Suggestions for CASE

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Hey everyone, I have a real crap case and need to upgrade. Just wanted to know which is the best for myself.

It will be mainly for gaming.
I'll be running a AMD with no more than 2 HDD, and I already have a good PSU. Won't be using SLI, and have a sound card.

-probable no window is better for me
-won't be moving the case, so weight doesn't matter
-overclocking and want something with nice airflow
-noise isn't a major factor for me
-need filters inside cause I'm living on an old farm that has a ton of dust and long-ass dog hairs kicking around.

-Price is a huge factor though, I'm leaning towards the Raidmax X1.

I've been looking at:

Antec P180
Aspire X-Dreamer
Aspire X-Cruiser
Cooler Master Centurion
Raidmax X1
and ThermalTake models.

phonicsmonkey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I'm looking for a new case too and here are some the deals that I've found:

$64 at geeks.com - Coolermaster Wavemaster TAC-01

$59.99 after rebate at radioshack.com - Ultra Products ULT31825 Aluminus Blue High-Gloss Case , also available in silver

Various prices at ebay.com - this guy coolerplanet at ebay has a ton of refurbished Coolermaster cases. Check his feedback for all the satisfied customers and you can also see the cheap prices some of the cases have been sold for. I've lost 2 auctions on this guys cases and they both went for $1 more than my max. Good luck on finding what you need.

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah I really like the P-180, I have heard that some cords/connections don't reach because its a big size, mainly the PSU. Also I heard that if you have longer cards that its kind of hard to fit it inside.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
-probable no window is better for me
-won't be moving the case, so weight doesn't matter
-overclocking and want something with nice airflow
-noise isn't a major factor for me
-need filters inside cause I'm living on an old farm that has a ton of dust and long-ass dog hairs kicking around.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I have a big dust and dog hair problem too so I decided to get a case with a filter. Maybe I didn't shop around enough, but I was short on time and the local PC Club had the steel Thermaltake Armor on sale so I got it. This case is probably way larger than you need and might be over your budget. I wanted to fit 6 or 7 HDs and have airflow over them and the Armor can do that just fine. But the thing is pretty huge.

Here's the thing - due to my heavy dust load, I have to clean the filters about once a month and it's kind of a pain. I pull out seven bay covers, pluck the foam out of each, wash them in water and dry. Then I have to get the filters back into the bay covers and already, the process is beginning to take its toll on the filter elements after just 3 cleanings. The foam is just too wimpy but on the good side, they do stop the dust very well. I recently found a source for metal filter mesh that will be tough enough to last a long time. I'm working with a machinist and once he finishes a frame that fits into that 7-bay space, I'll have a nice custom filter that is easy to pull out and clean.

The Armor breathes very well. I'm running an AMD 4400+ and so far have only mildly OC'ed it but the CPU stays down in the low 40C range when gaming. The graphics card runs a few degrees hotter at most. I haven't pushed the HDs hard enough to generate much heat. I did buy an extra HD fan cage, so there are two 12cm fans on the front, one exhausting out the back, another 8cm fan in back and an 8cm on the blowhole. I'm using the upright Zalman CPU cooler. I replaced the 12cm fans with (forgot the brand name) 14dB fans and it's not all that loud. Completely tolerable since I always have tunes or other audio playing. Once I put quiet 8cm fans in, it'll really be quiet. The two of them are louder than all three of the 12s, even though two of the 12s are right up front.

If computer gaming lasts at the current popularity level for another decade, I expect to see significant improvements in case design and active cooling technology. But I don't expect the good designs to be cheap.

TDRSnake

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hey, Abeck. Im currently getting the parts for my first build and have asked the same question to the group of guys/gals that I attend LAN Parties with.

EVERY single one told me to purchase a Lian Li case. Each listed reasons why:

1. Removable mobo trays. From what I understand, these should be standard in every case, but are not. Most, probably all, Lian Li cases have removable motherboard trays.

