Question Swapping out PSU/Need reommendations

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
I currently have a 500W EVGA PSU, which I've had for awhile and I'm looking to replace. I've tried to do some research on what PSU brands and units are good, but I'm still kinda confused. I thought EVGA and corsair were reputable, but maybe I'm wrong?

Below is my current configuration

Intel I5-7500
MSI 1660 Super 6GB
16 GB GDDR4 RAM
250 GB SSD

Any tips or recommendation would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
It's "ok". It's about the lowest quality 80 PLUS Gold PSU you can get.

If $70 is your budget, I would stick with a Corsair CX550 (non-modular version) or Antec NeoEco Zen 500W.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the 5 year warranty and 80 gold rating made it a good choice.

Is there a reason you recommend those units over the EVGA? Just curious...

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
Between those, I'd take the CXm. There are no "reputable" reviews of any of the B5 series units but considering the history of all the B series models aside from the B2 units, I would not take the chance. The B3 series were extremely terrible, blowing up during testing and since we know EVGA has moved away from Super Flower for practically all of their budget units, the results have been underwhelming to say the least. The CXm isn't fantastic either, but it's at least better than the older CX units prior to 2017 and is not a series that has been demonstrated to have significant early failure issues or problems in being used in gaming systems. I will say though that given the price, if you actually NEED a 550w unit, get a 650w unit if you're going to go with a CX or CXm model. In fact, that would be wise when choosing a budget or mediocre power supply no matter what model it is.

heavy-reign

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2015
Between those, I'd take the CXm. There are no "reputable" reviews of any of the B5 series units but considering the history of all the B series models aside from the B2 units, I would not take the chance. The B3 series were extremely terrible, blowing up during testing and since we know EVGA has moved away from Super Flower for practically all of their budget units, the results have been underwhelming to say the least. The CXm isn't fantastic either, but it's at least better than the older CX units prior to 2017 and is not a series that has been demonstrated to have significant early failure issues or problems in being used in gaming systems. I will say though that given the price, if you actually NEED a 550w unit, get a 650w unit if you're going to go with a CX or CXm model. In fact, that would be wise when choosing a budget or mediocre power supply no matter what model it is.

I actually could get away with using a 450W PSU, but would prefer the extra cushion.

I guess it would be smarter to shell out a little bit more and get this instead:
CORSAIR TX-M Series TX550M