Super-Cooled Quantum Computing Is Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wingless[/nom]Intel will buy them in after they make all that profit from Nehalem and release quantum computers for commercial use as soon as they figure out how to make a "safe", commercially viable, 3 Kelvin refrigeration units. Coolermaster will then release a 2 Kelvin unit for overclockers 3 months later...Unfortunately it will NOT be able to play Crysis at 60FPS.[/citation]
Hahahahaha.
Technically,you can't see faster than 32 fps,but due to bad coding usually,it can drop below that or possible freeze up...32fps should be the minimum for games,but I guess people are just that bad at reality.

Balshoy

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Come on, have a little perspective, the very idea of a computer was born out of the need to crack the "enigma" code, this is the same thing... of course it will first be used in science but don't tell me you people are so blind not to see the obvious fact that it will trickle down to playing crysis... probably crysis 2 or something :p, but the fact remains, this technology will reach mortal realms soon... and I say soon because we already know what a faster computer can do... the fact that we are writing these comments is proof that there is a large group of people who are really anxious to take advantage of this new technology.

G

Umm.. I call BS. I think people like to say "quantum computing". It's all a load of crap. The first time someone shows a "quantum computer" doing something better or faster than a traditional chip, I'll take notice. Until then, it's a bunch of sci-fi make believe smoke and mirrors.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I'm really surprised noone ever mentions the AI implications of this type of technology. All of the functions that a quantum computer is most effective at performing, most specifically the EXTREME parallelism, are applicable in that field. With this type of computer we may finally be able to make a machine that is actually intelligent, is able to learn, and then turn on it's masters.

I can't wait for my nuclear annihilation.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
juju, you obviously haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. Several quantum computers have already been built and test problems that have been run on them work. Practical problems cannot be solved yet because a higher number of qubits is required.

The hype about quantum computing is that people equate their experience with standard computers to quantum computers and expect the quantum computers to somehow dramatically increase performance over standard comptuers for the same tasks (i.e. will the quantum computer play Crysis faster ... OMG, get real).

The truth is that quantum computers are dramatically faster for a very narrow range of very specific scientific problems that standard computers are not very good at. Specific examples are computational factoring (which can break some public/private cryptographic systems like RSA), brute-force searches (like finding a DES or AES key), etc. The quantum computer's performance at these tasks is exponentially faster than a standard computer (that means that an encrypted file that would take thousands of years to break on a standard computer can likely be broken in seconds on a quantum computer).

juju ... people like you who "call BS" on anything they don't understand represent a core fundamental problem with this world. Do yourself and everyone else a favor ... stop posting in threads that you have no business posting in, get off your derriere, and go read and learn something. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing

G

Think of quantum computers like trying to guess a password. You try one, then the next and so on till you find the right one. Well the quantom computer can try them at all the same time, and as such its much faster. It doesnt break the laws of physics (because its doing what you could already do), but it just does it at an insane speed. The reason is that each qbit is 1, 0 (like a normal computer), or 1 and 0 so a 1qbuit qc has 3 states rather then 2. for 2 qbuits its 11,10,01,00,1and0 0,0 0and1,1and0 1,1 1and0,1and0 1and0 leading to 9 states rather then 4, and it continues to grow exponentially. So idealy a 128qbit quantom computer could try every possible key in a AES encryption at the same time. Thereby eventualy (meaning 30+ years probably) making all standard encryption useless, although some people claim they will be able to use qc to do encryption then so that other qc cant break it.

G

Think of quantum computers like trying to guess a password. You try one, then the next and so on till you find the right one. Well the quantom computer can try them at all the same time, and as such its much faster. It doesnt break the laws of physics (because its doing what you could already do), but it just does it at an insane speed. The reason is that each qbit is 1, 0 (like a normal computer), or 1 and 0 so a 1qbuit qc has 3 states rather then 2. for 2 qbuits its 11,10,01,00,1and0 0,0 0and1,1and0 1,1 1and0,1and0 1and0 leading to 9 states rather then 4, and it continues to grow exponentially. So idealy a 128qbit quantom computer could try every possible key in a AES encryption at the same time. Thereby eventualy (meaning 30+ years probably) making all standard encryption useless, although some people claim they will be able to use qc to do encryption then so that other qc cant break it.

