[SOLVED] Suggest a build or digitization of books?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krishna_balajee

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm sorry to post again but I'd be happy to get some replies.
We're a team of 5 individuals indulged in the digitization of books. We're looking to create a workstation build with the budget of 1200 USD (90K INR) that will do the following:

1. Connected to a high-end scanner and enable the process of digitization of books with ease & efficiency.
  2. Store the digitized books and act as a digital library, allow 5 users to easily access the books and apply authorization security techniques.
  3. Perform synchronized backup to secondary hard disk storage & cloud storage.
  4. Be a workhorse for at least 8 hours every day of the week.
We've selected some of the parts but we don't mind getting better suggestions. The parts we need and we've selected:

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Amazon Link)
Cooler: ??
Mobo: ??
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Amazon Link)
Storage:
SSD for OS: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Amazon Link)
Hard Disk for File Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Amazon Link)
GPU: ??
Case: ??
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Amazon Link)

Please suggest us if any other peripheral would make the digitization process easier and let us know if any of the parts don't go well with the other. An absolutely new set of parts suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Now coming to components I listed and changes you can make to it.

Intel i5 vs i7 if you think you need that extra 2C/4T then yes go for it.

RAM the one I listed is similar to what you are getting but sold as individual modules. They work as it is and you can add more in future if required.

SSD. Well if 500GB is enough then purchase 500GB version of WD Blue. But you will have to flush the books to External drive on regular basis as compared to 1TB HDD. That is your choice.

The NAS and HDD combo. That will be the best way to store our backup and get it to be Portable if required. The HDD I listed WD HGST Ultrastar He8 is for a reason. That HDD has lowest Failure rate next to WD GOLD. That is why I listed. Even then you have to...

krishna_balajee

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
So when it comes to Crucial 500GB vs WD 500 GB there's a very less write speed increase in WD but there's also a small price increase. Getting a 1TB of SSD doesn't seem to fit our circumstance, as we'll be using the same softwares and not use the workstation for anything else.

krishna_balajee

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Going with Intel you really don't need GPU either.
I thought of it, but we might get a second monitor for library stats to be shown in the office. Do you think Intel can handle two monitors? I wasn't sure, tbh.

Why are you not purchasing from Online retailers. is there a reason. They are legit. They provide bills. Products will be covered under warranty no issue.

If there is a reason please let me know.

Please can you also tell me in which City you live in. Will be helpful.
We live in Chennai and we'll be able to get the above mentioned parts way cheaper than the online prices in our market. Also, the vendor is our go-to vendor for all things computer, which gives us not much option.

Now coming to components I listed and changes you can make to it.

Intel i5 vs i7 if you think you need that extra 2C/4T then yes go for it.

RAM the one I listed is similar to what you are getting but sold as individual modules. They work as it is and you can add more in future if required.

SSD. Well if 500GB is enough then purchase 500GB version of WD Blue. But you will have to flush the books to External drive on regular basis as compared to 1TB HDD. That is your choice.

The NAS and HDD combo. That will be the best way to store our backup and get it to be Portable if required. The HDD I listed WD HGST Ultrastar He8 is for a reason. That HDD has lowest Failure rate next to WD GOLD. That is why I listed. Even then you have to Purchase two of them and run in RAID1 if you value your work and don't wanna loose it after years.

PSU Corsair RM Series is the best specially for the price it is going for.

Reactions: krishna_balajee
Solution
I thought of it, but we might get a second monitor for library stats to be shown in the office. Do you think Intel can handle two monitors? I wasn't sure, tbh.

We live in Chennai and we'll be able to get the above mentioned parts way cheaper than the online prices in our market. Also, the vendor is our go-to vendor for all things computer, which gives us not much option.
If you are able to find the components locally that is fine. But if vendors try to get you some other stuff then just don't compromise. If that is the case please drop in a message and let us know what they are offering instead of the components we listed.

Yes CPU can handle but not all Motherboards and Monitors are supported. The ASUS TUF Board supports Two Monitor. But One is for HDMI and other is on DP. If you really want we can drop in some low end GPU at the end. No problem we can think about it in the end. Intel CPU does support Two Monitors no problem.

