Status
Not open for further replies.

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Specs:- 4GB RAM DDR3, GT710, Intel quad core q6600, SP 120gb ssd, WD 500gb hdd

So recently my motherboard and psu broke down due to some reason and after getting it fixed/replaced from a local shop I am having crashes playing games that were running before just fine. Valorant, csgo, hades and few others are crashing at one point or another and I have to force restart. Its working fine when I am not gaming or just doing normal stuff. I tried stress/bench test the cpu, gpu and ssd and they all performed and worked as I expected and didnt crash. I tried changing gpu's drivers but same issue. Temps are fine while for the moment game lasts the temps stays around 50-60 for gpu and 60-70 for cpu which is same as always. I am guessing its crashing when gaming because game is putting cpu and gpu at load at same time which is putting psu under heavy load.

I really think its the problem of the psu that local shop installed in it, could be faulty or just bad in general but I am not 100% sure. So I am posting this thread to just confirm my doubts and to be sure that there are not any other causes for the crash. The crashes have only started after it came back from repair so I can only guess its the fault of new psu unless there's something I am missing here. The psu is 450watt, idk which brand/model it is exactly have not opened the case myself yet.

Thnx for all the help!!

Solution
It was motherboard.
I tried replacing motherboard with a spare one I had and its working completely fine now.
I don't know how or what part of mobo was exactly faulty but I guess it showed its age for being so old.
Thanks for all the replies and help!!

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
so I did some testing and nothing is helping me, I swapped PSU to one of my friend's and then did all the bench test on cpu(cpu-z), gpu(furrmark), ssd(crystal), hdd(crystal) again, (even did all of them at same time if that changes anything) but they all went smoothly and gave normal performance and didn't crash. I updated my os to latest version and the crashes are still happening when I start playing any game (csgo, val, portal 2, hades).

Is this issue related to motherboard somehow? I don't see how but who knows what it is at this point.
If the temps are good...the PSU would definitely be my main suspect at this point.
I tried changing PSU but it didn't help at all.

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
PC has started crashing randomly and crashes everytime I try to play any game wether something like Portal 2 or something like Valorant or Hades, it crashes every single time. It rarely crashes at same points. I have been using this pc for a while now and I have been playing these games for past years and this problem never happened, it just started happening last week.

Things I have tried to do:- I tried swapping PSU with a friend of mine, I tried replacing ram sticks with new one (trying different ram slots, trying each sticks one by one), using "CrystalDiskInfo" I found out that my hdd had some problem and was marked yellow while my sdd was compeltely fine marked green so I tried booting pc with hdd removed completely and playing valorant which is installed on sdd along with os, still crashed. I ran bench test or stress test on both gpu and cpu for 5-10 min. Worked completely fine.

I can only think of cpu or motherboard being faulty at this point but I tried bench test on cpu and results were fine, I also stress tested the cpu for 5-10 min and it worked just fine (using cpu-z). Same with gpu (using furrmark).

Specs- 2x 4gb DDR3 Hynix ram, Intel quad core q6600, GT710 Asus, Western Digitals 500gb hdd, Silicon Power ssd 120gb, crossair V450 psu. I do not know what exactly my motherboard is but according to cpu-z it is as follows:-

Manufacturer- LORD ELECTRONICS Model- LORD G4X 775 ICH7 8712
BIOS- Brand: American Megatrends Inc. Version: G4177L0D Date: 04/30/2016

If the problem is cpu then why doesn't it crash during bench or stress test and why only during games or sometimes even randomly? If its motherboard is there any way I can test it's mobo for sure?

Thanks for help!

Lutfij

Titan
Which VS450W do you have? The yellow labelled unit or the Orange labelled unit? How old is the unit in your build? What was the make and model of your friend's PSU and how old is it? Honestly for a platform as old as the Q6600, you should look into a new concurrent platform since the amount of money spent to revive or repair your current platform, would cost just as much as a new platform but faster.

If it's a generic motherboard from China, then it could very well be a BIOS issue or an OS issue.

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
Which VS450W do you have? The yellow labelled unit or the Orange labelled unit? How old is the unit in your build? What was the make and model of your friend's PSU and how old is it? Honestly for a platform as old as the Q6600, you should look into a new concurrent platform since the amount of money spent to revive or repair your current platform, would cost just as much as a new platform but faster.

If it's a generic motherboard from China, then it could very well be a BIOS issue or an OS issue.

My VS450:-
https://www.amazon.in/Corsair-VS450-450-Watt-Power-Supply/dp/B00X8QBT6M
My friend's VS450 is same model as mine. My psu is about 1 year old and my friend's psu is about 3 years old.

To be honest, yes I have been thinking to just pack it all up and change to a new platform with a lot better cpu and a lot better ram, gpu and everything. But I would at least like to know what is causing sudden crashes in my current system so if I salvage any part like storage or psu from my current build it won't effect later, if I build a new one. If the problem is my motherboard or cpu mainly to the point that I have to replace them I will just build a new system.

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
It was motherboard.
I tried replacing motherboard with a spare one I had and its working completely fine now.
I don't know how or what part of mobo was exactly faulty but I guess it showed its age for being so old.
Thanks for all the replies and help!!

Solution

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
It was motherboard.
Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.