Super laggy in every game (and drop in fps), happens sometimes and doesn't at other times

Apr 2, 2018
When i start up a game, it just lags extremely bad for the duration of when i quit but only when moving my character the lag happens, other times when i start up the game and play it is perfectly smooth with little to no lag. It is not my specs i think because I've ran the same game perfectly smooth but it just acts up at times. Sometimes restarting my computer fixes it, sometimes not. I think my 100% disk usage has something to do with it. When i quit the game, i notice i can't click anything such as chrome because it is so slow and laggy, when i manage to open task manager after a couple of minutes, my disk usage is at 100% then drops immediately once task manager finally loads open. No other forums helped. Help me please.

Solution
Another idea you could try is re-installing your HDD drivers. I had a problem with a brand new WD Black where the drivers were corrupted at some point and the drive wouldn't transfer at their correct speeds. This worked for me:
- Make sure nothing is running except for Windows (disrupts HDD access so not sure how most programs like it)
- Open "Device Manager"
- Click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" (or something similar), right click on the SATA controller and uninstall the driver
- Click "Disk Drives", right click on your HDD/s and uninstall the driver.
- Turn off system and plug the HDD into another SATA port (if possible, doesn't matter if it's SATA 2/3)
- Turn on system and allow it to automatically re-install the drivers. Check that it...

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
It is possible that your HDD (I presume that's what you have) is on its way out. Try running a HDD diagnostic tool to check:
- For WD HDD's (https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3)
- For Seagate HDD's (https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/)

Otherwise, check Resource Monitor and take note of what is using the most HDD bandwidth (as well as the rough usage eg 5MB/s). Also, what are your full specs? Especially RAM amount.

Apr 2, 2018

I ran it, nothing

Apr 2, 2018

800gb

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Another idea you could try is re-installing your HDD drivers. I had a problem with a brand new WD Black where the drivers were corrupted at some point and the drive wouldn't transfer at their correct speeds. This worked for me:
- Make sure nothing is running except for Windows (disrupts HDD access so not sure how most programs like it)
- Open "Device Manager"
- Click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" (or something similar), right click on the SATA controller and uninstall the driver
- Click "Disk Drives", right click on your HDD/s and uninstall the driver.
- Turn off system and plug the HDD into another SATA port (if possible, doesn't matter if it's SATA 2/3)
- Turn on system and allow it to automatically re-install the drivers. Check that it does this in Device Manager by going to each of the devices that you uninstalled the drivers for and go properties. It should say device is working properly.
- Restart system again

This fixed my issue which sounds very similar to yours. I think I caused this when I was transferring games from my primary to secondary HDD but that's a guess. If this doesn't solve your solution, the only options left are faulty hardware or a malicious program running in the background. When you open Task Manager, what programs are using the most HDD resources and what bandwidth does it say they are using (MB/s)?

Solution