If you are able to find the components locally that is fine. But if vendors try to get you some other stuff then just don't compromise. If that is the case please drop in a message and let us know what they are offering instead of the components we listed.
I am again telling you. If you visit local stores and are unable to find components on the list and the vendors try to force alternates onto you. Just don't don't purchase them. Let us know and we will discuss.

For example you go to purchase WD HGST Ultrastar He8 and it is not available in local stores and then they try to recommend you other stuff like WD RED or Seagate IronWolf Pro just don't purchase it. The replacement for that WD HGST Ultrastar He8 will be WD GOLD HDD if they are offering you WD GOLD then you can purchase it. Otherwise better purchase it online.

That is one example I gave you. So if there is something like that let us know. Just don't get forced or influenced by the vendors. Please let us know when you finalize the list.

krishna_balajee

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
I am again telling you. If you visit local stores and are unable to find components on the list and the vendors try to force alternates onto you. Just don't don't purchase them. Let us know and we will discuss.

For example you go to purchase WD HGST Ultrastar He8 and it is not available in local stores and then they try to recommend you other stuff like WD RED or Seagate IronWolf Pro just don't purchase it. The replacement for that WD HGST Ultrastar He8 will be WD GOLD HDD if they are offering you WD GOLD then you can purchase it. Otherwise better purchase it online.

That is one example I gave you. So if there is something like that let us know. Just don't get forced or influenced by the vendors. Please let us know when you finalize the list.
Thank you for your patience @King Dranzer and for listening to me. I'm only following the parts list that they're providing and if I'm not able to get the ones that I want, I'll definitely get a word from here.
Honestly, I might have to get the NAS and HGST HDD from online. Will decide about it sooner.
I'll once again look into your suggestions and come up with a list that my peers will be happy about as well.
Great working together for my build! Kudos to you!!

Thank you for your patience @King Dranzer and for listening to me. I'm only following the parts list that they're providing and if I'm not able to get the ones that I want, I'll definitely get a word from here.
Honestly, I might have to get the NAS and HGST HDD from online. Will decide about it sooner.
I'll once again look into your suggestions and come up with a list that my peers will be happy about as well.
Great working together for my build! Kudos to you!!
If it is some kind of list they are providing(pdf or excel or pics etc.) from where you can choose provide a link to that. It will be helpful.

g-unit1111

Titan
Well. It has i5 6C/12T which is not bad but i7 has 8C/16T which takes up the price of my build to around Rs. 1,12,000. Or compromise on storage. Which is up to you.

6TB HDD costs Rs.13,500 which will save you 8K when purchased two. So overall you will get 2TB less but can fit in i7-10700 for same budget

I don't understand why 6TB would be necessary. You can always add drives and storage as you go. I'd spend more money on the 12/24 CPU as it would be better for more labor intensive Adobe tasks, as would having more RAM.

I don't understand why 6TB would be necessary. You can always add drives and storage as you go. I'd spend more money on the 12/24 CPU as it would be better for more labor intensive Adobe tasks, as would having more RAM.
Because price jump from 4TB to 6TB is hardly 5K($70) for two drives which is very minimal and wont get you anything better than that extra 2TB of storage which would make sense. Ryzen R9 3900X is again 13K($180) more expensive than i7-10700 and add another 2.5-3K($35-40) over it for GPU which won't be covered going for 4TB instead of 6TB. Neither would going with extra 16GB RAM 7K($100) be worthy expenditure as it can be added at any time. So yeah. He could store that many extra books on it without requiring to swap it for over longer period of time.

g-unit1111

Titan
Because price jump from 4TB to 6TB is hardly 5K($70) for two drives which is very minimal and wont get you anything better than that extra 2TB of storage which would make sense. Ryzen R9 3900X is again 13K($180) more expensive than i7-10700 and add another 2.5-3K($35-40) over it for GPU which won't be covered going for 4TB instead of 6TB. Neither would going with extra 16GB RAM 7K($100) be worthy expenditure as it can be added at any time. So yeah. He could store that many extra books on it without requiring to swap it for over longer period of time.

Yes, but the GPU doesn't really matter in this case as most of the work being done is very CPU intensive. Believe me, I know, I work with Adobe CS and very large CAD files. The more detailed your work is, the more resources you will need to be able to load it properly. In this case, the GPU is only used to output to the monitor, you don't need anything more than the barest of minimums here.

