[SOLVED] Suggestions for reliable, moderate cost 4 to 6 HD

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
The WD Black, 640, in my now old, nay ancient computer is max'd out. I've got a couple more in there to expand storage as well as a recent SSD for a boot drive. Now I intend to build a new computer sometime soon, and I would like to throw something in there now that I could use as a backup now and just transfer into a new machine when I get off my lazy a** and research and build one using a new SSD as the boot drive. But I'm not talking RAID. I'm not a gamer, but I can be impatient, but how much slower is a 5400 than a 7200? Storage is mostly photos and music. Yes I've looked at Backblaze among other places. I see nothing but rants about WDs new Blue drives with SMR, so I'm thinking I don't want that, but I've had a few WD Blacks and been very happy with them. I know Greens are turds and I'm highly suspicious of Seagate, I've had a couple of failures with them. HGST looks great, but on the pricey side, although bargains are to be had on ebay, but I take that with a grain of salt.

So my wise friends, what 4-6 T hard drives should I be looking at. And yes, I know about Cheap/Fast/Reliable, pick any two.

Solution
for just media storage and maybe system backups you should look a bit into external storage.
the portability can be a huge bonus vs internally installed drives.
how much slower is a 5400 than a 7200?
in terms of disk speed you won't notice any difference for media purposes,
but for backup 5400 vs 7200 may slow down disk image creation and incremental backups a bit.

running an OS or any more intensive software can show differences in loading, saving data, and basic usage.
but i would never recommend using an HDD for any type of software installations.
what 4-6 T hard drives should I be looking at

i have 2x 3TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda for all audio, video, images, and other basic storage.
and an 8TB 5400RPM Seagate...
for just media storage and maybe system backups you should look a bit into external storage.
the portability can be a huge bonus vs internally installed drives.
how much slower is a 5400 than a 7200?
in terms of disk speed you won't notice any difference for media purposes,
but for backup 5400 vs 7200 may slow down disk image creation and incremental backups a bit.

running an OS or any more intensive software can show differences in loading, saving data, and basic usage.
but i would never recommend using an HDD for any type of software installations.
what 4-6 T hard drives should I be looking at

i have 2x 3TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda for all audio, video, images, and other basic storage.
and an 8TB 5400RPM Seagate Desktop that i use only for backing up this stored media and my OS disks.
i really do not notice any speed difference between them with my usage.

the 2x Barracudas are stored in an external 2.5" / 3.5" SATA dock that connects via USB 3.2.
the 8TB Desktop is just a basic external drive and also connects via USB 3.2.
the Barracudas have been in use for over 5 years now, the external Desktop for over 2 years.
no issue with any of them.
i also have a secondary system that has an internal 3.5" 7200RPM 4TB Western Digital Black connected that has been in use for 5+ years and it also has never shown any problems.

you can see a more detailed report of my main system storage configuration in my signature.

Solution