Super Flower Reveals Its First Titanium Line, Plus A Digital PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Titanium down to 450W, maybe even smaller, for the real mainstream market.

There is a lack of good quality affordable options sub-450W. The ones with good quality caps typically lack other features like modularity or even sleeved cables. I could settle with bronze at 300W but I'll be damned if I put some cheapo caps in my rig.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Well, there's nothing wrong with buying a 750W PSU for a computer that only needs 450W, aside from the possible extra cost. But consider that the premium of buying a quality product. Plus, a lot of PSUs have a silent, no-fan mode when below a certain threshold, so if you buy a much too powerful PSU for your system, odds are, the fan would never even switch on and you'd have a totally silent, well-built PSU that will last you for ages because it never gets stressed.

Yeah but I have PCs that only need like 150W like my i3-GTX 750 Ti rig, so it's like overkill the overkill.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Yeah but I have PCs that only need like 150W like my i3-GTX 750 Ti rig, so it's like overkill the overkill.

Plus efficiency drops as well in that situation; although the only effect is a very slightly increased power bill (like in pennies)... lol

TriBeard

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Plus efficiency drops as well in that situation; although the only effect is a very slightly increased power bill (like in pennies)... lol

That's one thing I'll never understand. People the are like, my computer uses 350w, so I'm going to get a 400w PSU that's super efficient (and expensive). I'd rather buy a good 600+ watt unit and have some room to grow. Screw a slight loss of efficiency.

skipperkins

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
You might like this one; ribbons rather than sleeves, but still looks decent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151143
I'd like to see Titanium down to 450W, maybe even smaller, for the real mainstream market.

There is a lack of good quality affordable options sub-450W. The ones with good quality caps typically lack other features like modularity or even sleeved cables. I could settle with bronze at 300W but I'll be damned if I put some cheapo caps in my rig.

Enermax makes some really high-end fanless PSUs around 450W, but they cost as much as a nice 650W. In general, the high-end 450W Seasonic platinum or Enermax platinum modular power supplies end up costing so much you are better off just looking for a deal on a larger one.

Exactly. Right now my baseline is the EVGA B2 750W. I just can't justify anything else since this is a modular and sleeved Golden Green for $50 AR. It's almost always on discount for that much in the USA.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
"...with capacities ranging from 550 W to 1600 W, covering all market segments."

Except SFF PCs and any budget-range (or average) desktop that couldn't possibly peak anywhere near 500W. You know the kind... sans discreet GPU.

Does anyone know of a PSU OEM that's working to create Titanium-rated 300-450W ATX or SFF units? The average desktop PC doesn't need more than that, and businesses use a LOT of average desktop PCs. Titanium-grade PSUs for such PCs could save businesses a lot of money over time after their next upgrade roll-out.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Does anyone know of a PSU OEM that's working to create Titanium-rated 300-450W ATX or SFF units? The average desktop PC doesn't need more than that, and businesses use a LOT of average desktop PCs. Titanium-grade PSUs for such PCs could save businesses a lot of money over time after their next upgrade roll-out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fsp-backup-power-psu,29254.html

Read the last paragraph. 400 watt high-quality FSP unit. It's OEM only but the businesses you were referring to are going to get OEM prebuilts anyway. For any desktop DIYers there are plenty of options above that and a little overkill is fine - room to grow.

If you really don't use much power at all, get a smaller case and a smaller PSU and don't worry about the ratings that much. If you're using a smaller PSU and are running Silver or better you're fine. Keep in mind even if you're obsessed with efficiency - sometimes just using a correctly-sized PSU provides as much if not more overall efficiency than running a higher-power "higher-efficiency" unit outside of its optimal range.

I understand the point about leaving room (i.e. extra wattage) for growth; 5-8 years ago that was certainly true. Now though, succeeding generations are using less power, not more, and that even seems to be a [welcome] focus of hardware vendors. A 450W PSU can run systems whose capabilities would have required 650W (or more) back then.
Damric, where are you seeing that price? It looks like $75 after MIR at Newegg.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
50plus is getting ridiculous. They keep making up very slightly better standards that make basically no difference. They're stretching for names too, what's the next one? 50plus Plutonium?

Status
Not open for further replies.