Super Tiny Computer Puts Android on Your TV, Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If you can use it to read email, use a word processing program, update Facebook, and play Angry Birds it's good enough for 90% of home computer users. No it cannot play Crysis 1 or 2.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I love my android tablet the idea that i could carry one around in some thing the size as a usb and attach it to any thing that has a HDMI is a big plus for me. Many people wont agree but in my opinion this is a SUPER media PC get netflex , facebook and a web browsing app and you basically have every thing most people build a media pc for any way. This is in most cases gonna be cheaper , take up less space and probably use less power. I think I'm going to get flack for this but I feel for 95% of people this is basically the same as a 400-500 desktop they would get at best buy * from there perspective* . I plan to buy at least 3-4 , 1 one for my den's flat screen and a couple as gifts for my less tech savvy family members when I tell them they can check there email , face book status and watch some movies with out a ton of cables or a big box they may explode from excitement.

G

Great idea, but the $200 price point may be a non-starter. An entry-level Roku for $50 gives you Netflix and other Internet channels; the top-end Roku gets you Angry Birds for less than $200. The killer 'app' for the FXI device might be its the web browser, but an Asus Revo can be had off eBay for less than $200 (and comes with a much larger storage device) and its browser would be probably be more secure (easier to update). Of course, the Revo (or any other media PC) would consume more power than this ARM-based device.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Quite nice. Something else occurs to me as well:

Can this lead to upgradeable smartphones???

Upgradeable and interchangeable smartphone modules FTW! Added bonus: pull it out and stick it into any TV or display.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]Quite nice. Something else occurs to me as well:Can this lead to upgradeable smartphones???Upgradeable and interchangeable smartphone modules FTW! Added bonus: pull it out and stick it into any TV or display.[/citation]

Use a USB adapter : )

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]Use a USB adapter : )[/citation]

Sure, why not, but that's what we already do. My vision does not require an adapter, though, especially that makers do not include anything extra, not even with flagship models... Not to mention that it's way cooler ;)

I mean, sure, my phone has Kies Air and Allshare, and they work fine over wifi, but these features anre by no means common, or prevalent.

Now that's a something to go gaga about. Imagine connecting them into one another or like on a USB hub , computing power might be close to making the most energy efficient super computer that would fit into a garage instead of a huge building with 5 MW of power consumption... eh?

G

I don't really have a clue why people are amazed by this ;-)
It's an Adroid device without display, other than being small there is nothing revolutionary about it from the technology point of view.

For a product it could be a brilliant idea, and I'm sure there will be enough people who would love to have a super small android stick to plug into their TV. But the details on this is not even there, HDMI sure, but how about input devices? How do you plan to control that using your TV? ;-)

Of-course the idea of using the host's peripherals work when you stick this to a laptop, this is again nothing new though.

It's just another "set-up" box

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]iwaki[/nom]I don't really have a clue why people are amazed by this ;-)It's an Adroid device without display, other than being small there is nothing revolutionary about it from the technology point of view. For a product it could be a brilliant idea, and I'm sure there will be enough people who would love to have a super small android stick to plug into their TV. But the details on this is not even there, HDMI sure, but how about input devices? How do you plan to control that using your TV? ;-) Of-course the idea of using the host's peripherals work when you stick this to a laptop, this is again nothing new though.It's just another "set-up" box[/citation]
Input comes from Bluetooth devices

that being said, is this a android, that i can plug into my computer, and run apps off of it that are on android market? because if it is, i have a use for it.

is hdmi powered? how would it get power in hdmi?

will this stream 1080p off netflix? does it see the display resolution and we get a 1080p version or will it be its own resolution reguardless?

can this see my network and stream video from my pc to the tv?

these are the questions we should be asking.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Third time I am hearing these USB stick PCs. First this lad with charity idea; later NVidia with their plans, now this. Great and all but when are we going to have it? Next year? Next year we might already have TVs with Google OS (check Sony Bravia and Google TV).
I want it now, I want it functional and reliable. Next year is no good. It will be old news.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Third time I am hearing these USB stick PCs. First this lad with charity idea; later NVidia with their plans, now this. Great and all but when are we going to have it? Next year? Next year we might already have TVs with Google OS (check Sony Bravia and Google TV).I want it now, I want it functional and reliable. Next year is no good. It will be old news.[/citation]

requireing the purchase of a new tv, a 200$ purchase, over a 600$+ new tv you dont need... not includeing if its marked up just because it has a buzz word like google tv in it.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]requireing the purchase of a new tv, a 200$ purchase, over a 600$+ new tv you dont need... not includeing if its marked up just because it has a buzz word like google tv in it.[/citation]

I agree with you 100%. It is good for those who already have TVs. Then again, $200 seems a bit steep. IMO.. I am in a process of getting a new TV and I will not do so until they will implement Cinema 3D glasses and make Google on it.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
USB2.0?! If it is possible, upgrade to USB3.0 for much much more performance (and hoping the price not to sky-rocket)
P.S. Finally, someone good enough to come up with such nice product!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]I agree with you 100%. It is good for those who already have TVs. Then again, $200 seems a bit steep. IMO.. I am in a process of getting a new TV and I will not do so until they will implement Cinema 3D glasses and make Google on it.[/citation]

I wouldn't want a processor built into my tv. A tv should last 6-8 years or more..... a processor will be out of date in 1-2 years, especially these ARM processors which are making improvements every year. You would end up with a tv with a lame duck processor in it. The USB model makes a lot more sense to me anyway.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I wouldn't want a processor built into my tv. A tv should last 6-8 years or more..... a processor will be out of date in 1-2 years, especially these ARM processors which are making improvements every year. You would end up with a tv with a lame duck processor in it. The USB model makes a lot more sense to me anyway.[/citation]

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.