D

Deleted member 14196

Raid is NOT a form of backup. If you are relying on that then you are going to lose everything when it fails

Raid is NOT a form of backup. If you are relying on that then you are going to lose everything when it fails
RAID is a form of backup and it was initially invented for that sole purpose. But now RAID is much more than that depending on what you do. RAID1 is the best and most reliable way for backup where entire data is duplicated to second Drive. I am not talking about RAID0 or RAID5 etc where there is possibility of loss of data. RAID1 is least economical but people who go for RAID1 value their Data over the value of Extra HDD. I have been using RAID1 for very long time. In this long time I had 2 cases of Driver Failure with White Label Seagates. In both the cases I did not loose the Data. Since purchasing WD GOLD Drives I have not faced any failures yet. But I have few of the pairs stored and pull them off the shelves 2-3Times a year. They work fine every single time till date.

Last edited:
Yes, but the GPU doesn't really matter in this case as most of the work being done is very CPU intensive. Believe me, I know, I work with Adobe CS and very large CAD files. The more detailed your work is, the more resources you will need to be able to load it properly. In this case, the GPU is only used to output to the monitor, you don't need anything more than the barest of minimums here.
Yes you are right for what you said and I agree with it. But I guess you understand that in Adobe CS Adobe Ps, Lr, Ai, Sg none of these are CPU intensive in a way that they will using more than 8C/16T on a CPU. For his work I don't see him using any other Software besides these which will be needing that many CPU Cores. Yes they are improving the use of more cores but seriously for tasks to go over 8C/16T it will need IMAX 18K resolution to be mainstream. Hope you understand what I am saying.

D

Deleted member 14196

Counting on Raid as backup is absolutely foolish.I recommend skipping raid and doing daily automated backups with Macreum instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

g-unit1111

Titan
Yes you are right for what you said and I agree with it. But I guess you understand that in Adobe CS Adobe Ps, Lr, Ai, Sg none of these are CPU intensive in a way that they will using more than 8C/16T on a CPU. For his work I don't see him using any other Software besides these which will be needing that many CPU Cores. Yes they are improving the use of more cores but seriously for tasks to go over 8C/16T it will need IMAX 18K resolution to be mainstream. Hope you understand what I am saying.

No, what does resolution have to do with anything I said? It's more about the size and layering of the files that makes them difficult to load. If you work with large (gigabyte+), multi-layered files, it can bring down even the highest cored CPUs.

No, what does resolution have to do with anything I said? It's more about the size and layering of the files that makes them difficult to load. If you work with large (gigabyte+), multi-layered files, it can bring down even the highest cored CPUs.
But even the lightest single layer basic IMAX Resolution image sizes around 1GB and adding even one or two additional layers utilize all 10C/20T on my i7-6950X to max while utilizing 28-30GB of RAM Just like that. Where as Multi-layer 4K image takes 100MB and hardly uses any resource in comparison. Resolution does matter. It effects a lot on how resource intensive the Project gonna be. Yes more complicated and heavy the project becomes more resources it utilizes. But yes resolution plays a major role on CPU+RAM Utilization.

g-unit1111

Titan
But even the lightest single layer basic IMAX Resolution image sizes around 1GB and adding even one or two additional layers utilize all 10C/20T on my i7-6950X to max while utilizing 28-30GB of RAM Just like that. Where as Multi-layer 4K image takes 100MB and hardly uses any resource in comparison. Resolution does matter. It effects a lot on how resource intensive the Project gonna be. Yes more complicated and heavy the project becomes more resources it utilizes. But yes resolution plays a major role on CPU+RAM Utilization.

Where I work we have a machine with a 9800XE and people complain that even that's not fast enough. But then again we are talking about books here, I can't imagine anything above 4K being utilized here.

Where I work we have a machine with a 9800XE and people complain that even that's not fast enough. But then again we are talking about books here, I can't imagine anything above 4K being utilized here.
Yes Sir. That was my point. I am by no standards into Photoshop for Pro work. But year or two ago i had to work on a project for a local Educational Institute. Project was based on IMAX and its evolution. So they needed Few Pics at IMAX 70mm resolution which was 18K and to Edit those few Pics My PC was first time was being used to its Max limit on Adobe Photo Shop. I never expected to hit 100% utilization on 10C/20T for a Photoshop Project before that. Till date I have never hit Full utilization on my PC for Photoshop again because I am not working with huge files like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.