Super Tiny Computer Puts Android on Your TV, Laptop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcxperp

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Tablets that do the same thing cost $100. Why pay more for less?[/citation]

You're crazy if you think you can get a tablet with a dual-core 1.2 GHz CPU and a quad-core Mali 400 GPU for $100. That is an SoC that is currently powering some of the carriers flagship products. Not to mention, the possibility of access to the Android Market and its thousands of useful apps and games, all while connected to anything you can find with a screen, makes this a fantastic piece of tech. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

pcxperp

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]If you're using it on a laptop with OS installed already, then I fail to see the point.[/citation]

One point could be to use it as a sandbox, like a virtualized OS. Then you could use the web browser without fear of infection to the host machine.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]I'm not disagreeing exactly-- just saying that it's sounds like you'd be suprised how capable old CPUs are as far as basic computing goes.[/citation]

No sir, I wouldn't. I have been using PCs since the Texas Instrument green screen. I have computers still around which date back to the early 80s.

But would I want any of them in my TV? No. Especially not when I could just buy one that plugs into my TV. And this becomes even more important as more and more remote controls are tied into the TV.

Try to get a Iphone4S to communicate with a cell phone built 5 years ago.....

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]the issue is still the price, for $200 it is way overpriced.[/citation]

Its not overpriced, due to supply and demand. The product is what it is. If you want to be an early adapter of this type of product then buy it for $200, which is probably as low as this company can go on price and still stay in business.

In a year or two Amazon will produce its own version of this product and it will be $50-100 bucks for the basic model (with upgrades available). But right now it is being produced a small manufacturer who does not have the luxury of large scale component purchase and manufacturing. And as such it costs more.

Saying that it is too expensive, is like saying that a pair of custom shoes costs too much. And then to prove your point, you show the cost of the leather that went into the produce.

Either you buy this sort of product or you don't. In a few months the company will likely be bought by a major manufacturer and costs will drop. So you can save money if you wait, but you won't have it today.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]. i had a p4 3.0 or 3.2 ht before the motherboard died and i moved to a phenom 955. the p4 could not handle the internet as it is today, and would consistently hit 100% usage if even 1 flash thing was used. "In my experience, a fresh install of the OS [and/or very cheap RAM upgrade] usually makes a huge difference on "older" sluggish computers.[/citation]

So let's sum your argument up.

You've been going on for a number of posts that putting a computer inside a TV is at the very minimum "ok" or perhaps even desirable, because you have an old computer and while it does not work well, it still works, and you admit that it may have difficulty or perhaps even a total inability to communicate with a modern device without modification (which would be impossible if it were inside your tv).

And then to prove your knowledge of old computers, you talk about a phenom from 4-5 years ago, as opposed to a Pentium from 10 years ago (which is well within the potential lifetime of a tv).

Ok I gotcha.

Now my argument, it would be a lot better to just have a computer you plug in to the TV, like this device, so that every few years you could upgrade. Now being a collector of old computers as you seem to be, you could still keep your old USB computers nothing would be stopping you. But you would have the option of upgrading to a new USB computer for your TV.

Now that's my argument.

And I'm just going to say that I win, because what you are saying doesn't make any sense.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I can see a boatload of practical uses for this. From web/app developer, testing to traveling sales types.
$200 mau sound steep but we all know what happens to "street prices". So I'd not worry too much about hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS