Question Suggestions on Security Software

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to re-evaluate my security set up as I've been having issues with my current antivirus software - it randomly stops protecting me.

My Current Software:
AV: Avira Pro
Firewall: Comodo Firewall 11
and Malwarebytes

I've been looking for a really good set up but I'm so far out of the computer field now, that I get confused.

Comodo Firewall is free, and seems to be doing well for me.
Malwarebytes - I have a lifetime license.
AV: Yearly cost, I'd like to reduce it but I want to make sure that I can schedule jobs, have it auto update, etc. I basically want to set it and forget it unless something pops up.

So, any suggestions? I'd like not to sped a lot, but I want those features as mentioned above for my AV.

Dark Lord of Tech

темный лорд технологий
Bitdefender Total Security and Zemana Anti-malware is all I use.

If you already have an active Malwarebytes Antimalware subscription enabled, I'd not really think of the PC as being some sort of 'malware-prone' accident just waiting to happen...(two active AV/AM solutions might even be the reason your other AV is being disabled)

On top of your existing Malwarebytes subscription, I'd think periodic Defender and/or free Zemana scan, etc., with periodic inspections of task manager, Freefixer, Autoruns, open connections in GLasswire, etc. should convince/reassure most that nothing has made it through...

I'd save your money....

USAFRet

Titan
I use 4 things:
  1. BitDefender Free
  2. MalwareBytes, free (scans done...whenever)
  3. A Linux VM, to check out any sketchy links before subjecting them to the main Windows systems
  4. Wet grey lump that lives between my ears
Total price, $0.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
If you already have an active Malwarebytes Antimalware subscription enabled, I'd not really think of the PC as being some sort of 'malware-prone' accident just waiting to happen...(two active AV/AM solutions might even be the reason your other AV is being disabled)

On top of your existing Malwarebytes subscription, I'd think periodic Defender and/or free Zemana scan, etc., with periodic inspections of task manager, Freefixer, Autoruns, open connections in GLasswire, etc. should convince/reassure most that nothing has made it through...

I'd save your money....
Hmmm, this brings up a memory where I stopped using MBAM cause it conflicted with Avira. So, I should just use MBAM as on demand and not active?
I wouldn't mind changing the AV cause it's expensive, I would like something cheaper.

How do I stop MBAM from auto-loading so I can use it on demand only? Now that I think about it, I think the issue did start when I re-installed MBAM.

aldan

Distinguished
Hi,

I'm looking to re-evaluate my security set up as I've been having issues with my current antivirus software - it randomly stops protecting me.

My Current Software:
AV: Avira Pro
Firewall: Comodo Firewall 11
and Malwarebytes

I've been looking for a really good set up but I'm so far out of the computer field now, that I get confused.

Comodo Firewall is free, and seems to be doing well for me.
Malwarebytes - I have a lifetime license.
AV: Yearly cost, I'd like to reduce it but I want to make sure that I can schedule jobs, have it auto update, etc. I basically want to set it and forget it unless something pops up.

So, any suggestions? I'd like not to sped a lot, but I want those features as mentioned above for my AV.
avast free,malwarebytes free.common sense.

ASK THE COMMUNITY