[SOLVED] Suggestions to upgrade my current PC on a budget.

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Yeah I know, there's like a billion threads about this in the forum, but no one has the same system or needs, so here's my case. By the way sorry for my broken english, I'm from México.
  1. I will use this PC mainly for 3D rendering and modeling in Blender, so Radeon GPUs are out of the question, Blender has always been Nvidia friendly, it supports Radeon graphics but I won't take any chances.
  2. I'm a console gaming peasant, but I like running games on my PC from time to time. I'm into AAA games, no Fortnite, no overwatch, PUBG or any of that.
This is my current potato:
CPU - AMD FX-6100 6 core 3.3GHz
MB - ASUS M5A 78L-M LX
RAM: Two 4GB modules made by Kingston. I don't know the specs but I bet they are cheap, they were bought around 2012.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 ti 2GB
PSU: Corsair CX500
HDD: 500GB

I wan't to upgrade that PC without breaking the bank. I was thinking about something more discrete, just a little update to keep my head above the water. I did some research and I think I should start with the Mother Board and the CPU, this is the build I have in mind right now.

Possible Build:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G?
MB - Gigabyte B360 Aorus Gaming 3? / Maybe an Asus Prime A320m-k?

RAM: Keep them?, or replace them with a newer 8GB single module?
GPU: I'll Keep it for now - I want to buy a GTX 1060 6GB at a minimum.
PSU: The CX500 stands for 500w but in reality is just 450w, is that true?. If I'm not mistaken I can get away with 450w/500w for now but once I buy the GTX 1060 I will have to upgrade the PSU too, right?.
HDD: I'll Keep it. I'm an obsessive compulsive person, nothing is sacred on my hard drive. I bought this computer in 2012 I've never used more than 50% of it. I always keep an eye on everything I do, if my HDD dies tomorrow, meh!.

Any suggestions?, something I'm missing?. I have enough money to buy the GTX 1060 6gb but I noticed that for the same amount I can upgrade my CPU, RAM and MB, so that makes more sense for me and buy the GTX 1060 and a new PSU next year or by the end of this year. Thanks.

Solution
if your plan is to wait until later in the year to buy a new PSU and graphics card then id say that your proposed build should suffice (depeding on your budged)
I would suggest on upgrading your ram tho,
if you want to do 3D rendering more ram will always be a good thing, always
saying that Ram isn't the most outrageously expensive component as of lately so i would even look and see if you could fit 16Gb into your budget.
If you can that would be great, i would suggest getting 2 8Gb sticks of it rather then 4 4GB as it allows for easy upgrades if you ever want to go bigger in the future.
if you cant find a way to afford 16Gb and or dont want to upgrade further in the future i would say that two sticks of 4 would work better for you then...

D-Finn

Prominent
Jul 23, 2017
if your plan is to wait until later in the year to buy a new PSU and graphics card then id say that your proposed build should suffice (depeding on your budged)
I would suggest on upgrading your ram tho,
if you want to do 3D rendering more ram will always be a good thing, always
saying that Ram isn't the most outrageously expensive component as of lately so i would even look and see if you could fit 16Gb into your budget.
If you can that would be great, i would suggest getting 2 8Gb sticks of it rather then 4 4GB as it allows for easy upgrades if you ever want to go bigger in the future.
if you cant find a way to afford 16Gb and or dont want to upgrade further in the future i would say that two sticks of 4 would work better for you then just the one of 8Gb, but having the one stick of 8gb does open that window if you do want to upgrade still

Solution