Suggestions on Gaming & HD video editing PC- High-Spec

atabbott

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Suggestions on Gaming & HD video editing PC- High-Spec

Approximate Purchase Date: Very soon

Budget Range: About the price of components already listed

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming & HD Video Editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website for Parts: www.amazon.co.uk (not the cheapest, but a good selection and I am a prime costumer)

Country of Origin: UK

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

I am new to building my own systems and have never ever done it before and am looking for any useful suggestions anyone might possibly give me, Anything from, the fans you have chosen are not adequate for cooling your system to, the CPU you chose it terrible. I really don’t mind what any sergestion is! :)

My Amazon.co.uk wish-list with parts, and quantity of parts!

I do also have a couple of questions about what i have chosen, if someone could answer then that would be most appreciated:

1) I know the case i have chosen comes with 4 fans, but will they be enough to cool the system if, especially if i over clock it? I have added The appropriate number of extra fans onto my wishlist (Should they be needed) let me know.

2)Is the Heat sync that comes with the CPU enough to cool it if if i want to over clock the system, and if not, can you suggest one that is?

and plz remember ANY suggestions welcome.

Thanks in Advance :)

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
1. NZXT Phantom is very pretty but garbage. Its cooling system is average at best despite a plethora of fans (noisy). The airflow is kind of retarded. Get a Silverstone case instead, Those cool the best (positive air pressure).

FT02-BW is the best case for the parts listed IMO. If the rotated motherboard doesn't do it for you then a coolermaster HAF-anything is good value and effective.

2. Kingston V+ SSDs are overpriced garbage. Buy a Corsair Force 3 or GT. OCZ is okay too. You're going to want 120gb at least. Remember that these drives always end up being smaller than they are advertised as. (ie. My 120gb formats to 107gb and there's nothing that can be done about that)

3. CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-D14. Mine allows a 4.8ghz overclock on my 2500k and is almost silent. If that's too expensive, a hyper-212+ will do fine. Stock heatsink isn't worth its weight in poop except for its fan which makes a good modded gpu heatsink fan.

edit oh and for HD video editing you might want to up the RAM to 16gb. For longer videos with lots going on, the more RAM the better. Also I haven't heard of that PSU brand and it might be safer to go with one of the more reputed brands (Antec, Seasonic, etc.)

atabbott

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the quick response, Shame about the phantom, great looking case. i’ve made she amendments to the list thanks to your suggestions, i think i might just go for the 16gb of ram, but would the best way to get that be 2 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb? Also are the stock fans in the FT02-BW strong enough for my needs?

I'll play devil's advocate, I absolutely love my Phantom. It has all these little details that are just done right, and I think the airflow would be fine for your build. I am adding more fans, and doing significant mods as well but so far its been a real joy to work with. And it certainly has a unique look that is the big draw. I could nit pick any of the cases mentioned above if I wanted. I most certainly would not call the Phantom garbage. It comes with a fan controller if noise becomes an issue, and has the ability to add a 140mm in front, and two more 200mm fans. Pull the side fans and add a 200mm, and it would be a pretty quiet rig I imagine.

BTW, Superflower makes some of the best Power supplies out there. They make my NZXT Hale 90 750W gold, and it is an amazing PSU. They also make Kingwin's Gold power supplies, they are an OEM PSU manufacturer. You can read more about them at http://www.jonnyguru.com/.

Here's an article: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDNews&op=Story&ndns_id=5764

1000W is overkill though, but it will certainly suit your needs.

I'd drop that PSU. An 850W will be fine, like this Corsair (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022).
I don't think 4x4 or 2x8 will really matter, but you might as well go 2x8 so that you can use it in a few years when 16 isn't enough any more.
^Agree on the heatsink. The Noctua if you really care about noise, the 212+ or maybe a Scythe Mugen 2 if that's not as much of a concern.

atabbott

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I know it might be horrible of me to ask, but you guys sure about the 850w PSU? Its just Nvidia don’t recommend anything less than a 900w power supply for their GTX 580s in SLI. But if you guys think its not necessery I’m happy to listen! ( I save some money! :) ) I just don’t want to be stuck with an inadequate power supply when you system is running at load.

I think iv’e decided to go with the phantom, it’s sexy as, and I’ve read some reviews and comparions and the air flow seems to be fine/good. i can always add more fans as needed (another reason i want a PSU that can potentially deal with the max number of fans possible in the case)

Oh and thanks for all the help and support! You have made my life a hell of a lot easier! :ange: