Chaqutic

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2016
My PC recently started going into a loop of restarting continuously at short intervals — it powers up and shuts down every 4 seconds, even before the fans can reach their maximum speed. A technician told me that the issue is either with the motherboard or the processor. It's been six years since I bought it, and the configuration is as follows:

• i7 6700k
  • Asus Strix 1070 8GB
  • 750W Corsair Bronze
  • 16 Gb DDR3 (2x8) Vengeance
  • ASUS Z170-PRO-GAMING Motherboard
  • I have a cooler that looks similar to this
  • Case - Antec GX1200
I am planning to upgrade to:
  • i5 13600k at ₹22,900 INR
  • ASUS Prime Z790-P at ₹26,000 INR or MSI PRO Z790-P at ₹22,000 INR
  • 32 GB (2x16) DDr5 6000 / 5200 at ₹7,350 INR
I’d like to know about the compatibility, if this is a suitable upgrade or if I should consider a different processor, RAM or motherboard. As far as I know, my existing cooler makes the 1st RAM slot unusable. My maximum budget is ₹50,000-55,000, and I plan to make the purchase in a few hours, so any quick input would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to be specific with the cooler's make and model since that might not be supported on your proposed LGA1700 platform/motherboard. That video doesn't state the model for the cooler apart from it being something from DeepCool. Is this your cooler, by any chance?

You should look at DDR5-6600MHz dual channel ram and that should give you an uplift in your platform performance. IMHO, you should avoid 13th and 14th Gen processors since they're having issues with them. You could look at the 12th Gen instead or an AM5 platform.

750W Corsair Bronze
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 750W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency of the unit. Might want to mention the model and it's age. Very likely you won't be able to recycle it for your upgrade path, meaning you'll need a new PSU.

Moved thread from Computer Peripherals section to Systems section.

Chaqutic

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2016
Thank you for moving the thread. I have the DeepCool NEPTWIN RGB cooler, and yes, it looks like the one you've shared. The SMPS is a Cooler Master B700 V2 700W 80 PLUS and is possibly over 5 years old. The problem is that my budget only accommodates the i5-13600K. Do you think it’s wise to choose a 12th-gen processor when the 15th-gen is about to release? If you have any alternative processor-motherboard combos, feel free to share it

All depends on what your primary use of the machine is. If you look at the early info that has come out on the 15th gen intel pretty much it is a small increase for productivity apps and a decrease in the amount of electricity use but at fairly large increase in price.

Won't know for sure for a couple weeks when they can release real reviews but it is a strong indication that this is a not going to be some spectacular must have thing.

If you are like most people who frequent this forum and games are your primary focus the video card is much more important for almost all games. The cpu tends to not be the thing holding performance back until you get into very high end video cards and most the time people with high end video cards are running at higher resolution like 4k so even then the video card tends to be the limiting factor on frame rates.

Hard to say what to do. It is unfortunate you can not wait say 3 to 6 months to see what these new intel and amd cpu can really do. The new x3d versions of the newest amd cpus are rumored to be released very soon.

But if you need to buy now and don't plan to spend say $1500 on a fancy video card any time soon I would look at AMD x3d based cpu. Even the older 5800x3d still exceeds many of 13th and 14th gen cpu for games especially if you compare based on price. Problem is the 5800x3d is getting older and they are harder to get so the pricing is not the best. The 7800x3d is more expensive mostly because of the extra costs of ddr5 and the motherboard.

I would buy what you can get at a price you feel meets your budget. Anything should be a increase over your current cpu. I would not expect much difference in gaming performance until you replace the video card. The video card you have though is good enough for most games at 1080.

Aug 29, 2024
My PC recently started going into a loop of restarting continuously at short intervals — it powers up and shuts down every 4 seconds, even before the fans can reach their maximum speed. A technician told me that the issue is either with the motherboard or the processor. It's been six years since I bought it, and the configuration is as follows:

• i7 6700k
  • Asus Strix 1070 8GB
  • 750W Corsair Bronze
  • 16 Gb DDR3 (2x8) Vengeance
  • ASUS Z170-PRO-GAMING Motherboard
  • I have a cooler that looks similar to this
  • Case - Antec GX1200
I am planning to upgrade to:
  • i5 13600k at ₹22,900 INR
  • ASUS Prime Z790-P at ₹26,000 INR or MSI PRO Z790-P at ₹22,000 INR
  • 32 GB (2x16) DDr5 6000 / 5200 at ₹7,350 INR
I’d like to know about the compatibility, if this is a suitable upgrade or if I should consider a different processor, RAM or motherboard. As far as I know, my existing cooler makes the 1st RAM slot unusable. My maximum budget is ₹50,000-55,000, and I plan to make the purchase in a few hours, so any quick input would be greatly appreciated.
Your planned upgrade looks solid and should be compatible. Here are some key points to consider:
Processor and Motherboard Compatibility:
• Both the i5-13600K and the ASUS Prime Z790-P or MSI PRO Z790-P are compatible with each otherhttps://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/asus-prime-z790-p-wifi-d4/cpuhttps://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/msi-pro-z790-p-ddr4/cpu. These motherboards support the LGA 1700 socket, which is required for the i5-13600K.
RAM Compatibility:
• The i5-13600K supports DDR5 RAM, and both the ASUS Prime Z790-P and MSI PRO Z790-P motherboards are compatible with DDR5 RAMhttps://www.xda-developers.com/best-ram-for-intel-core-i5-13600k/. However, note that while the i5-13600K officially supports up to 5600MHz, you can use higher-speed RAM like 6000MHz with XMP profileshttps://www.windowscentral.com/hardware/best-ram-for-intel-core-i5-13600k.
Cooler and RAM Slot Issue:
• If your current cooler blocks the first RAM slot, you might need to consider a low-profile cooler or a different cooler that provides better clearance. Alternatively, you can install the RAM in the remaining slots if the motherboard supports it.
Budget Considerations:
• Your total budget of ₹50,000-55,000 INR should cover the costs of the i5-13600K, the motherboard, and the RAM. Make sure to also account for any additional costs like a new cooler if needed.

Given your current situation with the PC restarting, it's likely a hardware issue, and upgrading to a new motherboard and processor should resolve it. Just ensure that your power supply is still in good condition, as it's crucial for the stability of your new components.

Chaqutic

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2016
I have a 144Hz 2k Monitor and I mostly play deadlock/ valorant or Dota 2. Considering this and the remaining pointers, is it wise to go with i7 12700k, Asus Motherboard Z790- P wifi and 32 gb G Skill Ripjaws 6000 (2x16gb) with the existing cooler and smps?
Personally, I am not a big fan of AMD unless someone can convince me with a processor Mobo combo that is way better than what I have decided right now. My total is at 53,000 INR for the RAM, Processor and MoBo.