G

well it's progress at least, also i'm assuming something like this cost maybe millions of dollars to research so even if it could play crysis i doubt u would ever c a benchmark of it doing so

just my .2 cent

oscarsdg1

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
question, Would it be possible to say, use multiple quantum cores/ parallel quantum processors to increase the qbit count and work in conjunction with each other instead of having to increase the qbit count on 1 processor? say, use two 28 qbit cores instead of one 56 qbit core to increase qbit count. Could that increase the computational effectiveness, or does that just require technology we haven't got yet?

coaguloso

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
as said earlier in a post i guess that this technology could do some incredible calculations in physics, and there is where it can change evryhitng, for example, the calculations of global illumination could be done by one quantum machine, almost in realtime, and that gives us a new way of creating photorealistic content, like games, cgi, etc. and can perform graphics solutions in a different way, but for example, it could run crysis with a modified engine, where everything is rendered and calculated acording to consecutive calculations, like a raytracer. i could give us an amazing quality in terms of reality simulation, also in cgi we could see movies done and rendered in hours or in real time, imagine pixar productions wher most of the time in production is taken by teh design and directing the movie, not rendering, it could help us also controlling and calculating building structures, and many of the hard core calculations of our time, and for the simple tasks we mights still use an standard computer, therefore probably we should see something like an hybrid computer with quantum physics and a sylicon one.
i hope that we can see this technology soon, because i think that it might take some time to develop.

G

Oh, I read all about it. It's all a bunch of hypothetical mumbo jumbo. It "could" do this, it "is theorized" to do that. In the end, I'd rate it somewhere between cold fusion and "magic wormholes". I tell you what, we'll come back here in 10 years and see if anything's come of it. When it hasn't, we'll know I'm right.

Beastgis

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Wouldn't it be nice if google actually could find pages you wanted! You could get on the microphone and sing part of a song you want to find on the net, or send a picture and get matching results based off the picture. Sounds good to me, sooner the better!

johnnyxp64

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
ληδα Ελλαδα Πισω απο ολα τα μεγαλα μυαλα μια ζωη πρωτη!!!

"Leda" Hellas is behind every great mind, always 1st!

just think of that every planet in our solar system has a Greek Mytholy name, hwy really we knew the stars arround us thousend years before the teleskop was inveted???

Hellas for ever.-

G

There are a lot of questions about what D-Wave is really doing. When the technology is questioned in the MIT Tech Journal - which viewed D-Waves past claims with skepticism, you need to be careful about cutting/pasting company claims. There has been little published (I'm talking technical publications) - and when questions on some specifics D-Wave has been quite evasive.

The MIT tech journal, understanding the proprietary nature of the work, asked D-Wave to solve a specific problem which only a quantum computer could do and there was no response. Until D-Wave starts publishing real information on this and they show some meaningful demos, claims like these smack of a venture capital fund raising effort more than anything else.

'And he?s confident there?s enough demand that we?ll see a usable quantum computer within years,'

Are you kidding me!?!? Define usable.

G

A random thought: an effective way to commercially apply the technology would be to rig major companies within a defined urban area to it, in a city-central locale.

In theory you would be charged on the processing used (# of accesses etc) and a flat fee covering it's operational and maintenance costs.

Exorbenant fees aside, for large companies desiring to test business models in real time on their global scale, or surface mapping for given real-life substances (testing the purity of a diamond, I assume) is where this device could truly shine. The costs ensued by those seeking its services wouldn't be any greater a factor than the massive and wasteful overhead they already suffer. It's about cutting out the middle-man, really.

A single processing unit would be all that's required, and the commercial setting would naturally give more companies and universities incentive to pursue the technology.

This type of machine could not in a practical sense exist within the home. The EM waves given off by your alarm clock would destroy your calculations.

G

@dragunover:
even if your eyes did work in "frames" (they don't)... humans can perceive changes well over 100FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.