Super Talent Project X DDR4-3733 16GB Memory Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Interesting they didn't do much on the aesthetics in terms of Heatsink, colour, LEDs, etc. Since they are targeting the enthusiast market i would expect a flashy design and aesthetics like the Trident Z, Corsair Dominators, etc.

*Edit* ^ Guy above is a perfect example.

I've not been too happy with the quality since they moved most of the manufacturing out of the US to China. They cut the warranty on their RAM from Lifetime to 5 years so they must not trust it either.

So to sum up good kit with just okay OCing, and very bland looks for an over priced kit.

Antonio_34

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
It's 3733 pretty well OC enough when CPU's don't officially support that speed anyways? Will this work with Ryzen or is that a mother board limitation?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It won't run at that speed on Ryzen. It still boots at DDR4-2133 CAS 15 without using the XMP program though, so you're welcome to use it in an attempt to overclock the processor's memory controller.

hannibal

Distinguished
All these Superfast memories Are quite meh with Intel board because They give only very Little more speed, but all of these would be super interesting with AMD Ryzen setup that seems to love really high speed memory.
Hopefully we see definitely AMD memory speed test in some point. Maybe not yet, because mother board bioses ere still very young, but maybe during the summer?
I really would like to know the sweet spot for memory to Ryzen. For Intel, the sweet spot is the cheapest and slowist you can get...

cordes85

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I just like the look of G.skill Trident Z especially the 4x16gb RGB versions, it might only be 3600, but what the hell you need more for?

aylafruta

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I wonder what's the real benefit on a non OC system running e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud graphic applications?

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
There needs to be a breakdown of MHz vs CL, again... again :-/

Just seems like everyone always forgets of the relationship between MHz and CL. For example, 2133MHz CL9 ~/= 2400MHz CL10 ~/= 2600MHz CL11 in certain applications and MHz can win over CL in others. Point is, you may NOT see any benefits from getting that nice n fancy 3733 CL17 and can possible see a regression. There is a difference/balance between bandwidth (MHz) and speed (CL) and they do affect each other of course. Intel having all their cores connect on chip don't see a large benefit from very fast ram, but AMD does have a history of being more ram speed sensitive including Ryzen with the Infinity Fabric of course directly utilizing system RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We keep going over this, DDR4-3200 C16 has the same real-time latency as DDR4-2400 C12. This doesn't get much plainer.
If you want to get complicated, DDR4-3733 C17 is quicker than DDR4-2400 C11.

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Ho-hum, yet ANOTHER Samsung B-die based kit. Honestly the only things that differentiate all such modules from any of the RAM vendors is IC binning and PCB quality.

Antonio_34

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

How can you tell it's a Samsung B-die?

I read that memory with e Samsung B-die is single rack and all timings are the same. like 16-16-16-16 where as Super Talent is DDR4-3733 MHz 17-19-19-39 1.35V

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

B-die is the only IC currently in production that can be used to build 8GB modules that can run faster than 3466.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
How does that even make sense when so many Ryzen users have difficulty reaching DDR4-3200?

hannibal

Distinguished
I think that Nintendork means that if you test Intel CPU using different speed memories, the difference in total speed is almost null (a sign of very good cache system). The Ryzen seems to handle between cores transfers based on memory speed... So there is quite huge differences in total speed based on how fast memory you use.
The problem is as you said that at this moment the bioses with Ryzen motherboards are so young that not many of those can handle high speed memories, but those who does, are much faster with faster memory.
So both are right from one point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.