Swapping the fans of the NZXT Kraken X62. Will I need a fan cable splitter?

KrisMemes

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I'm going to be buying my system soon and I want to get an AIO with RGB that is Asus Aura Sync compatible. Since I didn't like the design or see any great reviews on the AIO's that have RGB and are Asus Aura Sync compatible I thought I would just replace the fans of an AIO with fans that are RGB and are compatible. I know that the RGB on the pump is incompatible but that is fine by me. My question is would I need a fan cable splitter for the fans that I'm getting or is there a splitter that comes with the Kraken X62 that will work?

I'm getting MasterCooler MasterFan Pro RGBs btw.

Solution
What you want is going to be convoluted to say the least. Here's how it works. The aio comes with 2 fans, so normally you'd install exactly the same as nzxt directions, a fan is just a fan. But! Here's the gimmick, those RGB fans are 3pin. There's an additional proprietary 4pin (do NOT think that's a pwm, even if it IS the same connector) just for the leds. The nzxt fans are pwm. So something has to give, somewhere, and that means using a splitter to a sys_fan header, as you can't use the nzxt provided pwm, it's dedicated as in no controllable 12v source for fans. So. The cpu fans are on sys_fan1 and pump is on cpu_fan, this allows CAM to still control pump speeds according to liquid temps as the tach will be from cpu_fan header.

So...

KrisMemes

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I'll definitely consider getting those RGB frames, thanks for showing me them!

You also have to decide what factors are more important to you .... Are the LEDs on the Kraken worth twice the price and the substantial drop in performance / noise ratio as compared with say a Noctua NH-D15
Thank you for the suggestion and the fast reply but I've already made up my mind when it comes to my cooler (if you want my reasoning I can tell you but it would have to be a pretty long comment).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you want is going to be convoluted to say the least. Here's how it works. The aio comes with 2 fans, so normally you'd install exactly the same as nzxt directions, a fan is just a fan. But! Here's the gimmick, those RGB fans are 3pin. There's an additional proprietary 4pin (do NOT think that's a pwm, even if it IS the same connector) just for the leds. The nzxt fans are pwm. So something has to give, somewhere, and that means using a splitter to a sys_fan header, as you can't use the nzxt provided pwm, it's dedicated as in no controllable 12v source for fans. So. The cpu fans are on sys_fan1 and pump is on cpu_fan, this allows CAM to still control pump speeds according to liquid temps as the tach will be from cpu_fan header.

So how to control the fans, simple. SpeedFan. You can set SpeedFan associations between sensors and headers. You want case fans to respond to gpu temps? No worries, just use SpeedFan to operate case fans from the gpu temp address. So, you'll set sys_fan1 header to be associated with cpu core temps. Then set fan curves accordingly.

So, RGB via mobo software from 4pin plugs.
Cpu AIO fans via sys_fan1, setup as cpu core Temp association.
Pump via cpu_fan header, operated by CAM

Solution

KrisMemes

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Sorry but it's just a lot of information that I don't entirely understand, just to confirm, I should buy a 4 pin splitter cable for the RGB (if I need it, I'll check if my mobo has enough RGB headers), a 3 pin splitter cable for the fans and I'll just use SpeedFan in order to control the speeds of the fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you get the RGB fans, they come each with a switch that'll change the colors and affects. Or, you can use the separately buyable hub, that'll control all the fans simultaneously. Or if you are fortunate enough to use certain mobo's, there's headers for the lights using software to control the RGB. That whole thing is entirely separate from the fan. The RGB use the 4pin connector only, it's 5v. If you use the 4pin on a pwm header, that's 12v and bye bye RGB. So don't confuse lights and fans, they are 2 totally separate things. The fans run on the 3pin connector. But, the nzxt has a dedicated pwm setup, it will not control 3pin fans at all. So you'll need a 3pin x2 splitter to a sys_fan header for fan control, setup by SpeedFan. For the RGB, you'll need as many splitters as you need, depends on the amount of RGB headers (think there is just 2x 5050 headers by the I/O) to split among however many RGB lights you are using. If just the 2 fans, then you just run each RGB to a header or use a long splitter, whichever is easier or looks better overall.