[SOLVED] Suspected incorrect answer to A+ question

Nov 9, 2018
UPDATE: I contacted ExamCompass, and before I even had a chance to tell them which question it was, they guessed it was this one. It has now been fixed and re-worded to: "Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, all laptop GPUs come in the form of CPU-integrated graphics." And of course that answer is False. So it's a blunder on ExamCompass's part... They missed the "all" when transcribing the question. Ugh. Makes me think twice about using ExamCompass now.

Original post:

So I posted this question in the CPU forum on this site, and it was immediately deleted by the mods, saying "no homework questions." So I'm trying to post it here, since this is more related to education. It's a really quick question that should be super easy for anyone here on this site to answer.

Anyway, I've been using a site called ExamCompass to take a lot of A+ practice exams, and I came across this question:

"Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, a GPU on a laptop comes in the form of CPU-integrated graphics. True or False?"

Apparently the answer is False but I really think that's incorrect. I'm like 90% sure this is a mistake on ExamCompass's part, but is there ANY reason the answer could really be False?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018
Seems you should study more on what graphics cards laptops use.

Ok, so are you saying it's correct (that the answer is indeed False?) If so, then THANK YOU, and YES, I will continue studying more about this topic. I just really thought that most laptops DO NOT have a dedicated graphics card.

Nov 9, 2018
Please give an example to support your answer.
Well, there are a lot of internet sources which all basically say the following:

"The vast majority of laptops have integrated graphics, which means the GPU (graphics processing unit) is permanently attached to the motherboard, and not removable as it is in a desktop PC." (This one goes on to say that it's specifically in the CPU)...

So I mean... to me, this is common sense: that most non-gaming laptops have no dedicated graphics card -- it's in the CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, there are a lot of internet sources which all basically say the following:

"The vast majority of laptops have integrated graphics, which means the GPU (graphics processing unit) is permanently attached to the motherboard, and not removable as it is in a desktop PC." (This one goes on to say that it's specifically in the CPU)...

So I mean... to me, this is common sense: that most non-gaming laptops have no dedicated graphics card -- it's in the CPU.
Integrated on the motherboard is different than integrated into the CPU.

Wolfshadw

Titan
More than likely, this is a hold over question from years past that never got updated after laptops started getting discrete GPUs. If you're really that concerned, why not contact ExamCompass. It IS just a practice exam, after all.

-Wolf sends

Nov 9, 2018
I think False is the correct answer. The question is pretty much saying all laptops use cpu integrated graphics, which is false.
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to finally concede ... I think that despite wanting to say it's true, it's still actually false, on the technicality that NOT ALL LAPTOPS use integrated graphics, and furthermore, they aren't necessarily integrated into the CPU (they're sometimes a chip on the mobo, right?). But it's so dumb, because the vast majority of laptops do have integrated graphics...

Thanks, by the way.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018
More than likely, this is a hold over question from years past that never got updated after laptops started getting discrete GPUs. If you're really that concerned, why not contact ExamCompass. It IS just a practice exam, after all.

-Wolf sends
Yeah, I did just contact them, actually. We'll see if they respond.

overRev26

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017

The question should have been more specific, thats all i can say.

Nov 9, 2018
The question should have been more specific, thats all i can say.
Agreed. As a mod has pointed out here in this thread, I think it's actually False on the technicality that not all laptops have integrated graphics, despite the fact that most of them do -- causing other people to flag this question as True (I'm certainly not the only one thrown off by it). If the question was worded as "some laptops" (or something similar) then it would be a True statement for sure.

"Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, a GPU on a laptop comes in the form of CPU-integrated graphics. True or False?"
The question needs to be reformulated.

Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, a GPU on a laptop always comes in the form of CPU-integrated graphics. True or False?
FALSE

Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, a GPU on a laptop may come in the form of CPU-integrated graphics. True or False?
TRUE

Reactions: evanya84
Exam questions are very often put in their final form by non-technical types, who lack the capacity to see things in the same literal light in the way that technical types do.

Assumption is imprecision, and non-technical individuals are driven more by assumption than they are by the need to define conditions precisely.

Get an engineer or hard-core tech to re-write the exam questions....

Last edited:
Reactions: evanya84
Although computers are digital/binary there are still questions and answers that have third possibility, maybe and depends on**** and even both of which all may apply as answer to that question.
Speaking of questions, I would question the knowledge of that person that posed it.

Reactions: AllanGH

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Take care with using sites like examcompass. They're free and you get what you pay for. There are many exceptions to the so called rules of laptop design. I have question myself: would an Intel integrated graphics processor be a GPU? I ask this because many laptops use an Intel integrated processor.

USAFRet

Titan
UPDATE: I contacted ExamCompass, and before I even had a chance to tell them which question it was, they guessed it was this one. It has now been fixed and re-worded to: "Due to the compact nature of laptop devices, all laptop GPUs come in the form of CPU-integrated graphics." And of course that answer is False. So it's a blunder on ExamCompass's part... They missed the "all" when transcribing the question. Ugh. Makes me think twice about using ExamCompass now.

Yep.
That comes from a non-techie writing that question.