Question Super Cheap Second Hand 9900k

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hey guys, I was just snooping around my local second hand website, and found a ludicrously cheap i9-9900k at about 1/3 the price of a brand new one.

The seller had booting issues and claimed that it was a defect chip, and stating he isn't tech savvy, maybe someone else might be able to fix it. You know how some people just FOLD at the slightest computer problem.

This deal is too good to pass on, but my skepticism is also playing the good ol' "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I traced his picture to be a www.ebayimg.com link, but picture searching it in google yielded no results.
Some evidence: He has been a long time member, the i9-9900k has only been up 9-10 hours, he doesn't have other items for sale, this website doesn't have reviews from other buyers, the person is validated with a security check that is tied to your social security number, and I have his supposed address.

I was wondering what you guys think, and also, if I do decide to buy it and it turns out it is defect, is it possible to get a new one through Intel's RMA service or something (If i have the receipt from the original owner?)

Last edited:

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I asked him why he hasn't returned it himself, because to me that is weird.
I am looking forward for an explanation, but I feel like this chip is gone in the morning.

If you are not the original purchaser, with the original purchase information and invoice, all in your name, Intel will absolutely give you the finger.

If I can get his receipt or copy of his purchase mail or something, would you recon it might be possible?

You are asking to buy someone else's problems.

But you probably know how some people just FOLD at the slightest computer problem. They'd rather spend money than time.

Missing out on this huge cheap upgrade as a student would surely suck.

Unlikely. If he thought Intel wasn't going to tell him that it was destroyed due to user negligence or abuse, or barring those, if HE actually had the original purchasing information if it WAS just faulty (An incredibly unlikely possibility since CPUs almost never just "fail" without some form of user negligence), then he would have filed an RMA with Intel himself. Especially on a CPU that expensive. Somebody borked that chip up and it's done, and now they want to sell it for whatever they can get because they KNOW that somebody out there will believe they can do something with it when the reality is it is 99% likely the CPU is beyond salvage with only a 1% or less possibility that it's something else like a faulty motherboard.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Unlikely. If he thought Intel wasn't going to tell him that it was destroyed due to user negligence or abuse, or barring those, if HE actually had the original purchasing information if it WAS just faulty (An incredibly unlikely possibility since CPUs almost never just "fail" without some form of user negligence), then he would have filed an RMA with Intel himself. Especially on a CPU that expensive. Somebody borked that chip up and it's done, and now they want to sell it for whatever they can get because they KNOW that somebody out there will believe they can do something with it when the reality is it is 99% likely the CPU is beyond salvage with only a 1% or less possibility that it's something else like a faulty motherboard.

I really appreciate your feedback, and I do consider it, but as I stated before, you probably know how some people just FOLD at the slightest computer problem. They'd rather spend money than time.

Is there any way to protect myself from getting scammed (asked about the website's policy), as in maybe asking him some cheeky questions or something like that? Would make my month to get a 9900k for 220-ish bucks.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
I really appreciate your feedback, and I do consider it, but as I stated before, you probably know how some people just FOLD at the slightest computer problem. They'd rather spend money than time.

Is there any way to protect myself from getting scammed (asked about the website's policy), as in maybe asking him some cheeky questions or something like that? Would make my month to get a 9900k for 220-ish bucks.

Simply not worth the risk, as everyone else said, if he could have returned it with an rma he would have, its sus and is just trying to grab some money back for what is essentially trash, don't pay for his problems, risk is far greater than the reward in this case, best case scenario you get a 9900k (super unlikely <1%), every other case is a lose.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
If he is scamming, why would he even bother stating that it is faulty in the first place?

A "little" stretch of an idea here, I'll ask him to send it to me and let me see if i can get it working before I pay, in that way I got nothing to lose, and if he disagrees, then I think I've been convinced to stay away.

Optimistic today. Any ideas welcome :)

If this works, I'll donate my current cpu to my boy JoeSEPH!

Last edited:
People who are likely to "fold" at the first sign of a problem are typically NOT the same people who buy 500 dollar processors. But it's your money, so do what makes you feel good I guess. I'm not sure really why you even bothered to ask the question if you already had your mind made up unless it was simply to find somebody who would tell you that yes, it's a good idea. Clearly, that is not the general consensus and to be honest I think it's a foolish waste of money but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. I hope you do. I just don't THINK it will turn out that way.

Reactions: dg27

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
People who are likely to "fold" at the first sign of a problem are typically NOT the same people who buy 500 dollar processors. But it's your money, so do what makes you feel good I guess. I'm not sure really why you even bothered to ask the question if you already had your mind made up unless it was simply to find somebody who would tell you that yes, it's a good idea. Clearly, that is not the general consensus and to be honest I think it's a foolish waste of money but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. I hope you do. I just don't THINK it will turn out that way.

I'm trying to see it from many perspectives, if he is truthful, if he is a scammer. My mind isn't made up, but I was kinda feeling that you might think I just wanted people to convince me to buy it and say it was a good idea, but luckily that is that is not the case, because you guys are honest and bring your set of fresh eyes on my case. I'm just trying to get good ideas, perspectives and you guys experiences with this kind of situation.

Right now, if he is a scammer, I'm trying to get him to screw up and make it painfully obvious.

If it doesn't go down the way I want, I'll bail. Appreciate everyone's input.

Have to agree more here.
If it really were faulty he would known nobody would pay that much, so hes trying to lure in buyers saying "oh well it might be broken how would I know?" and charging more.
Ideally, it really is a broken processor, and the buyer bought it. For no gain.
Why wont he RMA? A better question.
It also could be another scammer using the IHS off a 9900k and placing it on an older processor, selling the old processor to you.

I can’t see how you can’t protect yourself against getting scammed as this is being sold as faulty/defective so if it is faulty/defective you are getting what you paid for. What you are actually asking is can we see a way to protect against a gamble you want to take.

USAFRet

Titan
It's a known broken, non-fixable, non-refundable part.

You're counting on him being clueless enough to actually have a working part, but not know what to do with it.
He is counting on your greediness.

If its actually broken, why didn't he RMA from Intel?
There's a reason for that. And whatever that reason is...it's the same one that will prevent you from an RMA.

Aug 29, 2019
Mostly repeating what other people have replied already, but it sounds way too risky to me. Why would someone buy such an expensive processor and not get it replaced/repaired by Intel if it was possible? This leads me to believe he has damaged it somehow and is no longer covered by the warranty, or something else that can not be good for you...
As a student myself, I would probably also be tempted, but you need to ask yourself are you willing to risk throwing money down the drain if, as I think is most likely, it is beyond repair.
If you can get him to send it to you to check functionality and if it is legitimately an i9, then that is about the only for of security you can get in this situation.
Good luck and I hope it works out in your favour!

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Just woke up, the chip is gone and as far as i know, he didn't reply to my messages.

Probably dodged a bullet here, we will never know.

Turned out in the email i sent to the website inquiring about the safety policies of their website, they recommended Paypal, because they got costumer protection. If I got "bamboozled", Paypal of been able to help (I don't have any experience on this part, so I don't know how hard it would of been to of gotten the money back through Paypal if i got "tricked")

But as sizzling said, he did put it up as broken, maybe a loophole on his part. I don't know if it would of been possible to get refund through Paypal, as they could easely just say that I got what I paid for.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited: