SurgeX SA-1810 Tear-Down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Swenson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Do one on ZeroSurge

I believe ZeroSurge, Electronic Systems Protection (ESP) and SurgeX are all related companies.

I suspect the multiple brands / companies is either because of legal / tax business structure, or different market focal points (Pro Audio, IT, etc.).

ZeroSurge products should be remarkably similar in design and manufacturing quality (I think they are manufactured in the same facility).

I'd be very interested in learning the differences in quality between ZeroSurge and these guys. I've been relying upon and recommending zerosurge for years in the AV space.... my 1500VA unit only cost around $120, and even though it only has two outlets, it otherwise looks very similar and has been very reliable.

I only wish they allowed zooming on pictures in that article type. Clicking always just sends to the next image and the full screen button just enlarges the website, not the images.

umm, i just use the browser zoom feature. (mostly becuause i need text larger). The photos zoomed nicely. Try ctl and + or roll the wheel on a wheel mouse in Chrome or firefox. (u probably knew that, i'm mostly commenting to up the comment count so more manufacturers send toys to be disassembled.)

Erik_1

Honorable
Aug 28, 2015
Great write up! I was wondering if you were ever going to cover a series mode surge protector! :) You are spot on about the prices though, so may I suggest some of the Furman units that include similar technology as cheaper, and IMHO better built units?

Not all Furman's have SMP (their term for Series Mode Protection) but the units that do start much cheaper than SurgeX, like the PL-8C which is around $150. Other professional and home protectors have added features and may be more expensive.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

If you haven't read my isobar tear-down:
http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/684-tripp-lite-isobar-tear-down.html

As far as MOV-based protection goes, the isobar does have a nice general build quality and beefy components with doubled-up 20mm MOVs everywhere. However, I was less than impressed by the "isolation" between output banks.

Units based on the Harford patents or similar principles, like the SA-1810, are for people and applications that do not want to worry about MOV endurance and let-through: these have theoretically infinite 6kV/3kA B-class surge endurance with negligible let-through above the AC peak while MOV-based protections, even a chunky one like the isobar, can only take a few shots before MOVs start to fail with typically much higher let-through voltage.

Two different products for two different crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS