEMTEST to check for memory issues.

Jan 21, 2022
how?
you will need to include in detail what you have done to troubleshoot hardware performance.

for all software and downloads to be running slower than usual would usually point to disk read/write issues.

use hardware monitoring software to check CPU core clock speeds, memory speed, etc.

also run CHKDSK for disk issues
and run a few rounds of MEMTEST to check for memory issues.
Done performance monitoring and it shows everything is stable apart from slow task performance. In addition, drive goes only at 130mbs which is very low for this PC. Ram, gpu are in excelent condition. The only point that test indicated, is that i need to upgrade to ssd.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Run something inane, where you can also watch taskmaster. Watch the % used and what's using it. Any specific services or processes, anything that shouldn't be connected. I had a similar issue a few years back, an nvidia driver had somehow gliched and was accessing the fontcache, gave me a 15% idle and 90% usage.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seems one of your drives is having issues. Whether that's due to the higher than normal access or not is unknown. I'd re-enable optane since that's a cache memory and allows ssd-like speeds for whatever is loaded. I'd also run Crystal disk on the drives to see their general health. If both drives were present when windows was loaded, both will be required for windows operation. If there's an issue with one, it'll affect the total.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Weird thing is that the system drive (C) has 2t free when being only 2tb. Same drives and only few differences in the benchmarks and still relatively big difference in how they are rated. Wonder if Userbenchmark isn't optimized for W11.

Jan 21, 2022
Seems one of your drives is having issues. Whether that's due to the higher than normal access or not is unknown. I'd re-enable optane since that's a cache memory and allows ssd-like speeds for whatever is loaded. I'd also run Crystal disk on the drives to see their general health. If both drives were present when windows was loaded, both will be required for windows operation. If there's an issue with one, it'll affect the total.
I enabled optane and did UBM after that. PC feels a bit slower after enabling optane. In addition, UBM shows there is some performance issues with optane.
PC Intel Z370 Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So I'm guessing that either windows updated or some sort of security files or drivers in windows were updated and are messing with the optane installation or functions. With a hdd uncached, you are definitely seeing a slowdown compared to what was normal,

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I enabled optane and did UBM after that. PC feels a bit slower after enabling optane. In addition, UBM shows there is some performance issues with optane.
PC Intel Z370 Performance Results - UserBenchmark
Seems like it should be faster,

SusWrite @10s intervals: 432 444 568 575 578 548 MB/s

You did set up optane like explained here?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tga5K8hStw8

or read one of the PDF's here,
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...9/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

still bugged about the system drive being 2tb and empty when the other drive which you are accelerating is 1.5tb which you would think is the C drive. Wonder if boot partition is on the system drive where windows really is on the second drive. Can you show a screenshot of diskmanager?

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.
Can use the snipping tool in windows to make the screenshot.