2. Very high quality construction. They are sturdy, tough, and pleasing to the eye. Tooless for the most part.

3. Most come with filter screens for the fans, so this would help with your dog hair problem.

4. Did I say high quality construction?

Here is the link to Lian Li cases at New Egg. Check em out.

Lian Li Cases at NewEgg

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hey, Abeck. Im currently getting the parts for my first build and have asked the same question to the group of guys/gals that I attend LAN Parties with.

EVERY single one told me to purchase a Lian Li case. Each listed reasons why: (snip)

I looked closely at the Lian Li's and thought they looked very good. Unfortunately, the ones I liked the most all that the front panel USB ports down low on the front panel. I've got a Vaio desktop that has a similar arraggement and I have never liked it. Then again, the TTake Armor I did buy has the USBs on top near the blow hole and I don't like that either, so I took the bus off of the top and am making my own cover plate out of aluminum to disquise the hole that was left behind. I got a all-in-one USB/firewire/memory reader/fan controller that fits in a 5.5" bay and put it between the two optical bays. Much better!

There will always be compromises to be made. i was real close to buying the Lian Li. They do have a very high quality look and feel and are priced very fairly.

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If lo-dollar is a priority look at the thrift stores. I picked a large ATX case capibile of holding everything one could possibily put in it for $5.00! Hope the weather is good this week end. Want to paint it!
More info Email me at : noctemcarpe@xmission.com
DC

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What are other people using in there case fan-wise?
How many fans and what size should I be looking for?
- noise isn't that much of a factor, I just don't want it to sound like a vacuum

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
What are other people using in there case fan-wise?
- noise isn't that much of a factor, I just don't want it to sound like a vacuum

I picked up a 12cm SilenX fan that is listed at 14dB and for sure it is much quieter than the ~28dB Thermaltake fan it replaced. It moves a little less air than the TTake fan but it's not an issue because my case has so many fans. My box is a Thermaltake Armor so I have two 12cm fans in front of the HDs and another in the back. There's a 8cm fan alongside the PS and another pushing out the blowhole. I'm so impressed with the SilenX, I plan to replace all of my Thermaltake fans. Bummer is, the 12cm SilenX cost $30. I need to find a less expensive supplier. No luck yet.

Blowhole fans are a good thing because they keep the rising air from pooling at the PS. But having a hole on top also means that a spilled drink could run right down onto your goodies, so be careful.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005

I have four generic 80mm case fans and it does sound like a vacuum cleaner :?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've got the Cooler Master 531, it's a great case when you take the fan out of the front and put it in back. It's an even better case if you simply add a second fan to the back. Some nice fellow already linked the review.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the Tt Kandalf and I love it. It huge and spacious providing good ventilation and houses 3 hd and 3 more with the removable hd rack. I think its one of the best full tower out there but for the price will set you back but it's definitely worth it.

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
yah i've been looking into the Tsunami, but i was on other forums and ppl were bashing Thermaltake, i'm guessing because it was mainly a modding-case forum and they don't care much about a nice system and cooling.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
no the tsunami is a really good case unless u wanna spend money on like an antec go with the tsunami

If u go tmoney to spend try the Antec P160 or P150 stay away from the P180 i wanted the 180 my self but hear it warps and bends out of shape over a fe months time, the dorr wont close corectly and the aliminum will bend

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I use the Lian Li 6077, which is a good case, very well built, but only has room for 3hdds as standard, although the entire front of the case is completely customisable in terms of drive/power button positions etc

solid case, but id probably rather have an antec p180 or a coolermaster stacker

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok first lian li's are for the rich and wealthy any of they "decent" cases are over 100 bucks

2 read reviews on the P180 it sgood for the first 6 months then the aluminum warps and bends then the door wont close correctly

the cooler master, yes its good but if you are rich and wealthy get the CM Stacker 830 with room for 9 120mm Fans u cna overclock all u want

but i would sugest the Thermaltake Armor/Kandalf