SW:TOR Gets Firm Release Date, Subscription Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What do you mean??!? I got my email (In Texas, which last I checked was part of the US - until we boot ya'll out...:p ) Saturday morning directly from the SWTOR website.

The released the news worldwide.

species8472

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Why are collectors editions always so damned overpriced?

We'll see if Bioware can pull a rabbit out of its hat with this game. I smell EA's stench all over it!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Its great this news finally made it here. But I'm curious why news is routinely posted 48hrs+ after the actual release? Bioware announced the release day on Saturday, Sept 24.

G

[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]Why are collectors editions always so damned overpriced? We'll see if Bioware can pull a rabbit out of its hat with this game. I smell EA's stench all over it![/citation]
Because there are idiots who buy them = profit.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Because there are idiots who buy them = profit.[/citation]

A buddy of mine wanted to buy a CE from Origins the other day, but they were sold out..

[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]What do you mean??!? I got my email (In Texas, which last I checked was part of the US - until we boot ya'll out...:p ) Saturday morning directly from the SWTOR website. The released the news worldwide.[/citation]

I got my e-mail on Friday :p from Best Buy, where I pre-ordered the collector's edition. Let's hope this is the end all be all mmo that lives forever! hah

[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Because there are idiots who buy them = profit.[/citation]

Hey that's not very nice. :p I consider myself lucky to have left Everquest in 2004, and never got sucked into WoW... when if you do the math, saved me a ton of money :D

You are correct in that it is excessive for what is going to amount to a collection of 1s and 0s. I like it and have always been happy to support Bioware (and even more, Black Isle Studios, if any of those guys are still around) since Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Bhaal.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Here comes another "subscription" game. ...sigh...Too bad. I was thinking of buying. Not now...[/citation]
Wait 1-2 years--most, if not all games will be free-to-play by then.

[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Here comes another "subscription" game. ...sigh...Too bad. I was thinking of buying. Not now...[/citation]

Hi. My name is spectrewind. I was thinking about buying this game. It's based on Star Wars, probably one of the highest grossing, money making IPs of all time, if not thee highest. I expected to play it for free, and not pay monthly for what will probably be the greatest thing since sliced bread (of mmo's). I know there's a lot of back end support needed like customer service, game masters available to help and resolve in-game issues, and run events. I figured they were all volunteers. It's too bad I would have to pay for what should be good and timely service.

"...for a full half-year subscription." That's a fantastic example of weasel-speak. Is that like a "full half-cup of coffee," or a "full half-tank of gas?" The marketing droids who came up with that one need to die in a fire.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Hi. My name is spectrewind. I was thinking about buying this game. It's based on Star Wars, probably one of the highest grossing, money making IPs of all time, if not thee highest. I expected to play it for free, and not pay monthly for what will probably be the greatest thing since sliced bread (of mmo's). I know there's a lot of back end support needed like customer service, game masters available to help and resolve in-game issues, and run events. I figured they were all volunteers. It's too bad I would have to pay for what should be good and timely service.[/citation]

My name is Clonazepam. I'm a narcissistic forum troll.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Idiots, I think not. Reading 101...Collectors Edition. Collectors buy them because it has special value to them. Since this is the first Collectors Edition for a Star Wars game, it is more valuable. I bought TWO of the Collectors Editions. One for me because I am a huge fan and Collector. The second one I sold on Ebay for $400 USD. That profit paid for my Collectors Edition and my subscription fees for the game.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Collector's edition would be bought by people who just want the personal holo-dancer, but don't be fooled. Anyone who's played the Beta will tell you that the dancers DO NOT DANCE. They just kinda sway from side-to-side and then spin. So weak..

G

[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]Idiots, I think not. Reading 101...Collectors Edition. Collectors buy them because it has special value to them. Since this is the first Collectors Edition for a Star Wars game, it is more valuable. I bought TWO of the Collectors Editions. One for me because I am a huge fan and Collector. The second one I sold on Ebay for $400 USD. That profit paid for my Collectors Edition and my subscription fees for the game.[/citation]

Whether it has special value to them doesn't matter. From an economic standpoint, they're being stupid. You yourself have preyed on that stupidity by charging someone over 2x it's retail price.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You do realize that for the most part subscription games are actually the least expensive.

Most F2P games require you to buy things essential for higher end game play and I read a statistic, I think was in PC Gamer, may have been Maximum PC, that on average someone paid more per month on a F2P game than a sub game.

Honestly, I think Arenanet doesn't get enough credit for making Guild Wars a F2P game that requires no essential gameplay items to be purchased with real money. The most essential thing a player may need to buy with GW is bank space. But things like the skill packs can easily be obtained in game for free and the other things are pure vanity.

So I have no problem with Star Wars or any other game having a subscription fee. It generally tends to be least expensive and offers a level playing field for all players.

G

[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Hey that's not very nice. [/citation]
No, it isn't. However, when I tell people they're stupid for smoking or investing in high risk companies, that's not nice either.

G

After playing Order and Chaos on my Droid, the days of $15/mo. MMORPG's are done for me. It's free for 90 days, and $3.00 for a 6 month subscription and every bit as fun as WOW was. And I can play it anyplace I want.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Whether it has special value to them doesn't matter. From an economic standpoint, they're being stupid. You yourself have preyed on that stupidity by charging someone over 2x it's retail price.[/citation]

Special value is relative to the buyer. You may collect Corvettes while someone else collects comic books. Cost of a unique item like this gains value over time. Hence a good investment. Are far as preying, the item was bid on from $200 to the final value of $400. There was demand from people that want this item. Will it be worth $400 in ten years, IDK. Either way, it is a hobby and provides joy regardless of the expense.

I guess I must be very much in the minority when I say that I'm kinda over Star Wars (especially after the awful prequels). Yes, I realise this is Old Republic, but nonetheless, it's all just getting a bit tired. Like I said, I must be in the minority.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I guess I must be very much in the minority when I say that I'm kinda over Star Wars (especially after the awful prequels). Yes, I realise this is Old Republic, but nonetheless, it's all just getting a bit tired. Like I said, I must be in the minority.[/citation]

No, I definitely agree. With the movies done and over with, there is no wait between sequels for companies to fill with unique content... now it's all just rehashing the same things we've known for decades, or trying to capitalize on the niche Extended Universe fans by doing games based on the Old Republic.

Although, I wouldn't mind a POST-trilogy game setting...

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Pfft...what you guys want and what is sound business does not go together. I played the beta and it did get boring but only for the fact that it was a limited amount of people to do coop or group quests and the fact that PvP always got uneven. The balance was good between classes though and Sith or Jedi are not OP. I'm sure too they won't have lvl 40s in with lvl 8s like in the beta. This game is honestly worth the subscription. I hate to free advertise but everyone loves Star Wars and this game brings the love.

Status
Not open for further replies.